shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Difference (real world vape experience) between VV, Direct Output & Mechanical?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/26/2018 10:14:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuralVirus
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5839
  • Reviews 137
  • Kudos3447
Difference (real world vape experience) between VV, Direct Output & Mechanical?
Besides the obvious.

I love mech mods but have never used a direct output device, anyone have experience with both? How do they compare?

What is the actual experience differences, besides the obvious option of up/down & cost, to a using Direct Output compared to either a Mechanical Mod or setting the Variable Output to the equivalent Volts of the Direct Output device at full power?

ps no need to state the obvious :)

Edited on 7/26/2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason:
My basis theory is that the written word was literally a virus that made spoken word possible. [An aural virus so to speak.] : William S. Burroughs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqukFWVCt04
#2 (permalink)      7/26/2018 10:54:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1463
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1262
+4 details
There are really three things at play: efficiency, consistency and safety.

A very good mechanical setup has the greatest efficiency, but it's inconsistent (the power available at the coil reduces as the battery charge reduces) and (short of a fuse) not particularly safe. By that, I don't mean that vaping on a mech is some sort of death-defying daredevil hobby or anything, but there is nothing between you and your mistakes (or unfortunate happenstance). You need to be knowledgeable enough to know how to stay out of trouble, and vigilant enough to have that knowledge mean anything.

"Direct output" sacrifices some of that efficiency to insert safety paths, like short-circuit protection, max-time cutoffs, over-discharge protection, and the like. The circuitry doesn't need to be very complicated, and can be quite efficient while preventing most low-grade idiots from themselves. It's not at the same level of efficiency as a mech, so you can't get quite as much power out of a given battery. But cheer up! You doget to keep the inconsistency!

VV/VW keeps the safety, reduces the efficiency yet again, but brings consistency to the party. (This assumes a regulated mod, rather than something that just does PWM of direct battery output.) That consistency means that as long as you're not vaping near the maximum available output, you can get increased useful battery life even though you've given up a lot of electrical efficiency. You can't get quite as much power at a full charge as you could with a mech or a good direct output/bypass circuit, but if you're vaping significantly below that, the VV/VW can let you use the battery at charge voltages significantly lower than those which would result in an unsatisfying vape on a mech. And it also means that you're not building for something that's just a little too hot at the beginning, is quite good for some time after the first few puffs, then slowly becomes insipid after a while. You want a 30W or a 3.8V vape? Set the value, and that's what you get from the first puff on a freshly-charged battery until the battery can't provide it anymore. If you're using a regulated VV/VW mod and want to "set the equivalent volts" to what you'd get on a mech, you'd need to turn it down slightly after every pull.
#3 (permalink)      7/26/2018 12:32:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Coops72
  • JoinedMar 2017
  • Posts 1442
  • Reviews 76
  • Kudos2166
+3 details
It’s about the same.

Rage on you crazy diamond.
#4 (permalink)      8/13/2018 10:53:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
rootroll
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 66
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos87
I find VW mods read ever so slightly different resistances every press of the fire button, not consistent.

VV is bob on every time

Edited on 8/13/2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      8/13/2018 11:08:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
A_Stack_O_The_Clones
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 544
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos405
rootroll wrote:

I find VW mods read ever so slightly different resistances every press of the fire button, not consistent.VV is bob on every time

VV doesn't need much in the way of resistance checking, it's just mindlessly punting out a constant voltage. VW needs to calculate the correct voltage from resistance, so if you don't lock it it'll check the coil. Assuming you're using different modes on the same mod the odds are that exactly the same thing is happening in both cases, but you only know about it in one of them.

#6 (permalink)      10/8/2018 9:28:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kavon
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 2249
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos492
Nah, you guys know its all about the 'wave' form ,man.
P.W.M. from sinius to square wave ,dig it?
I like the Luxotic M.F mod becauce the smooth waves man,
And configations galore.
I have the squonk mod and it tops...
#7 (permalink)      10/8/2018 9:28:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kavon
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 2249
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos492
+1 details
Nah, you guys know its all about the 'wave' form ,man.
P.W.M. from sinius to square wave ,dig it?
I like the Luxotic M.F mod becauce the smooth waves man,
And configations galore.
I have the squonk mod and it tops...