shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Defective?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/24/2019 5:05:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IndrekO
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 84
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos10
Defective?
I was watching some video reviews on this, mainly VWV and he was basically pulling it a lot while he was chatting about it. Mine gets extremely hot after about 10 pulls and I have to set it down. Seems like the airflow is quite tight even fully open and it's not cooling the coil enough. I had a 7-wrap 24G and now a 6-wrap 26G in, not much of a difference. Used them both around 30-40W. Am I doing something wrong?
#2 (permalink)      6/24/2019 11:58:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1465
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1265
Your expectations are off the mark is all. This is a rather old atomizer, and subohm vaping for the masses was mostly things like the Subtank/Toptank, the Atlantis/Triton, the original Herakles and, for the wacky "cloudz, bruh" crowd, the Cleito at like 40W! (OMG!) The tail end of 2015 was a long time ago in vaping terms. What you're experiencing as "quite tight" would have been crazy airy by the standards of the day. Mods that went past 30W were still new and somewhat scary - you needed to really pay attention to the 18650s you were buying at those ridiculous power levels. Vaping has changed a bit since then.

Oh, and Vic was just past his "Nautilus coils suck" stage, and mostly using MTL RTAs at the time. I think the Gem clone that needed a bit of Scotch tape to make it work was his daily driver then, though he may have still been on the Kayfun V4 clone. (For that matter, it wasn't all that long after his "mods are not for me, I'm sticking with my pen forever" phase.)

What you've got is basically a rebuildable Atlantis-class tank, meant to be a restricted DL by today's standards, and to be used at about 25-30W (which would be a 0.5Ω coil on a decent subohm stick battery). It's doing what it's meant to do.
#3 (permalink)      6/25/2019 12:49:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IndrekO
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 84
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos10
This is what I expect it to do, but it gets very hot at 20W as well. I've rebuilt on Kanger subtank RBA and the OCC heads, those never got hot with a build like this.
#4 (permalink)      6/25/2019 3:06:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1465
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1265
Well, it only gets as hot as the power you put into it minus the heat you're able to extract away. Try hanging onto a 25W incandescent light bulb for a while. 25W is 25W. If you can't vaporize more e-liquid and run more air through it, it's going to get hot. Learn to live within its limits, or find another tank that suits your preferences better. "Doesn't work the way I want it to" isn't "defective".
#5 (permalink)      6/25/2019 3:21:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IndrekO
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 84
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos10
I'm not necessarily insinuating anything. I can put a coil with the same mass in Berserker MTL RTA and it doesn't bat an eye. No heating up and the airflow is a lot tighter than this.
#6 (permalink)      6/25/2019 3:29:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlienGrey
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 763
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos549
It is what it is. It's a vertical coil design and it's going to get hot.

I like it because you're not just limited to use 4mm coils. Tried 3mm and 2mm coils and works just fine for me.
"The Truth Is Out There"
#7 (permalink)      6/25/2019 3:34:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IndrekO
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 84
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos10
It's not that I want to take it to 50W or 70W like VWV. I'm just wondering how it doesn't get scorching hot for him. I mean, the vapor is cool.
#8 (permalink)      6/25/2019 4:10:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlienGrey
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 763
  • Reviews 59
  • Kudos549
I think it does get very hot for him but all sub ohm tanks did so nobody talked about this as an issue.

Edited on 6/25/2019 at 4:11 AM. Reason:
"The Truth Is Out There"