Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Mech mod experience?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/16/2018 3:12:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Feldrod
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 37
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos10
Mech mod experience?
Hi guys.
So this wire - at least in precoiled version - is readily available both here and on different vendors.
Does any of you have experience with it in mechanical mods? Preferabily Siren 2 @ 3mm diameter.
I heard this wire is absolutely brilliant for MTL vaping but all I heard were related to regulated mods and/or VV Berserker/VV Berserker Mini which by experience of users is best to have 2.5mm dia. coils, unlike on Siren where 3mm dia. is seen as ideal.
Also any unrelated experience is also welcome. What about how springy the wire is, is it hard to correct hotspots, gunking and cleaning, just any experience is welcome so we who haven't tried this wire may get some picture of "is it worth it?"
#2 (permalink)      4/17/2018 4:38:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Squonk_life
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2016
  • Posts 1311
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos807
I run this wire in my berserker mini .6-.8 2.5mm on an 18350 dingo,le petit gros, and an miniB. The wire is fine, it does what it's suppose to do. I also have a similar build in my doggy style. The wire is not springy. I've been hand wrapping it b/c I can't find my coil jig
Squonklife
#3 (permalink)      4/17/2018 5:05:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
single cell

series

both 316L superfine

Edit: Ooops, you posted the Ni80

Edited on 4/17/2018 at 5:07 AM. Reason:
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#4 (permalink)      4/19/2018 2:24:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Feldrod
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 37
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos10
Wylie wrote:

single cellseriesboth 316L superfineEdit: Ooops, you posted the Ni80

The SS one. May you try it on single cell mech? If there is any ramp up time etc.?
Otherwise nice clean builds. :)

#5 (permalink)      4/19/2018 4:20:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2027
+1 details
Ramp-up with this stuff? Nope, not with anything like a normal build. It's about as "slow" as 26-gauge round wire of the same material, with a resistance about the same as 27-gauge. I think it works better for a restricted DL (think NarDA or similar) than for MTL, though. The kanthal version - assuming you can ever find it, since the only place I've ever seen it is in Vandy Vape's literature - would be better for MTL on an 18650/2x700 mech. On an 18350 or 18500, the voltage drop should calm it down quite a bit, but a normal MTL build will run around 20-ish watts on a fresh 18650, and that's a bit hot.
#6 (permalink)      4/19/2018 8:55:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
Yes the dual coil 316L works nicely with very little ramp up on a fresh battery. The wire is two 30 gauge wrapped with 36, there isn't much metal mass to heat.

Edited on 4/21/2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason:
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#7 (permalink)      4/19/2018 10:48:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Dandemonic
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 259
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos485
I don't use any type of premade wire these days, so can't give direct experience of Vandy Vape wires, but my regular builds are "super fine" fused claptons, made with Daedalus jig, so my experience with that may be of use to you.

I'm using 30awg x2 wrapped in 40awg, all 316L, dual coil, 6 wraps spaced, 3.5mm ID, approx 0.31 ohms.

The wire isn't springy at all, is easy to work with, wraps well, and the ramp up time on a single 18650 mech is negligible, first firing from cold takes half a second or so to ramp up.

I have made 32+32 40 316L fused clapton wire and that was quite springy by comparison, the 30awg seems to be much stiffer to work with.

Dunno about hot spots, probably be similar to other clapton type wires, strum and squeeze etc, only using spaced coils these days.

The 30+30 40 gunks up slower than lower gauge builds, but YMMV, I use a somewhat sweet ADV juice that's prone to gunking up coils.

I prefer an open DL vape, but not a hot one, this wire suits my needs well across a variety of rda's and rta's, I mostly use mechs and mech squonkers so can't really comment on regulated performance or TC, never use TC anyway.

It works ok for restricted DL, dunno about MTL or single coil performance. Vandy vape super fine SS will most likely perform very similarly.

I would recommend you try the vandy vape wire as I think you will like it, and maybe if this information helps you decide, hopefully you will also find it worthwhile enough to provide feedback for other forum members.

Edited on 4/19/2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason:
BFYTW
#8 (permalink)      4/20/2018 4:44:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Feldrod
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 37
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos10
Thanks. I am actually thinking about getting NarBa for restricted DL.
I would love to make my own wires and I thought about coping VV's superfine both because I have pure hate for VV and that maybe I can make some adjustions (using lower gauge wire, more wires in core to make it more flat etc.) but here where I come from nothing like hobbyist shop exists here and only usable swivels are $30 and up and I do not know which swivels from here or GB are suitable so I will probably stay in a world of pre-made wire and homemade twists and parallels.
I really thought about this wire for appx. 0.85ohm (that's where I like my MTL to be) as a lot of people were so enthusiastic about this wire but well... Thanks for replies :D
#9 (permalink)      5/24/2018 3:25:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Kiicki
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 24
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos5
I didn't use a mech mod, but I did use a non variable wattage mod. Eleaf Pico squeeze to be more specific, and it was brilliant for MTL. The stock coil that comes with the Berserker RDA is the same wire as this one. I think it was 4.5 wraps, 2.5mm ID and it gave me a hot MTL vape. Some might prefer a bit cooler vape, but I was satisfied.