shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Resistance and wraps
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      2/4/2021 8:25:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hunterrrrr
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 70
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos33
Resistance and wraps
What ohms will I get with 5 or 6 wraps??
My website = ***Longliveledzeppelin.blogspot.com*** = Hundreds of Led Zeppelin bootlegs, all free!
#2 (permalink)      2/4/2021 9:40:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2215
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1919
It's much faster to use a coil calculator than to post to a forum and get an answer you can trust as much as you can usually trust "some guy on the internet". (And FastTech isn't going to make and measure a coil for you.) I'd suggest steam-engine dot org, and the calculator you want is usually the "Wire Wizard". (Mech mod users may prefer the "Coil wrapping" calculator, but it works sort of backwards - you tell it what resistance you want and what wire you're using, then it tells you how many wraps and what the heating characteristics are like. Also, the "Coil wrapping" calculator doesn't really do claptons; you'll need to calculate based on the core wire(s). If you're using a regulated variable-wattage or variable-voltage mod, the Wire Wizard is a lot simpler to use: you tell it the coil you're building, and it tells you what resistance you'll get, and you can directly build most fused claptons. Both will handle ribbon wire, which is the core of at least one of the wires you're asking about, and will do both AWG and metric wire sizes.)

That said, a 3mm ID coil made from this wire with 5 wraps will be between 0.3 and 0.32, depending on leg length (and leg length is mostly determined by how the posts are arranged in your atty). A 6-wrap coil will be about 0.35 to 0.37. Both will be quite large - you're working with wire that's about 1.6mm wide if the clapton wrap is tight - and heavy, and will take some time or some power to heat up to vaping temperature.
#3 (permalink)      2/16/2021 2:29:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hunterrrrr
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 70
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos33
Thanks. Idk if it's me or not but I never get accurate calculations from the coil calculator. To be honest, usually just guessing with the info of the wire and what I know in my head gets me a better reading than coil calculations.

But thanks for the info mate. I've found that these types of fancy shmancy wire aren't for me. I like higher ohms. So usually just a double or triple core parallel fused clap works great for me. And I like direct lung, but I still use some mtl superfine wire and they work great for me, so I can tell you that mtl wire isn't just for mtl lol.

Anyway, I've pretty much found my way, thanks mate.
My website = ***Longliveledzeppelin.blogspot.com*** = Hundreds of Led Zeppelin bootlegs, all free!
#4 (permalink)      2/16/2021 9:46:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2215
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1919
For what it's worth, most "MTL" fused claptons are pretty much useless for actual MTL - that is, anything with a draw no looser than a couple of cigarettes taped together. They're great for restricted DL up to about 35 watts per coil, though. (2 32-gauge core wires with a fine wrap sort of work for MTL, but they don't do much beyond requiring extra power to heat up and maybe a placebo effect for some users. Round wire's all you ever need for MTL.)

Edited on 2/19/2021 at 8:23 PM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      2/17/2021 12:45:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2292
  • Reviews 261
  • Kudos1181
Vandy Vape makes some really good TINY claptons that is also available by the spool. I have to break out the ole bi-focals, though, lol. Once you hear that delightful "crackle", you'll know why many prefer it over 24,26g round wire.
Insert idiotic mantra here.
#6 (permalink)      2/17/2021 1:43:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2072
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos1634
+1 details
essellar wrote:

For what it's worth, most "MTL" fused claptons are pretty much useless for actual MTL...

...(2 32-gauge core wires with a fine wrap sort of work for MTL, but they don't do much beyond requiring extra power to heat up and maybe a placebo effect for some users. Round wire's all you ever need for MTL.)

I concur.

Some are absolutely adamant that if one goes for good quality 1 ohm + fancy coils, especially from small bespoke coil-makers (apparently better than cheap pre-made from China), the MTL vape is 'much better' than with straight Ka. That however is not my experience.

I've tried numerous hand-made and mass produced, yet return to standard Kanthal micro-coils every time. In my view, for MTL, the performance of complex coils (over 1 ohm) is at best on par with ordinary wire, but with a slightly longer ramp-up time.

So with no obvious advantage, why pay £10 plus for a couple of tiny fancy coils, when you can do it yourself for a fraction of a penny?

Just my take...

#7 (permalink)      3/1/2021 11:45:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hunterrrrr
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 70
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos33
carrion4worm wrote:

Once you hear that delightful "crackle".

I know exactly what you mean my friend. I get thwt from the wotofo coils I have. And the flat 0.03x0.08 alien spool and I've been loving the staggered fused wire off the XFKM spool I got from here. Those a are my main coils lately

I used that superfine stainless steel vandy vape wire a few times and I like it. But you see those wotofo tubes? Yeah those and that staggered fused are my main wire lately oh and that demon Killer 0.03x0.08 alien. That stuff is great from Amazon. The one next to it is the same wire just xfkm brand from here.

#8 (permalink)      3/1/2021 11:46:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hunterrrrr
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 70
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos33
#9 (permalink)      3/1/2021 12:18:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2292
  • Reviews 261
  • Kudos1181
Here's what I use, very few Atties get round wire, and receive mini claptons, 2x28g with 40g wrap...if I can squeeze it in there, that's a great option! All the Wotofo wire is excellent and great quality.

Most of what you see are used in single coil applications around .2 in normal 2.5/3mm I.D. , 4/5 wraps. Another Wotofo spool is Juggernaut, which also is in that same resistance range. To me, these are too low for dual coil use....but, if you like fast firing, clean looking complex wraps at .1 and lower, go for it, just don't use a mech without proper cells!

The little glass Vandy Vape tube is the best thing out of China right now, lol! They are Requiem rda coils, the same that come with the atty! .26, but fires like a .17, fast and clean and cheap! They are perfect for single cell mechs and mosfet mods...you won't believe the performance!
#10 (permalink)      3/1/2021 12:25:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 2292
  • Reviews 261
  • Kudos1181
#11 (permalink)      3/2/2021 7:42:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hunterrrrr
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 70
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos33
+1 details
Thanks manI've pretty much found what I like. I want to try those wotofo spools but I'd where to buy them. They're out of stock here. I got those little tubes on a site called health cabinet. They have the glass vandytubes you mentioned. I'm not trying to order from that site anymore tho.
I'm stocking up tho. I have a shitload of 0.03x0.08 alien spools, 4 I think. I have 4 of the gold spools xfkm staggered fused, I'm in love with that wire, I just ordered 3 more. I ordered some ribbon wire from here too. 0.14mmX1.0mm ribbon it was a deal for two 30ft spools. I'm about to place another order for spools here, I'm trying to stock up heavy before this vape mail ban. I'm up to 30 120ml bottles of ejuice lol and still am otdering more soon. Plus I'm going to order the a crap load of pg/vg and flavor so I can make my own once I learn
Thanks for the help mate