shopping cart empty
Still producing vapor after firing?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/19/2018 8:29:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
farsight
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 86
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos45
+1 details
Still producing vapor after firing?
So I made a coil out of this wire 3mm diameter and 6 wraps, but it still produces vapor for about 5 seconds after firing. It's not much vapor, but definitely noticeable as vapor is still coming out of the drip tip.

30 puffs after and it's already tasting burnt. So I made another coil, this time 3mm twisted, same thing. All wattage settings. Even on Temp Control 380F and 25 watts, its still doing it.

I'm began to suspect that its the wire so I made a Kanthal coil and now its fine.

So anyone has an idea what's causing this? I am using cheapo organic cotton, but again, its fine when using Kanthal. The mod is a vtc mini.

Thanks for any help.

farsight marked this question as answered on 1/20/2018 at 9:17 PM
Answer
MitchL
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3935
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2466
Do you have a ramp up current set with the VTC mini? I am thinking that it might be reading the resistance too high for the coil, and your atty lead contacts might be fried.

It could be the wire?

Edited on 1/19/2018 at 8:43 PM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      1/19/2018 8:39:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MitchL
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3935
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2466
+1 details
Do you have a ramp up current set with the VTC mini? I am thinking that it might be reading the resistance too high for the coil, and your atty lead contacts might be fried.

It could be the wire?

Edited on 1/19/2018 at 8:43 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      1/19/2018 9:41:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jleeds
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 47
  • Reviews 26
  • Kudos26
I think ss retains heat longer, at least longer than say copper or aluminum. I continue to draw for a second or so after I stop firing to help cool the coil.
#4 (permalink)      1/19/2018 10:12:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Coops72
  • JoinedMar 2017
  • Posts 1467
  • Reviews 77
  • Kudos2206
I’m vaping a SS coil right now.

They do afterburn , doesn’t bother me.

Doesn’t explain the burnt taste though.

Maybe the cotton doesn’t suit SS.

Rage on you crazy diamond.
#5 (permalink)      1/19/2018 10:21:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gotthedrips
  • JoinedJun 2015
  • Posts 3776
  • Reviews 39
  • Kudos8381
+2 details
Try more cotton when you wick it...
There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant!
#6 (permalink)      1/19/2018 10:26:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
farsight
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 86
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos45
MitchL wrote:

Do you have a ramp up current set with the VTC mini? I am thinking that it might be reading the resistance too high for the coil, and your atty lead contacts might be fried.It could be the wire?

I do use a power curve set to ramp but it cools down after 4 secs to 80%.

You might have the answer, the vtc mini does tend to read resistance maybe +.06 ohms higher. Arctic Fox has a shunt% setting, but have no idea how to get a mods internal resistance, so I will try to research that.

Thank you.

jleeds wrote:

I think ss retains heat longer, at least longer than say copper or aluminum. I continue to draw for a second or so after I stop firing to help cool the coil.

Yes, I was still drawing for about 2 seconds after firing, but it still produced vapor afterwards that. Thanks.

#7 (permalink)      1/19/2018 11:01:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42154
+3 details
There's a lot more mass with stainless steel compared to Kanthal at the same resistance. You could try spacing the coil wraps wider and using more cotton, the cotton can be fairly firm, to the point that you need a fingernail to hold the coil when threading the cotton.

This is a nice wire, except that it doesn't come in longer lengths.
#8 (permalink)      1/20/2018 6:44:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MitchL
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3935
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2466
+1 details
I would try a TC dry burn test with the ramp up settings turned off. Try 420 F. If it still burns the cotton, reduce your available watts until it doesn't. This will give you some insight to what is happening.

Then turn on your preheat and I bet it will scorch the cotton.
#9 (permalink)      1/20/2018 8:44:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 10977
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos30202
+3 details
You didn't mention what atomiser, liquid or what the resistance was. Did you pulse the coils before you put the wicks in, I've noticed that some builds can take a bit of use to 'bed in' properly especially with bigger coils, sounds like a wicking issue probably due to heat flux being out a little.

Lot's of variables, damn physics....!
It is a good rule in life to be wary of the company of people who think of themselves in the third person, no matter how well justified they might seem to be in doing so.
#10 (permalink)      1/20/2018 8:52:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Mitchmangr
  • JoinedMar 2016
  • Posts 505
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos993
+3 details
This sounds like wicking to me. Decrease the density of cotton wicking up to the coil, (the tails or the ends, basically that part of the wick which sits behind the juice inlet).

The others are right in saying that you should pack the coil itself well, it provides a reservoir of juice to be utilised by the active coil.

The idea is that when you stop firing the coil, fresh juice can flow quickly to the coil to cool down the wire.

What atomizer are you using ?
"The Electronic Thumb was a short squat black rod, smooth and matte with a couple of flat switches and dials at one end."
#11 (permalink)      1/20/2018 9:14:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
farsight
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 86
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos45
+1 details
Thank you guys. It's doing much better now after I adjusted the vtc mini's shunt% to 88.

I am using the sxk iai v2. I only used spaced wraps and even then, I checked if the coil heats up evenly.

I made a 3mm 26 gauge kanthal 6 wraps that the vtc mini detects at .49 ohms and is supposed to ohm out at .43 according to steam engine. So I adjusted the shunt% until the mod detects .43. Not the best way to do it, but at least it works better now.