shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Sweet
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/20/2016 6:20:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5954
Sweet
Nice! Something else to use up those otherwise redundant 14500s. Camo too. Winner! In da cart.
"You quit cigarettes, you started vaping, and now you're Einstein"
#2 (permalink)      2/10/2016 10:05:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5954
Nice bright little flashlight! Seems to be a little brighter than similar lumen flashlights that I own, but it could be that this is a more blue-white than the warmer white of the others that I have. Runs pretty warm, and hits the battery pretty hard, so don't I don't expect a long time between charges. Luckily it works with unprotected flat-top batteries, so the half-dozen that I already have from the days when vaping on a 14500 seemed like a good idea can be used :)

Not the most amazing piece of engineering I've ever seen (plastic lens, pretty crude machining of the threads, rather uneven zoom action), but $4 ... Might get a few more of these :)
#3 (permalink)      2/10/2016 10:13:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JaffoFL
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 8869
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos10806
This design is one of my all time favorite of the Chinese budget lights. And generally the lumen ratings are for AA power - using a 14500 REALLY brings out the best in these. For such a low price, it's hard to beat these little pocket rockets. I've bought maybe a dozen or more over the last few years, with several different brandings (Sipik, OK-somethingorother, Ultrafire) and they've all been awesome. The original Sipiks were good, but the Ultrafire models are generally much better, and that one OK brand I got was the best by far.

I've gifted all of mine away (AA compatibility makes them great for normal folks), but it's time to get a couple more, me thinks.

Also, if you like the camo one, I'd recommend getting a glow in the dark button or o=rings or something, because you set it down outside in low light and it will disappear. LOL.

Also to note, these are ALMOST water resistant. The seals are good enough to withstand a drop in a puddle for a few seconds, which means rain shouldn't ever be a problem.
"Knowing your own darkness is the [my clone is an angry little girl with a period] best method for dealing with the darkness of other people." ~ Jung
#4 (permalink)      2/10/2016 10:23:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
tibsy
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 140
  • Reviews 38
  • Kudos130
Would you be willing to take a quick gander at what emitter you received? I'm assuming for this price it's gotta be LatticeBright.
#5 (permalink)      2/10/2016 10:26:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5954
I hadn't thought about using AA batteries with this, but I just tried it. Amazing! Just paid nearly $3 for a much dimmer AA LED torch for someone and I could have got them one of these instead.
#6 (permalink)      2/10/2016 10:47:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JaffoFL
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 8869
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos10806
Yup. Bid diff between AA and 14500. Nice that they take AAs, but the performance is SO good with the power of a 14500.

tibsy, these are XR-E Q3 or Q5, depending on the manufacturer. And it's awfully hard to rely on the vendor description when the manufacturer specs are often BS in the first place. I think these hit closer to 300lm with 14500, and the 120-160lm rating is for AA.

Cree XR-E are one of the older, cheaper, more common and more cloned LED emitters used in so many cheap flashlights out there now days. We shouldn't be paying more than a few bucks on any flashlight with these LEDs in them, although I gladly pay up to $6 or so for a really good SK68 variant. They're well worth it for the body and design alone. Even with the plastic lens. LOL. This design is a steal for $3-$4. Even Amazon is selling two packs for like $7.

Also, the better quality your 14500 Li-Ion cells are, the more light you'll see out the front of these little guys. I've tried cheap UF cells and they were decent, but with a little higher end TF "flame" cell they were fantastically bright. If you've got a line on OEM 14500s from one of the big companies (not rewraps) you're likely to get the max lumens out of these little guys, and still retain great heat management.

Also note - there's a possibility the multi-mode versions are underdriven for various reasons, probably to handle a wider range of battery styles between AA and 14500. The single mode lights seem to be running at the higher end in the Amps dept, and will be brighter that high mode on the 3-mode lights for that reason. That's not scientific or for sure. But it's something I've been suspecting. If we can get accurate stats on these in the listing, and you see OUTPUT CURRENT 2800 mA, thats near max for the XR-E emitter, which means max lumens at 4.2v. IF it's accurate, which it often isn't. LOL. But you will see some of the SK68s listed here at OUTPUT CURRENT 1000 mA, which is less than half of what these emitters can be driven at. IF the listings are correct about the current output, then I'd choose one that is rated at 2800mA and 3-mode for best performance. This particular SKU seems to be exactly that. But again, that's IF the stats are accurate.
"Knowing your own darkness is the [my clone is an angry little girl with a period] best method for dealing with the darkness of other people." ~ Jung
#7 (permalink)      2/10/2016 11:01:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5954
OK, so as I can't easily get it apart, and especially as I've only just got it and don't want to wreck it(!), just going by the emitter I'd say LB as the die looks smaller than the Cree should be and the base doesn't have the 'dimpled' texture.

I've only tried Efest reds so far, but I do have some TF flames and some genuine AWs somewhere. I'll find them, give 'em a full charge, and see what the difference is :)
#8 (permalink)      2/10/2016 11:08:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
tibsy
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 140
  • Reviews 38
  • Kudos130
I figured as much. I really wouldn't mind LB emitters (for the right price) if it weren't for the crazy blue tint most of them seem to have.
#9 (permalink)      2/10/2016 2:38:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5954
Did a bit of testing, and here's some tailcap currents:

Red Efest: 1000ma
'Flame' TF: 1100ma
AW: 1100ma

So, not 2800ma as listed :(

Out of curiosity, I checked a couple of other flashlights:

Convoy C8 (from UK supplier): 2600mah
Random fleabay 18650 Cree Q5: 980ma
Random 'big river' 18650 Cree Q5: 870ma
Random Cree 535 18650 (origin unknown): 1000ma

All of the 18650s were Torchy ICRs bought a couple of years ago. So, I tried the C8 with different batteries:

25R: 2760ma
30Q: 2740ma
HG2: 2750ma
HE4: 2760ma
HE2: 2750ma
VTC4: 2760ma

No big difference between 'quality' batteries then, and all better than budget ICRs. Surprise ;)

Waiting on a Convoy S2+ from here, and another from a UK supplier. Will be interesting if they are the same ;)
#10 (permalink)      2/10/2016 2:46:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JaffoFL
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 8869
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos10806
Well, the mAh can vary - it may hit max tailcap current, but drain quicker if it's a cheaper or older cell. Also, the mAh to Amps math should be done for determining what the driver will deliver to the emitter. In other words, mAh capacity of the batter cell is different than the max current to the emitter at 4.2v. If an emitter can take 3A, and the driver allows the full 3A, that's how much it will deliver to the emitter from 4.2v, even from a 14500 that only has 1000 mAh capacity. At least that's my understanding of it. Otherwise I'd never get 3A to the Ultrafire XM-Ls in my Solarforce L2 series with the 18650s I use, and I usually do.

Then it's just a matter of how fast max current amps will suck the capacity from a given cell...
#11 (permalink)      4/28/2016 3:38:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Barkuti
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 165
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos52
Hello!
How about the thermal path on these units? Solid pill?
Looking to put a DTP Nichia 219B in one of these if they are good.

Regards,
Salvador