shopping cart empty
316L Really Does Taste Better
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.
Thread Tools Rate This Thread


Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/7/2016 6:15:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Puff_Cabby
Member
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3893
+5 details
316L Really Does Taste Better
Now I've had a few weeks to play about with it I can honestly say this wire improves the smoothness of the vape,

I'm currently using a 7 wrap 3mm diameter solo coil in a Lemo 2 on an Evic Mini @ 28w & 380F in TC SS mode and in a straight test against another Lemo 2 with Kanthal A in power mode the rough edge to the juice is not there with the 316L.
#2 (permalink)      1/7/2016 6:27:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
GabyDu
Member
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 363
  • Reviews 409
  • Kudos126
Hi Puff, do you make contact coils or spaced?

Thanks.
#3 (permalink)      1/7/2016 7:02:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
viking65
Member
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26861
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51291
+1 details
GabyDu wrote:

Hi Puff, do you make contact coils or spaced?

Thanks.




Being they are using it in TC mode (Temp control)they should be spaced coils.

In VW it doesn't matter.

http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#4 (permalink)      1/7/2016 8:34:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
gotthedrips
Member
  • JoinedJun 2015
  • Posts 3721
  • Reviews 39
  • Kudos8266
viking65 wrote:

GabyDu wrote:
Hi Puff, do you make contact coils or spaced?

Thanks.


Being they are using it in TC mode (Temp control)they should be spaced coils.

In VW it doesn't matter.


I had no clue it was safe to use in VW I have been curious but forgot to ask. Which SS from FT would you recommend. I also seen SS claptons anyone tried those?

There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant!
#5 (permalink)      1/7/2016 8:56:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
viking65
Member
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26861
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51291
+4 details
gotthedrips wrote:

viking65 wrote:

In VW it doesn't matter.
I had no clue it was safe to use in VW I have been curious but forgot to ask. Which SS from FT would you recommend. I also seen SS claptons anyone tried those?




Haven't tried Claptons yet myself and not sure what gauge you prefer, but pick any from the popular list for the standard SS.

Starting with best:316L SS,316 SS,304 SS

Thicker gauges will mean less wraps as it tends to be much lower ohms them Kanthal

Also may depend on the mod you are using if it is TC or not as some TC mods may only be set for 304 although 316L and 316 will work with some fiddling.


The L in 316L is for low carbon and probably the best to use on a mech if that's what you are using.


You may want to use Steam Engine to figure out the guages and how many wraps you will need to hit your target.

Also you may want to make sure the guage you picked will fit in your atomizer once you have wrapped your coil.


Edited on 1/7/2016 at 8:57 AM. Reason:
http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#6 (permalink)      1/7/2016 8:59:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Puff_Cabby
Member
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3893
+1 details
GabyDu wrote:

Hi Puff, do you make contact coils or spaced?

Thanks.




I just wrap around a small screwdriver and simply ensure there is no hot leg before I wick it, I wouldn't say this method is spaced or squashed up tbh, as long as the result produces an even glow I'm happy with it, if not I do squeeze them up a bit but even then I still couldn't say they are touching each other like Kanthal does,


I bought a couple of reels of this one by UD but I don't really think there is anything better about it than any other brand tbh, that's been my findings across the spectrum of wires anyway, I bought some from Crazy Wire at first then saw the reviews but tbh I couldn't tell any difference, the only time I've ever seen an actual difference is when one brand pings and dies early after building a coil but that was back in the old 32/35AWG days so it could've been me hitting the redline anyway rather than the wire being bad,

If you are going for it get one 26AWG and one 24AWG and see which you prefer, I like the 24AWG myself but haven't tried it in SS yet, hth.


Edited on 1/7/2016 at 9:00 AM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      1/7/2016 9:13:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gresham
Member
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 153
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos49
Puff_Cabby wrote:

Now I've had a few weeks to play about with it I can honestly say this wire improves the smoothness of the vape,I'm currently using a 7 wrap 3mm diameter solo coil in a Lemo 2 on an Evic Mini @ 28w & 380F in TC SS mode and in a straight test against another Lemo 2 with Kanthal A in power mode the rough edge to the juice is not there with the 316L.



whats tcr value for 316L?

#8 (permalink)      1/7/2016 9:27:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Tom_moro
Member
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 75
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos36
viking65 wrote:

GabyDu wrote:
Hi Puff, do you make contact coils or spaced?

Thanks.


Being they are using it in TC mode (Temp control)they should be spaced coils.

In VW it doesn't matter.



I know you need spaced coils for nickel but I was under the impression that was because of it's insanely low resistance and likelihood of a short across the coil more than anything? I've been using contact coils in ss temp control and they have been working flawlessly, I'll admit I'm using 316l on an rx200 which I believe is set to 304 as a default so I have had to increase the temperature setting to compensate for the different coefficient but I've been getting a really nice satisfying vape and been able to vape my wicks completely dry without any burning or dry hits on various tanks and drippers, all using contact coils. I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just asking in case I'm missing something. I've been using wattage mode to pinch and tweak the coils just as I would a kanthal coil to remove any hot-spots then wicking them up and switching to temp mode absolutely no issues so far in fact up until I started using ss wire I was really not a big fan of temp control at all now I'm a full convert and am in the process of replacing all my builds with ss, like the op I find the flavour to be an improvement.


Edited on 1/7/2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason:
#9 (permalink)      1/7/2016 3:41:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Puff_Cabby
Member
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 7453
  • Reviews 48
  • Kudos3893
Gresham wrote:

Puff_Cabby wrote:
Now I've had a few weeks to play about with it I can honestly say this wire improves the smoothness of the vape,I'm currently using a 7 wrap 3mm diameter solo coil in a Lemo 2 on an Evic Mini @ 28w & 380F in TC SS mode and in a straight test against another Lemo 2 with Kanthal A in power mode the rough edge to the juice is not there with the 316L.

whats tcr value for 316L?



If you mean for the M settings I believe it's 92, I'm not using it like that myself as it's working fandabbydooozy on the regular SS setting.

Or did you mean the coil rating? if so it's a 0.7 coil.

https://vapingg33k.com/tcr-value-of-ni200-t1-and-ss-stainless-steel-wire/


Edited on 1/7/2016 at 3:46 PM. Reason:
#10 (permalink)      1/7/2016 3:48:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AuziDeals
Member
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 125
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos37
+2 details
304 TCR 101
316 TCR 88
316L TCR 87
317L TCR 94
430 TCR 138

this is what I have my setting to from some experts, long time vapes around
Knowledge is useful Only if shared around
#11 (permalink)      1/7/2016 3:49:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
virtualeyes
Member
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 590
  • Reviews 74
  • Kudos707
+2 details
Gresham wrote:

whats tcr value for 316L?



0.000879. The wire wizard on steam engine shows precise TCR values for all the different wire types.

Edit: ninja'd by auzi, those values are correct


Edited on 1/7/2016 at 3:53 PM. Reason:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.