Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Is this a good brand?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      11/2/2021 12:00:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShahinJ
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2016
  • Posts 575
  • Reviews 400
  • Kudos135
Is this a good brand?
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with this charger? Is it any good?
#2 (permalink)      11/2/2021 8:57:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
$0.50 rebate earned+3 details
It is good but it doesn't offer over heat or over charge protection. I prefer this one SKU 9708609 (black) or SKU 9708610 (white) as it offers those two protections and anti static protection for around 20 cents more.
#3 (permalink)      11/2/2021 9:00:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zarck
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 209
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos128
$0.50 rebate earned+2 details
Well, it's on the "you get what you pay for" kind of range. It's been shown that their chargers do not provide an entirely stable voltage, but in the range of should be OK, kind of...

The normal issue with small AC to 5v is that the safety gap between live mains power and 5v has been too small and in the worse case mains voltage can bridge to 5v and be a death trap (as well as killing your equipment).

The teardowns I've seen just show slight under EU regulations for Olaf. But their chargers have passed safety tests in practice with overvoltage from mains 10-20 times normal EU voltage without bridging.

So at least it should not be a direct death trap. There are also people that been using Olaf chargers for years, so they shouldn't be that bad build quality.

I would personally spend 20c more and get SKU 9708610
#4 (permalink)      11/2/2021 9:16:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShahinJ
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2016
  • Posts 575
  • Reviews 400
  • Kudos135
+1 details
Thanks guys. I actually did purchase SKU 9708610, but I wanted this one too, because of its small size, no blue LED lights (I'm not a fan of these kinds of things) and a dedicated port for 1A and 2.1A respectively.

People say current is pulled, but battery Mooch thinks differently. I tend to agree. So when I charge a device requiring just 1A, I try to use a 1A charger. When charging a device which requires 2A, I try to use a 2A charger.

I noticed this many times when charging my tesla stealth mod. It requires just 1A, and when I charged it using a 2A charger, it would get hot quickly. I feel like when you use a charger with a higher amp rating, it then depends on the device to limit the current being sent to it. So if you have a quality device, using a higher amp charger shouldn't be a problem, but there's a risk, because you're depending on the device to limit the amperage it receives.

Edited on 11/2/2021 at 9:25 AM. Reason: Typos
#5 (permalink)      11/2/2021 1:26:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zarck
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 209
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos128
+1 details
Yes, the theory does not always mix with reality. So the heat might not be different even if you use a current limit as the power supply will still deliver the same input for both channels. Might even be that the 1A channel makes the charger hotter than the 2A channel at 1A due to the limiting circuit. But yes these are only speculations as I have no idea how just this one is built.

I say go for it =)
#6 (permalink)      11/2/2021 4:08:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShahinJ
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2016
  • Posts 575
  • Reviews 400
  • Kudos135
Cool Zarck, decided to go for it, so let's see what happens. Hopefully I'll write a review on it sometime soon.