Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Questions for people who know abt knives:
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      12/20/2016 12:42:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bensooft
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 4815
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos3167
+2 details
And as always: Thank you guys, for the benefit of your experience.
#12 (permalink)      12/20/2016 1:27:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42164
I only use a wire brush to clean the stone, but lightly. I take into account that the stone will gunk up a bit anyway.
#13 (permalink)      12/20/2016 3:17:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moosgummi
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 15349
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos50866
Most synthetic stones from asia are best with water. I keep my Japanese ones in a tin like you, but filled with H2O, so I don't have to wait for them to soak.
“You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections.” Elwood P. Dowd
#14 (permalink)      12/20/2016 6:36:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bensooft
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 4815
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos3167
ok, i'm not just hard of hearing: hard of reading too. i looked at the manufacturer's site in the 40 Thieves and it finally kicked in. White corundum. Aluminum oxide. My brain was seeing carborundum instead.

So these are water stones.
#15 (permalink)      12/20/2016 7:08:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5958
James1984 wrote:

Even an axe can be sharpened sharp enough to shave with.

I wish you hadn't mentioned that. Now I have to buy an axe :)

"You quit cigarettes, you started vaping, and now you're Einstein"
#16 (permalink)      12/20/2016 10:20:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11016
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6885
+1 details
bensooft wrote:

So you use the stone dry, Skeeeets? How do you deal with the swarf that builds up?edit: btw i just sharpened a little 2in. kitchen knife dry on this stone on the #2000 side. Really quick. Didn't need more than 7 or 8 light passes each side.

depending how soon it gets bad, i just rinse it under hot water and leave the used/wet side down when drying. Wood is the only "swarf" that is a real bitch to get out of the stone, it has to be soaked for a few days vs. a quick rinse :(

speaking of, il need a new block soon enough. 15 years old, corners all cracked/shaved off, nice groove in the center of the rough side(i have no idea what grit(s) this block is) and somehow WAX got poured onto the finer side, so it doesn't even sharpen half the time.

Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#17 (permalink)      12/20/2016 5:00:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11016
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6885
Also to note. I have noticed that glass probably was never intended for these blocks, as it seams to be "harder" on the stone and creates grooves easier than a blade does. Wood on the otherhand, seems to cause absolutely no issues at all besides cleaning it off/out the stone.
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#18 (permalink)      12/21/2016 9:04:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+1 details
If you're talking about the loose swarf you get from a water stone, leave it on there. I splash a little water on the stone if it starts feeling too dry and muddy, but as the swarf breaks down it starts polishing the blade. If you use multiple grits it makes the sharpening process much faster as some of the finer work was done by the previous grit.

You might want to use a coarse grit diamond stone to flatten the water stones with, but a floor tile (or any other decently flat, hard surface) and sandpaper will flatten it. The diamond stone is just more convenient for me. Good diamond stones will last a long time, but cheap ones can be worn smooth because the diamonds aren't attached as firmly (or don't seem to be) but that is true when you sharpen knives as well.
#19 (permalink)      12/21/2016 11:01:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bensooft
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 4815
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos3167
Sossij wrote:

I wish you hadn't mentioned that. Now I have to buy an axe :)

Here a quick segue to Sossij in the bathroom, wearing a furry hat and a lumberjack shirt, large poster of Michael Palin in the background, gently stroking his cheeks with a really big axe, thinking abt Connie Booth.