shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

What build for MTL?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:10:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Source13
  • JoinedJul 2017
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos30
What build for MTL?
I got this yesterday and like it! My only problem is I dont know a good build to put in this, so far ive tried using 28 gauge contact coil with no luck (That setup doesnt work with any atomizer for me, except kayfun lite). So I am asking a noob question and wondering if anyone has any tips? Cheers
#2 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:27:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1469
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1267
+2 details
Define "no luck". I've yet to find a MTL atty that a 28-gauge contact coil won't work in.
#3 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:30:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Source13
  • JoinedJul 2017
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos30
The first few puffs are ok, then they get "shallow" its the best way to describe it. Its like its not wicking properly. It doesnt happen with the kayfun lite though. Or when I use a 24 gauge spaced coil.Thanks for your reply.
#4 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:34:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1469
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1267
If it doesn't seem to be wicking quickly enough, adjust your wicking. Thin out the tails, give them a "haircut", whatever. 24-gauge is really too heavy for MTL - you've got more metal mass to heat up, and you'll wind up cooking your juice on both heat-up and cool-down, which is a good way to add some lovely formaldehyde to your vape. Getting up to atomizing temperature quickly is key.
#5 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:37:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Source13
  • JoinedJul 2017
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos30
Thanks. Ill give it another shot.
#6 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:39:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 1455
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1342
Have you tried spaced coils with lower gauge (26-28 AWG) in the Tripod ?

EDIT:
Also 3mm dia.

Edited on 8/21/2019 at 3:46 AM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      8/21/2019 3:42:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Source13
  • JoinedJul 2017
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos30
desuede wrote:

Have you tried spaced coils with lower gauge (26-28 AWG) in the Tripod ?

No I have yet to try that. I jsut know from experience that when I try doing a 28 awg coil in the dvarw, berserker mini v1.5, etc. The same thing happens, a few puffs then shallow. I will try a 26 awg spaced coil next. Thanks for your reply.

#8 (permalink)      8/21/2019 4:13:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheAtl
  • JoinedApr 2016
  • Posts 6314
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos14251
+2 details
This may sound strange, but have you tried sucking harder?
it's been a long time since i've been me
#9 (permalink)      8/21/2019 4:38:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1469
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1267
+2 details
TheAtl wrote:

That would probably work, and it's the sort of advice I normally give to people having various sorts of trouble with a clearomizer. Dry hits? Close down the airflow and/or suck harder. Flooding (other than from refilling)? Open up the airflow and/or relax your draw. When the coil+wick is what it is, those are your choices.

Thing is, with an RTA, you (usually) have the opportunity to adjust the device to your vape rather than having to adjust your vape to the device. I'd hardly imagine the wicking that works best for my 0.8mm draw and higher-PG liquids would be optimal (or even suitable) for someone who prefers a 1.8mm draw with 70+% VG. Principle's the same, though - the combination of the wick's ability to transport liquid and the difference in air pressure need to be in proper balance.

#10 (permalink)      8/21/2019 5:21:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheAtl
  • JoinedApr 2016
  • Posts 6314
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos14251
essellar wrote:

TheAtl wrote:

That would probably work, and it's the sort of advice I normally give to people having various sorts of trouble with a clearomizer. Dry hits? Close down the airflow and/or suck harder. Flooding (other than from refilling)? Open up the airflow and/or relax your draw. When the coil+wick is what it is, those are your choices.

Thing is, with an RTA, you (usually) have the opportunity to adjust the device to your vape rather than having to adjust your vape to the device. I'd hardly imagine the wicking that works best for my 0.8mm draw and higher-PG liquids would be optimal (or even suitable) for someone who prefers a 1.8mm draw with 70+% VG. Principle's the same, though - the combination of the wick's ability to transport liquid and the difference in air pressure need to be in proper balance.

I absolutely agree. That said, I mostly use direct lung tanks and there is almost zero force to my draw when I do. The mass and heat combined with sparse wicking ensures that my RTAs more or less auto wick so it's never a problem. It's almost impossible to get away with that style of vaping if you are mouth to lunging a Dvarw V1 for instance, I have tried.

Just looking at the two, I believe the Tripod should wick better than the Kayfun if anything in most scenarios, unless you have a weak draw (then the raised deck on the Kayfun comes into play). That's why I suggested the easy solution.

I may be dead wrong though, I often am.

it's been a long time since i've been me
#11 (permalink)      8/22/2019 3:36:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Source13
  • JoinedJul 2017
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos30
I am not sure what made it work, but I did a 26 gauge spaced coil 3mm ID, along with some thinning out of the cotton. Thanks guys!