[dismiss] Holiday closure: from January 27th to February 7th, 2022. Shipping and support will resume on February 8th, 2022. (details)
FastTech wishes you and yours a safe and prosperous year of Tiger 🐱.
Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Is my charger faulty or just my batteries are going bad?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      10/22/2021 9:13:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MitchL
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3962
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos2482
Note: There are both European and US versions.
#12 (permalink)      10/23/2021 2:47:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlienGrey
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 884
  • Reviews 73
  • Kudos645
You can keep using Lithium batteries till the MOD stops. Most MODs stop working when the voltage drops below 3.2V. Newer MODs can go as low as 2.8V but that still safe. That won't make them last less longer.

I'm still using Sony VTC5A that I bought in 2016 and that probably have been charged a few hundreds of times and they still have around 2200 mAh capacity. Always charged them in a charger from 3.2V to 4.2V.

Edited on 10/23/2021 at 2:49 AM. Reason:
"The Truth Is Out There"
#13 (permalink)      10/23/2021 11:17:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zarck
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 204
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos122
Always a good thing when the fault is at a less costly part.

I got a Nitecore "new I4" when my D2 failed. It will only give 750mA at two cells and even less when fully loaded. Still, mine have been more reliable than the D2 ( SKU 5666600 )

I would probably just get another "new i4" if i needed a new today or perhaps a Nitecore F4 ( SKU 9702598 ). But I am a bit on the cheap side =))

If you want to spend more the opus BT-C3100 is probably still the best option ( SKU 2651600 ) and there are also more expensive Nitecore options.

And i should also state that i most of the time just use two channels. But the "new I2" has worse specs for 2 channels than the "new i4".
#14 (permalink)      10/23/2021 12:10:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RattyRat
  • JoinedNov 2015
  • Posts 155
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos76
I did my research here: https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex%20UK.html
I wanted a GyrFalcon All-44... but it's a bit pricey since I have to order it from abroad... maybe from Germany
Than looked at the VC4S SKU 9696244... i mean my VC2S was good... (maybe still is... so this discussion maybe pointless :D) It has "storage" function which can be usefull for me... also has analyzer function, my only problem with it you cant change CCR... why do I wanna do that? to prolong battery life... so if I don't need the battery asap, I just push a button and it goes down to 500-700 mA CCR....
So my choice if I even need one new is LiitoKala lii-500... maybe :D SKU 3984500
Also the "new i4" you linked is looking good... it just seems less user friendly... maybe I look into it a little bit more....
I usually charge 1 battery, and use another, occasionally 2 at a time... I looking at 4 slot charger so maybe I'll buy AAA batteries for my daughter's lego train :) It uses 4... and bit more healthy if you use and charge them simultaneously... I mean always the same 4 set of batteries.

Hard to choose ... hard to choose
But again... maybe only my cable is broken... or the plug... I don't know... using 2 mods, that's 2 18650... and yesterday the charger worked fine again.... and the 12W I use wont eat up much power so can't even test it again yet :D
#15 (permalink)      10/23/2021 1:13:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zarck
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 204
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos122
Reasons to charge at a lower current is that you minimize the risk that anything bad happens. Although most modern chargers do sense and stop charging in the best of worlds.

Think both of your options are as good as my recommendations or even better at least when it comes to charging options.

The new i4 is very simple, but it also lack options. Except for just plug and charge i also use the "revive" function once in a blue moon. Always forget if its one or the other button to press. I also use it for AA/AAA without any issues. I also imagine that the simplicity improves longevity (in combination with always just pushing 50% of max current, as its made for 1.5A, even though it cant provide it for more than once channel), but if its true or not...
#16 (permalink)      10/24/2021 9:56:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4162
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4417
Try using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on both the batts, and the charger. It might cure the problem. if it does, then do the same thing to your mod's contacts.

Because the actual contact area is so small, it only takes a minute amount amount to partially impede the charging. The charger see's how much current it's delivering, and decides the battery is full.

Edited on 10/24/2021 at 9:59 PM. Reason:
Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department