shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

A review
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/14/2019 12:30:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
d4rkd3vil
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 70
  • Kudos5
+4 details
A review
I finally got myself this atomizer, being a long time fan of the MTL KFs.

Construction

Compared to the previous version, the Prime feels like a toy. It's tiny and has a light weight. That seemed like a con for me, but it's probably a big plus for those who like small mods and atomizers. It surely makes it more portable, at the cost of having to carry around a bottle of e-juice. Other than that, the materials are good, o-rings seem to be made of silicone and the metal is SS, as confirmed in the cleaning process. The extension kit is not included, but it's no big deal for me as I really don't like it.

Machining

Overall it's perfect, but one part was not machined properly in the atom I received. The center hole where the 510 screw goes in seems to be slightly tilted. It's not something you could see by eye, we're in the range of 1/100mm. The result is that when you remove the 510 screw, everything fits and works properly. Once you thighen the screw, it becomes impossible to set the airflows 3 and 4. I confirmed this by shifting the values of the exagonal encoder. FT was kind enough to give me a partial refund once I provided video proof, so props to them. My solution was to slowly grind down the exagonal encoder, to the point where the pibbs are almost invisible. Not cute, but it works.

There are no logos, which is perfect for me.

The atom comes not completely clean, which seems to be the norm for clones. I created a 5% sodium hydroxide (NAOH) solution, dismatled the atomizer, removed the o-rings and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, having care to move the parts from time to time. NAOH is a strong base, but it does not react with silicone and rubber. It will react with stainless steel, but only for temperatures above 250° C. Any aluminum or zinc alloy will be eaten away, so this passage doesn't only clean the atomizer, it's also confirmation that it's made out of SS. NAOH works very well for me as it reacts almost instantly with any oils present, transforming them into soap. A good wash in water is sufficient to wash away the solution. After this, the atomizer is completely clean, sterilized and free of any kind of flavour. This is also true if you wish remove any trace of previous eliquids you used in the atomizer.

Coiling

The deck is tiny. Put the coil too close to the airhole and the atomizer will gurgle. Put too much cotton in the juice holes and you will get a burned taste. Too little and it will leak. Compared to the V4 and Mimi v3 plus, this deck is extremely unforgiving.

Flavour

Initially very muted. I tried many different configuration with kanthal and SS, from 24g to 28g. Not much happened. I suspected vapers tongue, as I was used to vape the KF v3 mini plus, 22W, 0.5ohm clapton SS. In a matter of 3-4 days, the flavor kicked in, best configuration was about 0.4-0.5 ohm, 26g 316L SS, spaced coil. I confirmed it was my tongue by vaping back on the mini v3, probably caused by getting used to a very warm vape.
In conclusion, flavour seems to be good, but it's no match for KF v4, no matter of many different configurations I tried. The KF v4 remains, in my opinion, the best flavour of all KFs.

Refilling

Top fill is mandatory for me and I like how it was implemented. Ever so often, tiny drops of eliquid will form around the top cap, but it's very rare, contrary to the Mini v3 plus, which has to be cleaned every time you refill.
However, contrary to the V4, there is definetly pressure bild-up when you screw the cap back in, confirmed by a tiny gurgle in the vape that goes away by itslef after a little bit of vape. That could be solved by placing more cotton in the juice holes of your build, at the cost of a reduced juice flow to the coil.

Conclusions

Overall, I don't dislike this atomizer, but the deck is very unforgiving and finding the right configuration has been, at times, very frustrating. Compared to previous iterations, overall this is probably the worst MTL KF.

Edited on 4/14/2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typos
#2 (permalink)      4/14/2019 1:49:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
piffpuff
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 119
  • Reviews 33
  • Kudos79
+2 details
the Prime feels like a toy. It's tiny and has a light weight.

- this is ONLY compared to the previous tanks produced by SvoeMesto. The Prime is ca. 70g heavy and it is taller than the doggystyle (ca.30g) or Dvarw.
Definitely not toy-like by any stretch of the imagination.

o-rings seem to be made of silicone

-you may consider to buy a pack of the original -orings - in my case (bought from another place) they were rather smelly because the whole atomizer was very oily.
Also keep the o-rings always moist - can be difficult to unscrew otherwise.

There are no logos, which is perfect for me.

- there are other vendors who still sell a yftk version WITH all logos.

there is definetly pressure bild-up when you screw the cap back in, confirmed by a tiny gurgle in the vape that goes away by itslef after a little bit of vape.

- I have found it very helpful to upend the atomizer after refilling and re-open the JFC whilst the Prime is on its head - no gurgle let alone flooding whatsoever.

*Annotations not meant to correct anything just to give some perspective to those who are interested to buy this tank.

Edited on 4/14/2019 at 1:53 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      6/15/2019 3:58:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
d4rkd3vil
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 70
  • Kudos5
Two Months Update

After using the atomizer regularly for the past two months, I must confirm most of the downsides from the first impression. Particularly, the atomizer builds up pressure every time it's filled, the trick of opening the juice flow with the atom upside down after filling seldom works and I found myself having to shake out the overflown liquid time, after time, after time. The fact that it holds only 2ml of eliquid only exacerbates the problem and the longer tank is simply not for me, too tall, too easy to break. Despite the many different configuration of wire materials and gauge thicknesses, the flavour is still too muted for an atomizer whose name is Kayfun, barely there compared to the Mini v3 Plus and the KF4. Compared to the Dwarv, it has zero flavour.

Being a long time KF fan, I'm very sad to admit this atomizer is grossly overrated and just a mere course correct from the V5. If you are a long time Kayfun aficionado like me, this atomizer willbe a huge disappoint, get instead the KF Mini V3 Plus, as it's vastly superior in almost every possible way.

To address piffpuff response:

1. Definitely not toy-like by any stretch of the imagination
Misquoting by omission is not a good look.

2. There are other vendors who still sell a yftk version WITH all logos.
Not pertinent to the scope.

Have a good vape everyone.