shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Air Flow Control Valve Base disassembling
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/5/2016 4:57:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
KiteAddict
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos0
Air Flow Control Valve Base disassembling
its impossible for me disassembling it for cleaning.... can't openit without risking damage it
#2 (permalink)      3/5/2016 4:59:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27277
Try using some rubber tape and wearing rubber gloves also. If you wrap some tape separately on each part you want to separate, and/or wear gloves, you should get some extra grip on it to separate the parts.

You can also try throwing it in the freezer for a couple hours first.

Edited on 3/5/2016 at 5:00 AM. Reason:
Woah, mama!
#3 (permalink)      3/5/2016 5:16:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Randall_H
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 5426
  • Reviews 56
  • Kudos7120
+2 details
I wouldn't do it just for cleaning. I just open the AFC, wash it, rinse it, blow into the top of the base so the water comes out through the AFC and dry with a Q-tip. I've seen Youtube videos of people disassembling it and it's tricky but it can be done. Beware of the tiny ball bearings inside the AFC ring though.

Got to 2:30 in this video.

Edited on 3/5/2016 at 5:22 AM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      3/5/2016 5:27:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
KiteAddict
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos0
i have all ready try this....i put a great amount of force but nothing....only small damage so i give up.
#5 (permalink)      3/5/2016 5:27:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
KiteAddict
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos0
thanks Johnny_469 but its not a grip matter. Its extreme tight!
#6 (permalink)      3/5/2016 5:53:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LuckyLarry
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 1638
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1145
KiteAddict wrote:

thanks Johnny_469 but its not a grip matter. Its extreme tight!

Pay attention to what Johnny has told you. He said “You can also try throwing it in the freezer for a couple hours first.” :=)

Metal expands and contracts with temperature change.

It seems “live and let live” has given way to “my way or no way”. :)
#7 (permalink)      3/5/2016 5:55:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Randall_H
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 5426
  • Reviews 56
  • Kudos7120
If they fail they can be replaced for a pretty reasonable price. SKU 2952100
#8 (permalink)      3/5/2016 5:58:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27277
You can also remove the glass from the tank section (so you don't break it) and then torque the metal tank housing on to the base, hard enough to get it stuck, and then use the tank section to unscrew the base section. Sticking a rod into the open airflow slot can help with this.

But in that case, then you're still going to have to get the top part of the base and the tank apart somehow.

That's where rubber tape and a rod come back into play. You can use the tape around the base part stuck to the tank and then use the rod to torque between the tank sections "struts" and hopefully break the parts free without damaging the tank section.

This method is extreme though, and risks doing damage just trying it unless you have a very steady hand and a lot of prudence when doing it.

It's probably not worth it anyway, imo, because you can lose the ball bearing on accident, and you can also end up not being able to screw the base back together tight enough, leaving it possible that when you try to unscrew the tank to fill, the base just comes apart again :-\

Cleaning with cotton swabs, etc, with the base assembled isn't exactly difficult ;-)

Edited on 3/5/2016 at 6:01 AM. Reason:
Woah, mama!
#9 (permalink)      3/5/2016 6:14:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
KiteAddict
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos0
Thanks for your time johnny_469!
#10 (permalink)      3/5/2016 6:29:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gresham
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 153
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos49
use blow torch and heat the area where coil base goes and twist it with nose plier. I did on my silver base.
ps: you need threadlock to fix it back and will get weird taste of adhesive.
#11 (permalink)      3/5/2016 9:12:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LuckyLarry
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 1638
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1145
Since I’m looking for a way to pass a little time I thought I might throw this in the pot:

If you’re trying to separate two components here’s what you need to consider:

The component with the smallest mass will change temperature quicker than the one with the greatest mass.

If the part with the female thread has greatest mass, you need to shrink the part with the smallest mass (the male thread). This is because when you heat the two parts together the one with the smallest mass (the male thread) will shrink back quicker than the one with the greatest mass, as it cools. (A good soak in hot water might do the trick).

If the part with the male thread has greatest mass, you need to expand the part with the smallest mass (the female thread). This is because when you cool the two parts together the one with the smallest mass (the female thread) will expand back quicker than the one with the greatest mass, as it warms-up. (The fridge or freezer might be right for this).

Ask anyone who has fitted a starter ring to a flywheel. :=)

luqy

Edited on 3/5/2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason:
It seems “live and let live” has given way to “my way or no way”. :)