shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Straightening Stabilized Wood?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      2/18/2018 2:21:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
Wow sorry my wuwei, that's really something...at least not for me. =)
I'd really like to know, at some point, from those who clear coat, paint their gears - an object that spends a lot of time in the hands, if they don't become after just a couple of months something looking like a battered cat.
Didn't even know that one has to clear coat stab wood. I thought resin would make the job!
I thought stain would mean something that is absorbed in the wood, so wouldn't wear off. (can fad tho as tints)
I'm personally rather for feeding the wood (linen oil) which would also help for preventing it from too much moving. And wax as a finish. (well, I'm testing it right now)
Industrials use varnish which are extremely durable (quasi plastifies the wood) but where to get that (for those who want)

Edited on 2/18/2018 at 2:28 PM. Reason:
#22 (permalink)      2/18/2018 2:23:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Morris68
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 5369
  • Reviews 50
  • Kudos8328
+2 details

Has it been like this since it arrived, or was it overtime?

Pretty sure it was over time as I would have noticed it immediately and I didn't.

I often set it by my bed which is next to a window. On a sunny day it would be exposed to sunlight. I'll avoid that in the future.

Gonna try the pressing idea but am wondering what is the best material for the plates I press it with. If I'm gonna stick it in the oven, plexiglass is out, I'd imagine. What could I buy that would work and not break the bank?

And thanks all (kudos too!) for the good (I sure hope) advice.

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Robert Burns
#23 (permalink)      2/18/2018 4:06:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
Wait a minute...If I remember well, you have the same shaped box like mine, with a slightly curved (bombed) door. So pressing would be delicate...
#24 (permalink)      2/18/2018 5:00:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
logidog
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1048
  • Reviews 27
  • Kudos812
+4 details
Here’s something I found if you plan to use heat & pressure to straighten it. It is from a knife forum where making custom knife handles is done with stabilized wood…

"I got this tip from another source of stabilized material when I received a piece from them that had warped in shipping.

He recommend laying the piece down on something flat with the bowed end facing up. (Think of a rocking chair) Next clamp both ends down under medium tension. Now get the piece HOT with a heat gun and increase tension SLOWLY until both ends go flat. Let cool to room temperature. You may have to do this trick a couple times but I have had it work on several different occasions.

Also I have used the kitchen oven @ 200 for 30 mins with good success instead of heat gun.
"

BTW stabilized wood is “Warp Resistant” and will warp. Even if you straighten it with heat & pressure chances are over time it will probably warp again. Hope this helps.
#25 (permalink)      2/18/2018 8:15:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Morris68
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 5369
  • Reviews 50
  • Kudos8328
This is getting a bit too complicated. When I think of all the effort necessary to cater to a minor bit of OCD, then add to that:

chances are over time it will probably warp again.

I'm thinking that the easiest, and most time efficient solution is to drown my sorrows in another mod or two!-)

Edited on 2/18/2018 at 8:19 PM. Reason:
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Robert Burns
#26 (permalink)      2/18/2018 10:12:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
leftjeffa
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 6322
  • Reviews 39
  • Kudos9254
+3 details
Morris68 wrote:

What could I buy that would work and not break the bank?

Got full metal clamp? I have a vice with the usual rubber attachments, and probs will snap with prolonged heat, but also have this huge old skungy, rusty looking vice clamp (that looks something like this). It's not going anywhere; am sure that would endure whatever heat is throw at it.

If you can find something vintage like that from your local swap-meets or what have you, and place your door between two boards in the oven...

Could be your most cost-effective and uncomplicated option for now

Resistance is not futile, it's V/I
#27 (permalink)      2/19/2018 12:22:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
@cilika,

I mean, if you wanted a "stain" on some existing stab. wood it would have to be simulated using a tint and it would need to be protected with lots of clear coats, but it would last handling, unless your hands were sandpaper, lol.
#28 (permalink)      2/19/2018 5:37:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+2 details
wuwei.ap wrote:

@cilika,

I mean, if you wanted a "stain" on some existing stab. wood it would have to be simulated using a tint and it would need to be protected with lots of clear coats, but it would last handling, unless your hands were sandpaper, lol.

Lol I have seen so many complaints a bout acidic hands... (not mine fortunately)
Anyway, the most beautiful and most expensive boxes always end up like a fetish and stay on the bureau or shelf =D
So what you say, if stab wood ones is done (sure not meaning the polishing and clear coating), after that you can pfaff with it to change the look/colour, but...

(if you knew how easily I changed the colour on mine^^...) =)

I showed mine to some peeps, carpenters, wood sculptors, they had the same opinion, it's not even wood. Only some sort of composite whatever material. But of course it's just mine, Morris' box is maybe different. ;)
I've chosen the "cheapest" way to see what is stab wood in life, I've got that I paid for. LOL (actually looks good nah rather fun now but nothing high endish)

Back to Morris' problem:
1. you can put a strong varnish on the inner side (which can pull it back), or
2. steaming/ soaking it in water, and pressing.
I can be wrong but if yours is the same model like mine, the panel is not flat but a bombed form, for pressing you'd need to make some spacers (shim or whatever is called?), and that would be a bit complicated.

>> As you said: buy an other box :)

Edited on 2/19/2018 at 7:02 AM. Reason:
#29 (permalink)      2/19/2018 7:11:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42159
+1 details
Um, my hands turn black on iron (not stainless steel). I have to use barrier cream before touching metal if I intend to work with wood. I literally leave fingerprints that have to be sanded off. The stains on my hands have to be sanded off with solvol soap...

I wonder what your mod is then, some kind of manufactured wood from fibers?

Sorry, back to topic... *hiding*
#30 (permalink)      2/19/2018 7:31:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
No idea to say the truth. But they can falsify aven eggs ;) We should ask them...
A sort of composite material, they certainly have some technics to make it not even that imitates defaults (and veins? couldn't say it looks like veins) of wood.
I'll make some pics later on.

Oh my... I heat with wood, made my furniture from wood, just imagined the trouble, what you'd have here... ;) But climate is different and the varieties of wood are different here too.
#31 (permalink)      2/19/2018 7:39:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 15146
  • Reviews 380
  • Kudos29160
+1 details
But as I told so, the square version of this SKU looked more like real wood. Went to see all the stab wood SKUs, unfortunate, not many peeps posted photos about them (reviews)