Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Junk
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/22/2016 6:48:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
Junk
Sorry, two rebuilds in this is my opinion, it's too small to build on with todays materials, the most complicated part is the easiest and as for wicking it forget it,

So, make a coil, done deal really easy either Vert or Horizontal,

Lets start with wicking the Vertical, ever had a spool of Kanthal unwind on you? well that's how it happens wicking this way, next time it's getting pre wetted cotton and see if I can gauge that right because my first attempts resulted in gurgle gurgle gurgle,

So I switch to doing a Horizontal, can't go wrong eh? err yeah, gurgle gurgle gurgle, I watched the Joye video to see if I was getting it wrong and just as he wicked it he then went for another lump of cotton and stuffed that in there with no explaination as to how and why, so I emulate that by tucking some more down under the coil, gurgle gurgle gurgle,

That's me done with these kiddy type atties I think, they had 20mm width to play with to make a deck so they chose a 12mm cup base, re-invented Pro Tank coil,

8 wraps of 24awg 316L ends up at about 0.4ohms,

Annoying to say the least as the original build once broken in was zooming quite well, I'll attempt to re-wick it after I've drank this tank of juice,

No doubt I'll find a workaround for it in the next week so if you are considering one be aware it's not friendly to wick and does require you to adapt to it, but right now it's a flooding paradise.

Edited on 4/22/2016 at 6:52 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      4/22/2016 7:16:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
Just nailed my first "successful" vertical that now works as good as the factory build,

Did 10 wraps 24 SS and got 0.61,

Not how I would've built this RBA if it was my factory tbh, absolutely begging for a kayfun type deck imo.
#3 (permalink)      4/22/2016 7:18:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jumpjet
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 812
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos627
Interesting.

My Cubis arrived a few days ago, and I added the RBA head to the order at the same time. I haven't tried it yet as I wanted to check out how all the pre-made coil heads perform. They are not too bad, though I think they mute the flavour a little bit. I have a few juices that are a bit rough around the edges though, and this slight muting actually smooths them out, so that's a bonus

Even though I am a MTL vapor, I think I prefer the 0.5 ohm coils, or the 1.0 ohm ones at a push. The 1.0 and 1.5 ohm coils are a bit too tight for me. I think my brother will like them though, he's enjoying my old Nautilus with BVC coils.

Just looking at this little RBA head, it looks a bit fiddly for my chunky fingers. When I am in the right mood, I'll have to give the RBA a go soon. I'll probably try the pre-made RBA coils that came with it first

Edited on 4/22/2016 at 7:22 AM. Reason:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car - Bob Monkhouse
#4 (permalink)      4/22/2016 7:23:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
Let me know when you've had a go mate, tip is when wicking it vertically to clamp the wick with some tweezers as you roll it and more cotton is more cotton in this case,

I'm getting a lag on it now, I hit the button but the ignition doesn't seem to be instant like normal, have a feeling if I leave it alone for a while it'll be flooded when I get back to it.
#5 (permalink)      4/22/2016 8:55:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jumpjet
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 812
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos627
+1 details
I decided to have a go, and make my own coil.

Coil = 3mm 11 wraps 24awg SS316L

At first I tried 'Native Wicks' which is a roll of cotton 'tape'. All the fibres run in parallel with each other. This failed because it needed to be around 11mm wide, and as you wrap the coil the cotton gets wider as the fibres separate naturally.

Take 2 - Fibre Freaks - This is a pad, but not as thick as Muji or Koh Gen Doh, so i just used a longer strip.

After building it initially was flooding and running way too hot (@30w), the whole tank got pretty hot. I am still concerned that it comes in at 0.35 ohms, when I was expecting around 0.55 ohms. Perhaps there is a hot spot on the coil, but you can't use your normal little tricks to get even heating across the coil.

It's early days, but it seems to be settling down now, it tasted like shit for a little while. I need to run a tank of liquid through it and see how it goes. I am thinking that next time I will build a 26 awg SS coil, as 0.35 ohm is needlessly low. Perhaps a 3mm 10 wrap 316L coil in the 0.65 - 0.7 ohm range

Edited on 4/22/2016 at 8:55 AM. Reason:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car - Bob Monkhouse
#6 (permalink)      4/22/2016 10:00:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
I've had a result I think,

I did 7 wraps 3mm 24 SS and copped out @ 0.4, pre warmed and squashed to remove oil, dirty and hot spots,

I used the smallest thing I could to form the top bend on the coil to keep it around 1mm away from the coil and then cut a strip of Muji about 5mm wide, as near as dammit the length of the coils is what is required,

Next I split it in half and got the first half wrapped tight around it good enough for the leg to retain the cotton, using the second strip I then bulked it out and fitted, once I had the coil where I needed it I capped it and secured the legs, finally I cleared the coil hole of cotton, no need to worry about the bottom as it's not fed by air anyway then primed it and fitted it,

The vape isn't good but it might break in in a while, too much cotton taste right now and not a huge amount of vapor @ 32W, it is however working pretty 1:1 against the factory build, no doubt practice will improve things but this isn't for a new vaper by a long shot,

Hope some of this helps you find the grail build and if so please come back to add findings.

Edited on 4/22/2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      4/22/2016 10:14:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
Well that went well, atomiser short fault now, think my titling of this thread was spot on.
#8 (permalink)      4/22/2016 10:50:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
Build 4 just commissioned, lets see if this one fares any better.
#9 (permalink)      4/22/2016 11:18:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jumpjet
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 812
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos627
All I can say at the moment is after 1/2 a tank the taste isn't improving to match the stock heads. The vapour output is fine though
#10 (permalink)      4/22/2016 11:43:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Puff_Cabby
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3894
I got a worker right now, not sure what happened to the last one, it worked until I re-filled then it wouldn't,

Taste wise, 65% of expectation,

Heat wise, yeah the whole tank gets hot not sure if the factory one did this or not,

Build, a lot of fussing tbh and in all honesty the bends aren't really needed, the Wismec Amour tank the sister of this one simply hangs both legs out of the bottom on it's rba,

I guess we'll get better at it as time goes by if we don't bottom drawer them first.
#11 (permalink)      4/22/2016 1:08:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jumpjet
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 812
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos627
It's probably more likely that my brother will get an early Christmas gift.

It depends on whether the RBA and the stock coils can handle my DIY higher VG juice, rather than the commercial 50/50 that's in it at the moment.

If it handles the juice, and the stock coils last a fair bit of time, then I'll give it him, as I think he'll like the simplicity of the tank, the looks of it, and the quality of vape. He is not a re-builder.

EDIT: I have just looked at the coil, and there is obvious discolouration of the wicking material. So I think I was correct about there being a hot spot. That would explain the degraded flavour, and the lower coil resistance than intended when built.

Edited on 4/22/2016 at 1:27 PM. Reason: