shopping cart empty
A Walking Solar Oven on your back...Handy
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/29/2021 11:33:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
A Walking Solar Oven on your back...Handy
Solar Panels use sunlight in 3 main ways:

10% of light is reflected back
15% of light is converted into electricity (EMF)
75% of light is converted into heat

Solar Panels produce more heat than the ground does on a hot sunny day.
The ground reflects around 30% while converting 70% into Heat.

This also means that Solar Panels everywhere will make the local area Hotter than it would normally have been.

It's like you can't get ahead in this Universe. In fact it appears you can't break even either.
lol ThermoDynamics you BITCH XD
#2 (permalink)      7/29/2021 11:40:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
+2 details
What? You mean Green Energy is not the Gawd Given Answer(tm)? How can this be? Why the deception?

Anyone who thinks the future is dependent on Green Energy is a Non-Engineer. I apologize for the foul language however enough with this stupidity. Green Energy cannot even cover the increase in use of electricity year over year. There's simply no way to supply the baseload that our World requires currently with Renewable Energy. It is such an insanely DILUTED form of Energy Harvesting. Conversion to Solar, Wind, etc is a stupid distraction and waste of time/money as well. The answer is very clear. Nuclear is the only option left to us. Don't agree? Fine. How about we wait and see how fukn horrible next summer (2022) is. Let's wait as long as everyone wants to. It probably wouldn't make a difference at this point anyways.
#3 (permalink)      7/29/2021 6:21:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5855
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3765
I feel bad letting you talk to yourself this way so whatchya say about Hydrogen?
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#4 (permalink)      7/29/2021 10:47:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
+1 details
Wylie wrote:

I feel bad letting you talk to yourself this way so whatchya say about Hydrogen?

The fuel density is too low at the moment. Hydride storage or Ammonia might be solutions however at the moment a Hydrogen Car carries about 2 lbs of hydrogen per tank (High Pressure).
My Honda's Fuel Tank holds about 40 lbs of Hydrogen. That's too much of a difference.
Hydrogen will make an excellent alternative to Hydrocarbon Fuels however I believe the answer for the average consumer as far as transportation is EV's that use Super Capacitors rather than batteries. Makes accidents much more sparkly! :D

#5 (permalink)      7/29/2021 11:12:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5855
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3765
What flavor Honda holds 40 lbs. of Hydrogen? I'm not really up to snuff with the EVs and searching the term went here of all places. Yeah, my googler thing might be broke, wth?

LMAO, only fitting going out with a bang. Supercaps I agree with although Nikola seems to be in a bind. If memory serves the trucks from Nikola were supposed to incorporate super caps and fuel cells.
Everything from misleading investers to securities fraud. Not laying the way very well!
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#6 (permalink)      7/30/2021 12:56:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3587
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
I'm an engineer. And despite being currently correct(green energy infrastructure), this Earth will be a husk one day from mining and fracking...

Sure, WE will be dead, so if that's how you wanna play it, sure....

But doing what we can, where and when we can, to slow global destruction is only a good thing. It creates new industries, and divides wealth from crooked oil barons, global monopolies, etc.

In Virginia, we told Natural Gas to Suck it, no pipeline through our forests. We already have rail, which is cost effective, and it's an infrastructure already in place. Instead of pipes, build bridges!

That's something an engineer can get behind, lol.

Edited on 7/30/2021 at 2:23 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#7 (permalink)      7/30/2021 2:13:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

I'm an engineer. And despite being currently correct(green energy infrastructure), this Earth will be a husk one day from mining and fracking...Sure, WE will be dead, so if that's how you wanna play it, sure....But doing what we can, where and when we can, to slow global destruction is only a good thing. It creates new industries, and divides wealth from crooked oil barons, etc...In Virginia, we told Natural Gas to Suck it, no pipeline through our forests. We already have rail, which is cost effective, and it's an infrastructure already in place. Instead of pipes, build bridges!That's something an engineer can get behind, lol.

Folks, it's Nuclear or it's Death for Humanity (and a lot of furry critters).
Probably too late but then again I'm not big on Optimism.
As a fellow Ungineer (Chemical) I see a container that's twice as large as it needs to be.

What I learned in 4 years of Chemistry: Alcohol is in fact a Solution. :D

[well, that and also that the location of the Zwitterion is highly dependent on the negative inverse log of the concentration of the Hydronium Ion]

#8 (permalink)      7/30/2021 2:17:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuroraPlasma
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 63
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos14
carrion4worm wrote:

I'm an engineer. And despite being currently correct(green energy infrastructure), this Earth will be a husk one day from mining and fracking...Sure, WE will be dead, so if that's how you wanna play it, sure....But doing what we can, where and when we can, to slow global destruction is only a good thing. It creates new industries, and divides wealth from crooked oil barons, etc...In Virginia, we told Natural Gas to Suck it, no pipeline through our forests. We already have rail, which is cost effective, and it's an infrastructure already in place. Instead of pipes, build bridges!That's something an engineer can get behind, lol.

I'm thinking my brain went for a piss but my fingers kept typing. I think that my 47 liter tank holds around 40 lbs of fuel which is roughly equivalent to 10 lbs of hydrogen (maybe 25% or something). Would need to run numbers and I'm about 4 dabs in to a comatose sleep cycle. lol

#9 (permalink)      7/30/2021 2:22:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3587
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
I see a container with too much in it! (like morons)lol!

If only we could weed them out by intelligence, what an enlightened world we could have!(and longer lasting resources)

I do love furry critters.

Especially chihuahuas.

As far as chemistry, besides illicit drugs in my youth, I have next to no working knowledge! Bolting/welding I beams and gussets, I'm good.

Edited on 7/30/2021 at 3:50 AM. Reason:
#10 (permalink)      7/30/2021 3:40:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SambaBugatti
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 403
  • Reviews 60
  • Kudos310
+2 details
Why You don't start thinking in a different Way? Ask the really important Questions: Where do we need all this Energy for? Do we need shitty big Houses with nearly no Insulation where we need so much Energy to heat and cool it? Do we need 1 or 2 or 3 Cars, bigger and heavier with every new Generation? Do we need to eat so much Meat, pumping so much Methan into the Atmosphere for our dayly Peace of Cadaver ? Why do we have to travel thousands and thousands of Miles every Year? Why do we need Things in colourful Blister Packages ? Why so much new Clothes when we have to throw other Clothes away making Room for the new Ones? I could continue this List for Hours, but these are the Things we need most of the Energy for and we can see that it would be no Problem to reduce our consume of Energy in a big Way. The Outcome would not only reduce our Energy Consum, but it would also Increase our personal Health. Eating less or no Meat and dayry Products is healthier, using the Cars less, going by Feet or Bicycle is healthier etc....etc...
#11 (permalink)      7/30/2021 4:11:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3587
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos2252
I'm keeping my hamburgers and steaks, but yes to alternate solutions. Most solutions we have now are wealth based, not planet or health based. Especially in America, lol.