shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Stabilised? Wood? (confirmed by supplier it's resin)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      2/22/2018 7:27:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
gmm11 wrote:

lol, my dream house is a log cabin, preferably next to a river, thats the pipe dream anyway,, wood, metal and anything olive green, cant go wrong with that combination

Careful, rivers tend to flood sometimes... (except in dreams yah)

#22 (permalink)      2/22/2018 7:56:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+2 details
oh, i have it all planned out lol, highest water level all planned out, flooding extended areas etc, was near buying one from tennesee usa, was dirt cheap at the time, 20 grand, only thing was a plot to put it on was over 100 grand, kinda defeated the purpose of a perfect cheap home lol
#23 (permalink)      2/22/2018 7:59:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
You could have dreamed the plot around it ;-)

Edited on 2/22/2018 at 8:01 AM. Reason:
#24 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:05:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+2 details
i would have to dream up a bank balance too, hehe, our river is getting more and more encroached by the town, and its greed for building more houses and roads, its not "my town " anymore, its lost all its character
#25 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:06:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+2 details
gmm11 wrote:

i... our river is getting more and more encroached by the town, and its greed for building more houses and roads, its not "my town " anymore, its lost all its character

That happens...

#26 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:19:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Story_Time
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 1932
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos11259
+2 details
gmm11 wrote:

...lost all its character

Yeah, San Francisco and Oakland are turning into nothing more than overpriced homes for rich hipsters from tech companies. Changing fast, watched it happen over the course of half a dozen years, losing its charm like you say. Even areas further out from the Bay, a new row of million-dollar McMansions spring up on the hills that used to be farmland each month. All the cows have to go live somewhere else now. And of course, the limiting geography makes traffic a nightmare. And they don't want retail stores in the rich neighborhoods, they want it "nice" -- so shopping for food and just about anything is horrendous and lines are long.

And I too would like to live in a cabin by a pond like Hank Thoreau. But with cable and internet. :)

Ad astra
#27 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:30:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+3 details
cant even imagine what its like in san fran, story, i really wouldnt want to be there, im even thinking the same about this town,always imagine it as a 37 thousamd population, and now its near trebled, and i dont like it, lol, , theres so much drawing me to south france/spain and a nice small village, but, id miss the river here and the nhs lol, just cant win huh ?
#28 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:41:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Story_Time
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 1932
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos11259
+2 details
gmm11 wrote:

...drawing me to south france/spain and a nice small village...

Yeah my wife talks about exactly that, more and more. Sounds about right. Ya never know. Never say never, right. We moved around a lot, never figured we'd be living in CA or a few other places we've been. Now we've about had it with this state, a few more years at most. Right now we're good, it's peaceful and we're out of the mainstream hustle and bustle.

Ad astra
#29 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:50:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lazyfitter
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 3903
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos7786
+3 details
gmm11 wrote:

cant even imagine what its like in san fran, story, i really wouldnt want to be there, im even thinking the same about this town,always imagine it as a 37 thousamd population, and now its near trebled, and i dont like it, lol, , theres so much drawing me to south france/spain and a nice small village, but, id miss the river here and the nhs lol, just cant win huh ?

...hence why I've always planned my retirement for a peniche barge....in france! Cheap mooring fees miles outta town.Fishing from your own doorstep..and man do they have some big catfish there!

#30 (permalink)      2/22/2018 8:58:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+1 details
id miss my river for sure, a river without salmon is a strange thing, must be a few good bits of water around your area lazy ? only been down the south at the blackwater
#31 (permalink)      2/22/2018 10:04:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+3 details
I would't want to break your dreaming but.
I live in south of France in the deep coutryside, on one side 3 steps from 2 rivers (and their confluence) wine yards everywhere, and on the other side 5 steps from the mountains. Fabulous isn't it. I haven't got a plot, was able to use some but that was an other story, and just renting a crap house.
After almost 10 years I can't see it that fabulous any-more. Except for the mountains. But life is pretty much harder up there. (This is NOT the Savoie and not the Alpes but one of the "poorest" county of the country here with its messy infrastructure where 10-15 years ago still you could have dreams but it's getting over - I mean for local peeps, sometimes in very brutal ways) Down there the big part with not at all organic wine yards they feck up everything, it's polluted, (thanks to the tanneries too, though most of them are closed now, etc. etc.) Ok, everything is relative, you guys would see it still like a dream maybe.
The flood of northerns who come here to live (above the tourism) puts up the prices, they are selling all the plots, it's getting over populated, you have the choice between to buy organic vegetables from growers who live from 3-500€ per month or buying stuff in groceries identical crap as in the supermarkets. Animal farming? very little left, up in the mountains. Those who come here with 1000+ extra as an income, of course can reach all the delights of the world. ;)
Well, you've got it.

No salmons here but you can find trout! =) Funny to see all the regulations. (BF used to do some wild fishing up in the mountains at a time, he goes really seldom these days) They settle free them in the river from the trout farms before seasons for your pleasure. (from that point I'd rather go to pick some snails) ;-)

Edited on 2/22/2018 at 10:05 AM. Reason: