shopping cart empty
Activate deeply discharged battery
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/26/2015 10:48:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18260
+2 details
Activate deeply discharged battery
I didn't notice this until I looked at the picture of the box. The big thing differentiating the Xtar series from other chargers is its ability to charge from completely flat. Whilst it's a brilliant feature, Luc users can have faster charging, AND buy one of these for the occasional need to drag a cell back from the dead.

I still maintain the the VC4 is the nearest we have to a perfect charger, but why buy one as an upgrade to say a Luc V4, when you can snag one of these as an additional device? This could ironically be about the best charger Xtar sell.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#2 (permalink)      5/26/2015 11:00:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sunlounger33
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 979
  • Reviews 67
  • Kudos1406
Nitecore UM10/20 also activates 0v batteries, and they're dead cheap as well also have a charging lcd display
Keeper Of The Albino MBS! #vgraisesIQlevels
#3 (permalink)      5/27/2015 1:09:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+2 details
Never a good idea to bring back the deads.
But maybe it is just me, too much zombies movies...
#4 (permalink)      5/27/2015 1:51:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
smok_king
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2167
  • Reviews 180
  • Kudos1076
Deeply discharge li-ion batteries are ruin.
At what voltage do you consider deeply discharge?
Zero......

As JPBel said never a good idea to bring back a dead li ion batt. And how do you know the internal cell are not damage?
Unless you one to experiment how a thermal runaway cell look like. Hehehe

Its more of xtar sales pitch.

Edited on 5/27/2015 at 2:06 AM. Reason:
JOYETECH IS BEST
#5 (permalink)      5/27/2015 2:02:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flambo
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 2913
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos1181
Nymzavril wrote:

I The big thing differentiating the Xtar series from other chargers is its ability to charge from completely flat.

I've ordered one- didn't expect resurrections from this one- but-
there it is on the Xtarlight site :D

It can't charge NiMH or NiCads- but like most people, I already have chargers for them.

What is brilliant about this, for $7 no newbie needs to use passthru charging-
and it's so portable.
Means people can save for the $30 VC4 4 slot, when they start chewing thru batts and powaaaaaa.

I slept more easily this morning knowing my backup is ordered- Scheduled Ship Date: 5/28/2015

imo, the Xtar VC4 is better than the Luc V4, if only because it charges NiMH.
authenticSoshine will charge 4 batts @ 1A,
LiPo and NiMH- not too shabby.

I'm not sure which 4 slot I'll buy when my Soshine needs replacing, but I'm sure I'll buy another one of these soon.

noob forever
#6 (permalink)      6/8/2015 1:38:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 5645
  • Reviews 268
  • Kudos3337
I ordered one to leave at work,in case of emergency i.e. zombie went to work w/o spares batts
non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#7 (permalink)      6/8/2015 1:49:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
baldar
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 1611
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos2005
Nymzavril wrote:

its ability to charge from completely flat. Whilst it's a brilliant feature

No it is not brillant at all because you need to be particulary cautious with a lithium based battery that had been discharged completely flat.
That is the reason why most reliable chargers are testing the battery's voltage before applying a charging current and won't recharge it if its voltage is lower than lithium safety specification.
There might be an internal short so they don't take the risk to let the charger recharging it.

EDIT
Do not recharge lithium-ion if a cell has stayed at or below 1.5V for more than a week. Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies.
Source : http://batteryuniversity.com

EDIT2;
...when going beyond specification, the cell deteriorates and delivers a reduced service life. More important is the safety that is being compromised when beyond limit.
Source : Charging Lithium-ion

Edited on 6/8/2015 at 2:08 PM. Reason:
Batteries tests & SAFETY >> http://tinyurl.com/qc4h45u << ... Lubricant >> http://tinyurl.com/mvroz7h <<
#8 (permalink)      6/8/2015 2:02:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18260
Hence why it should only be done with a smart charger (which this allegedly is, despite not having the benefit of a screen telling you want it's up to) instead of tweaking it with a nine Volt battery. I've used Xtar VP4 and VC4 to revive dead cells before, and it worked perfectly.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#9 (permalink)      6/8/2015 2:13:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 24835
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos19703
I use a source with a low current at (around) 4 volts for less than 60 seconds. Brings them back up so any charger can take over. I have used 9 volt batteries in a pinch.

Note you could blow your eye out :)
Heaven has a wall and strict immigration policies. Hell has open borders.
#10 (permalink)      6/8/2015 2:17:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
baldar
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 1611
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos2005
Nymzavril wrote:

Hence why it should only be done with a smart charger

Sorry but you are wrong again.
Charging such a battery must be done with a very low charging current and it is only how the owner will use its charger that will determinate the charging current.

Edited on 6/8/2015 at 2:23 PM. Reason:
Batteries tests & SAFETY >> http://tinyurl.com/qc4h45u << ... Lubricant >> http://tinyurl.com/mvroz7h <<
#11 (permalink)      6/8/2015 2:25:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 24835
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos19703
Many chargers will mistake a Li-ion that is below 1.5 volts for a Ni-Cd and charge it to 1.5v and cut off. Remove it reinsert it and it will finish the charge.

Again all this at your own risk. :)
Heaven has a wall and strict immigration policies. Hell has open borders.