shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Voltage cutoff?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/28/2018 12:17:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Punkmati
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 60
  • Reviews 42
  • Kudos8
Voltage cutoff?
Someone can tell me the voltage cutoff of this mod? I mean, How low is going to drain the battery? Thanks!
#2 (permalink)      1/28/2018 1:19:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
The cutoff is usually set at 3V ±10%, per cell, for 3.6/3.7V nominal lithium battery operated devices.

The cuttoff depend on that setting, but also on the power the device is using relative to the battery's capability.
#3 (permalink)      1/29/2018 6:00:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Punkmati
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 60
  • Reviews 42
  • Kudos8
+1 details
JPBel wrote:

The cutoff is usually set at 3V ±10%, per cell, for 3.6/3.7V nominal lithium battery operated devices.

The cuttoff depend on that setting, but also on the power the device is using relative to the battery's capability.

Usually, there are lots of mod out there with a cutoff at 3.5v whats make them quite unpractical. I own one, the Smoant Charon, its cutoff is between 3.5 3.6 with a Samsung 25R. So I hope someone who has this mods can answer this more precisely.

#4 (permalink)      1/29/2018 6:40:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nezzy
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 37
  • Kudos363
As JP said it depends on how much power you are asking for, but as a test I put some depleted batteries in.

At about 25 Watts it seems to cut out just below 3.2 volts.
#5 (permalink)      1/29/2018 6:57:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Punkmati
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 60
  • Reviews 42
  • Kudos8
Nezzy wrote:

As JP said it depends on how much power you are asking for, but as a test I put some depleted batteries in.

At about 25 Watts it seems to cut out just below 3.2 volts.

Thanks you! Quite efficient!

#6 (permalink)      1/29/2018 7:15:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
The cutoff is 3V ±10%, per cell, for all VV/VW mods.

The power usage relative to the battery's capability, including the mod's inefficiency, is what determine the battery's voltage colapse under a load.

The 3.5 3.6 voltage you are talking about mean that your battery is almost half charged.
But it can no longer provide the current you are asking of it.
When that happen, the battery's voltage colapse below the 3V ±10% cutoff point.

Vaping at a different wattage or using different batteries or using a different mod will all produce different voltages when measuring the battery under a no load condition.

Not only the efficiency can differ from a mod to an other, theirs efficiency also change with the build you put on them.

State your vaping parameters if you want a precise answer.
Because those vaping at 20W will tell you 3.1V and those vaping at 85W will tell you 3.7V, or even 4.0V depending on the battery the user is using.
#7 (permalink)      1/29/2018 7:21:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Punkmati
  • JoinedMay 2017
  • Posts 60
  • Reviews 42
  • Kudos8
Vaping witJPBel wrote:

The cutoff is 3V ±10%, per cell, for all VV/VW mods.

The power usage relative to the battery's capability, including the mod's inefficiency, is what determine the battery's voltage colapse under a load.

The 3.5 3.6 voltage you are talking about mean that your battery is almost half charged.
But it can no longer provide the current you are asking of it.
When that happen, the battery's voltage colapse below the 3V ±10% cutoff point.

Vaping at a different wattage or using different batteries or using a different mod will all produce different voltages when measuring the battery under a no load condition.

Not only the efficiency can differ from a mod to an other, theirs efficiency also change with the build you put on them.

State your vaping parameters if you want a precise answer.
Because those vaping at 20W will tell you 3.1V and those vaping at 85W will tell you 3.7V, or even 4.0V depending on the battery the user is using.

Thanks for the information. In the Charon scenario, vaping at 25 watts with a 0.9 1.0 ohm built will cutoff the battery at 3.5v-3.4v, using Samsungs 25R pretty new and married. Yeah, not really good.

#8 (permalink)      1/29/2018 7:32:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
Note that the power is not the only thing that matter in this regard.
The build resistance can also change the under no load voltage of a battery.

In general, the lower the build, the less efficient a mod will be, but there are exceptions to this.

What you called a cutoff is not the mod's cutoff, it is the battery "cutoff".
The point at what the battery can no longer provide enough current.
#9 (permalink)      1/29/2018 7:46:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
The charon is a series mod i think.

The greater the difference between the input and the output voltage, the less efficient a DC converter will be.

Meaning it will be more efficient with a higher resistance build or at a higher wattage.
The later will not be in favor of getting more charges out of the batteries tho.
#10 (permalink)      1/29/2018 9:56:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Helder_Santos
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 452
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos882
Punkmati wrote:

Someone can tell me the voltage cutoff of this mod? I mean, How low is going to drain the battery? Thanks!

3.2V +/-

Fasttech, please give us the shipping method 'Spain Express - Priority Line' https://www.fasttech.com/forums/order-support/t/2394666/we-pay-for-delivery-now?2394932
#11 (permalink)      1/29/2018 10:47:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
george007
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 105
  • Reviews 243
  • Kudos19
I have been puzzled by this question for a while now...
I checked using Voopoo Drag, Reuleaux RX2 and eleaf istick TC 120W (parallel) and different batteries: Sony VTC3 and VTC5, Samsung 25R, LG HE2/HG2, Panasonic CGR18650CH and they are all in use for some time (min. 1 year old but they were paired at all times). I usually vape around between 35W and max 50W and coils are usually between 0.15-0.30.
A battery will drain, box mod will cut off, but if you let the battery recover for a while, it may provide a few more draws until another cut off; usually I do not wait, first cut off and it goes in the charger where I read the voltage. If I'm on the road, voltage may increase until I get to place them in the charger.
The lowest I have seen it was 3.15V and this happens with VTC3 or LG HE2 followed closely by LG HG2 (~3.20-3.25) and Samsung, VTC5 or Panasonic at around 3.40V or more.
Granted, eleaf will suck the most of the batteries because of the parallel load; Voopoo will come in second but when battery it's getting close to the cut off I can feel the power decreasing. Reuleaux came in last with usually highest cut off but not by a huge margin or something to write home about.
I'd say battery quality is of high importance here and to me, the best are my old Sony VTC3 - heck, this pair of batteries is at least 4 years old - used them in my mech mod years back and they are still able to give a good kick. Then I love my red LG HE2. I think sammys 25R will be close but they are 'old' now, still not older than VTC3!

My Conclusion: mods will cut off around 3.15V the lowest, but take in consideration your wattage and coil resistance. Maybe if you vape @20W your cut off will be at 3.10V...