shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Stabilised? Wood? (confirmed by supplier it's resin)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/21/2018 2:53:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
It's the rough cut and thicknessing that I need done at the workshop if I worked from a solid piece of timber. I couldn't pick a piece of timber, I'd have to "find" it.

You could simulate a solid block if you make the right cuts as an alternative to routing out a hole. It can be done so you would have to really find the joins to tell. You need to find something with consistent grain, but it's doable.

Something really handy for sanding would be a small linisher with belt sander.

The wood veneer is from China. Sapele, a light reddish timber. It's fairly cheap at less than $10 for three pieces.
#12 (permalink)      2/21/2018 5:16:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+2 details
a good source of cheap veneer would be at your local dump/recycle place, all those cheap doors that people keep replacing are covered in it,and so easy to take large sections off them, my house had them when i bought it, and theres no way i was going to get rid of such beautiful patterned wood, i just rubbed them down and several coats of a dark oak finish varnish has them just the way i like them, classy looking, in my mind anyway lol
#13 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:21:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+2 details
I'm seeing you rushing with a little saw to your local dump place to recycle some nice wood. Lol =)

You must have a lovely place! If I bought a house with some great wood stuff would definitely restore it too. (did so even if i was just renting) But wouldn't start a little industry of making bottom feeder boxes =D
#14 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:26:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moosgummi
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 15349
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos50865
+2 details
gmm11 wrote:

a good source of cheap veneer would be at your local dump/recycle place, all those cheap doors that people keep replacing are covered in it,and so easy to take large sections off them, my house had them when i bought it, and theres no way i was going to get rid of such beautiful patterned wood, i just rubbed them down and several coats of a dark oak finish varnish has them just the way i like them, classy looking, in my mind anyway lol

My local dump recycling facility does not allow browsing because of health & safety. I brought them a old TV the other day and saw something with “REVOX” written on it. Looked like an amp. I wasn’t allowed to go near it. Guess they wnt to keep the good stuff for themselves...

“You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections.” Elwood P. Dowd
#15 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:28:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+1 details
lol, my dream house is a log cabin, preferably next to a river, thats the pipe dream anyway,, wood, metal and anything olive green, cant go wrong with that combination
#16 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:31:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moosgummi
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 15349
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos50865
+1 details
gmm11 wrote:

lol, my dream house is a log cabin, preferably next to a river, thats the pipe dream anyway,, wood, metal and anything olive green, cant go wrong with that combination

I live in one. Not at a river, but I have a pond ;-)

“You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections.” Elwood P. Dowd
#17 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:35:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
Moosgummi wrote:

My local dump recycling facility does not allow browsing because of health & safety. I brought them a old TV the other day and saw something with “REVOX” written on it. Looked like an amp. I wasn’t allowed to go near it. Guess they wnt to keep the good stuff for themselves...

Add that. It wasn't that bad in my place. Even 6 months ago you could still place stuff next to the bins if they weren't completely garbage to leave it for others if they were interested to recycle it. Not any-more.

Also if I wanted to go there costs more benzine than to order some veneer from China. Or almost =)

#18 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:39:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gmm11
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 4932
  • Reviews 204
  • Kudos6048
+1 details
they started that nonsense here too, depends on who was at the recycling place at the time,if you cpuld have a good scrounge and find some bits and pieces, panasonic and samsung tv's were the main target, £3 worth of capacitors sorted them and they worked perfectly, hehe
#19 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:43:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
Luckily, I never cared about TVs and capacitors. =)
#20 (permalink)      2/22/2018 6:48:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
They leave stuff inside the driveway here to get around the council complaining. But the last time I saw something was a wide screen TV that wasn't a flatscreen. It looked like a three person job, hehe.
#21 (permalink)      2/22/2018 7:27:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
gmm11 wrote:

Careful, rivers tend to flood sometimes... (except in dreams yah)