shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

I like my Nautilus X better....
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      12/19/2017 11:23:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
griyataman
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 5
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
I like my Nautilus X better....
so far.

I just received my YFTK Prime. Looks like great, just like the pics.
It's easy to build, build quality is great, doesn't feel off anywhere - sits flush on an iStick 40w.
Perfect MTL airflow.

I'm having troubles with flavor.. It's very muted. I get burnt/dry hits very quickly.
Keep in mind, i am brand new to building coils.
I am using Cotton Bacon V2 and have two pre-made coil types, N90 Clapton 28ga+38ga 0.32mm + 0.1mm dia @ 1.1ohm & Kanthal A1 28ga, 2.8mm @ 1.2ohms.

Should i try different coils? I vape using the largest airhole - sitting around 14-16w.

cheers

Edited on 12/19/2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: edit
#2 (permalink)      12/19/2017 11:43:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1465
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1265
+3 details
Your problem is very likely that you're using too much cotton in the juice wells. Try giving your wicks a sit of a haircut -- you want them fairly snug in the coil (enough to feel resistance, but not enough to move the coil around, when you slide the wick back and forth), but just barely enough cotton to loosely fill the juice wells. With a 2.8mm inner diameter, you can't get both at the same time on a Prime without thinning the wick a little. Once you've got the wicking sorted, your coil should be seeing more e-liquid, and that will give you a substantial flavour boost. (You may find that you need to adjust the height of the coil as well for optimum performance.) There is absolutely no reason to use exotic coils in a MTL Kayfun; the only effect you'll get is a placebo effect.
#3 (permalink)      12/20/2017 12:52:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
griyataman
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 5
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
Thanks for the reply @Essellar.

I re-wicked and used much less and flavor is still muted.
My coil says it is rated 1.2ohm but when installed it says 1.44ohm, is that an issue?
#4 (permalink)      12/20/2017 2:27:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42151
+1 details
I'm using 28 AWG 316L stainless steel on an 8 wrap 2.5mm coil. It's about 0.7-0.8 ohms. For 316L, I find beginning at 8 wraps for 2.5mm is a good start, whatever the gauge. I don't know if there is a pre-made coil that is similar.

If there was a 316L wire in 29 AWG, it would be pretty good, IMO.

For a 3mm coil with the same material, I begin at 7 wraps. It's just under an ohm, IIRC.

There's a bit more vapor for the same resistance with stainless steel over kanthal - more wraps.

With the coils that you have - forget the claptons - set your mod in bypass mode to see the power you would use if it was a mechanical - use a fresh battery. Then switch back to wattage mode and begin the power setting at that wattage. Tweak the power to get the best results.

You can try wicking it firmly, but not too tight, and cut the ends at an angle so when tucked into the channels the wick fills the top and touches the bottom on the open side of channel. You can look into the tank for bubbles after a couple of draws when vaping. It needs to be able to release some of the vacuum as the tank drains. This might eliminate the dry hits.
#5 (permalink)      12/20/2017 3:16:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
griyataman
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 5
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
+1 details
I'm still having issues with muted flavor and burning.

#6 (permalink)      12/20/2017 3:40:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1465
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1265
+1 details
There's not enough cotton in the coil. The coil should be completely full of cotton, with no space. Anything that isn't touching wet cotton will be much hotter than it should be, and will produce some pretty ugly taste (basically, formaldehyde and its precursors). Again, when you're putting cotton through the coil, it should offer some resistance, but not so much that it bends the coil.

It takes a bit of getting used to is all. Once you've got the feel for it, you hardly have to think about it from then on.
#7 (permalink)      12/20/2017 5:04:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42151
+7 details
Don't skimp out on the cotton. It should be firm but not too tight to pull through. You might need a fingernail on the coil when pulling the cotton through so as not to deform the coil. If you have too much cotton, rake the tweezers through the ends and trim to shape again.

BTW, it's a 2.5mm spaced coil made by pushing the tweezer ends between each wrap from both sides.

This is roughly how much cotton:

I cut the ends at an angle ready for pushing in with the tweezers. Slide the short side of the wick in first to the open side of the channels:

The finished wicked coil:
#8 (permalink)      12/20/2017 6:17:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Steve_
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 401
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos280
+1 details
Very good info here from essellar and wuwei!

It's easy to overstuff the juice wells on this deck since everything is so tiny, but the cotton needs to be firm through the coil in the first place.
#9 (permalink)      12/20/2017 6:39:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42151
+1 details
Yeah, bubbles need to pass through the wicking channels back into the tank. That's why I cut the wick at an angle (from the top), so there is not so much wick in the back of the channels (from the pictures), but fills the channels towards the front.

I haven't had a hint of a gurgle or leak from mine. It was left with the JFC open overnight.
#10 (permalink)      12/20/2017 6:49:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4811
  • Reviews 178
  • Kudos5832
+2 details
*thumbs up,
its a goodie then
#11 (permalink)      12/20/2017 7:39:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
griyataman
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 5
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
+1 details
Thanks all for the replies.

@wuwei.ap
i tried your way and it is better but still, very muted flavor! I'll keep trying.