shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Auto firing, also leaks.
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/30/2018 6:25:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Dandemonic
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 259
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos485
$1.67 rebate earned+11 details
Auto firing, also leaks.
Leaky mod now auto-firing.

My Luxotic BF leaks from the 510 internally, see this thread of mine and the Leaking Bastard thread for background info.

Fasttech has refunded me, they have been very helpful all along, and I consequently have an alternative replacement on the way, but meantime I kept using the mod despite the leak.

I am aware that I was taking a chance using a malfunctioning device so this is not a whinge just wanted to let Luxotic BF owners and potential purchasers of my experience of a serious fault in addition to the leaky 510.

I have been using the mod with a Loop RDA, which doesn't cause as much leakage inside the mod, and regularly cleaning up the small drops of juice before they could spread to the PCB.

It'd performed fine until a couple of days ago when it auto fired twice, but worked normally again after a battery pull.

Today it auto fired after a few vapes, since that occurred it's auto firing at all times when battery is inserted, and can only be turned off by pulling the battery. The switch doesn't work to stop the auto firing at all.

As there's no safety timer the mod just keeps firing...

The Wismec is now a Wasmec...

As it's going in the bin I used unnecessary force to brutally dismantle it.

There's no obvious fault and there's nothing visibly damaged apart from wire insulation being split in one spot, the insulation on the wires is very poor quality btw.

There's some juice on part of the PCB which may have caused issues, this was my main suspicion of the auto firing cause but I'm not sure, I'm no technician.

Sorry for the low quality pics, latest Oneplus oreo update seems to have affected camera quality.

On the bottle side of the PCB is a small amount of juice...

None on the switch side...

If there's any leakage at all in the area juice will get trapped against the lower part of the PCB where it can't be reached to clean it off.

It's the lower part of the board nearer the bottle in this gif of the leaking 510...

Hopefully no one else will have the same issue, as it's a definite safety hazard.
BFYTW
#2 (permalink)      5/30/2018 6:56:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jorgesilva
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 28
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos6
+1 details
The same happened with my old pico squeeze...
Wismec at its best :(
It is a shame that they can' t find a way to work things out!!!!

Edited on 5/30/2018 at 6:59 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      5/30/2018 7:21:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 6927
  • Reviews 275
  • Kudos3921
+1 details
I might just open my Aurora when it gets here and insulate the board in silicone or epoxy; I had a tank leak on my tesla touch and its now useless (screen doesnt come up) and I hate when that crap happens
non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#4 (permalink)      5/30/2018 7:41:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Dandemonic
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 259
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos485
+1 details
jorgesilva wrote:

The same happened with my old pico squeeze...
Wismec at its best :(
It is a shame that they can' t find a way to work things out!!!!

It is a shame @jorgesilva you would think a major mod manufacturer like Wismec would realise by now that e juice and electronics don't mix well.

martinc wrote:

I might just open my Aurora when it gets here and insulate the board in silicone or epoxy; I had a tank leak on my tesla touch and its now useless (screen doesnt come up) and I hate when that crap happens

Sounds like a good idea @martinc possibly saves you ending up with a dead or malfunctioning mod.

A shame though that we end users are left to try deal with the consequences of what seems to be mostly poor QA and design.

With only a little more effort and thought by the manufacturer it's likely these issues would not occur.

Perhaps this would add a little extra cost per unit, I'd be happy to pay that bit extra to be assured of a functional device.

Hard to count the actual cost of reputational damage to a manufacturer's business, but in the long term it is probably more money than is saved initially by cutting corners on design and manufacturing.

BFYTW
#5 (permalink)      5/31/2018 1:01:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
A_Stack_O_The_Clones
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 557
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos413
+1 details
Same thing happened with mine, minus the autofiring. Cleaned it up and flooded the fucker with potting compound, that seems to have sorted it.
Shame really, in theory it's a nice middle ground between disposable-grade el cheapo mech squonkers and actually good devices. I can see a lot of first timers being fucked off by this problem. The way it wicks juice along the battery ribbon to make sure absolutely everything gets covered is a particularly nice touch.
#6 (permalink)      5/31/2018 1:40:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Dandemonic
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 259
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos485
+2 details
Yeah that battery ribbon juice wick is great isn't it @A_Stack_O_The_Clones the first time I've seen that "feature" included as standard.

Good idea filling it up with compound, hopefully you'll get a decent amount of use out of it.

Wish I'd done so now, might be a worthwhile thing to do in future when in doubt.

You're right about first time users, I'm sure there were some who went with the luxotic for the safety features, with the mech like experience, it's likely to leave a lasting impression of unreliability for some.

If the juice isn't leaking enough to be noticed, it's possible juice is still dripping on the pcb out of sight, causing unexpected malfunctions in time.

Even on mods that have leaked already, there's no apparent way to be sure all the juice is off the entire pcb without partially dismantling the internals, or rinsing the pcb area with isopropyl.

I mostly use mech squonkers so I'm used to keeping an ear out for anything dodgy like prolonged firing, so picked up on it auto firing fairly quickly.

A novice user might not know how to react to auto firing to avoid further damage, so may end up injured.

If someone didn't know to be wary and vaped on it, then left the room for a while, not realising it's now auto firing, who knows what the outcome could be?

I contacted Wismec directly and pointed them to this and other fasttech forum posts, in the hope they'll try to fix this issue in future production runs.

They claim they will of course.
BFYTW
#7 (permalink)      6/2/2018 4:06:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EAdams76
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 8
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos5
+3 details
One of my 3 leaked like nobody's business internally. Would run out from under the inner plastic insert on the bottom. Fasttech took care of me. Still it's annoying. And a friend's is doing the auto-fire thing now. She just dropped it off. Would be nice if they got this mod right. Worse comes to worst I'll just gut it and make it a full mech.
#8 (permalink)      6/2/2018 4:38:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JessVapin
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 8551
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos22300
+2 details
I think I've decided in the short term to just fill it with silicone til I want to mod it. I mean literally, fill the entire area that little screwed plate covers with silicone. Should keep the liquid contained for now I think. Sanitary for a long time?...probably not. lol
I'll be in and out.
#9 (permalink)      6/2/2018 4:59:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EAdams76
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 8
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos5
+1 details
Nice post btw. Thanks
#10 (permalink)      6/3/2018 5:56:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
A_Stack_O_The_Clones wrote:

I can see a lot of first timers being fucked off by this problem.

Potential leaking like this is the reason I never tried squonking. It’s bad enough to have a leak on the outside, but on the inside…where you can’t see it?

I’ll pass.

#11 (permalink)      6/11/2018 6:29:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
oilreg
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 222
  • Reviews 128
  • Kudos58
+3 details
after i was able to fix my leaking with some glue... i was able to use my luxotic bf again..
but now... a few weeks later ... i am facing the autofiring issue as well

seriously WISMEC what garbage do you sell?

since i didnt buy mine with FT, i wrote to wismec directly they offered a replacement, BUT
they said they are not sure if i will receive the express ... and also they dont provide any tracking code...
hence makes me wonder... where is the proof that they ever sent it out..

i am still waiting for the replacement luxotic since may 25