shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

How do you guys screw the tank without moving the deck barrel?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      9/16/2016 8:31:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kutusov
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 250
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos64
How do you guys screw the tank without moving the deck barrel?
I have this tank for ages but was missing an oring and never tried to build it. Now that I found the spare orings I'm wondering if I'm getting this right... when one screw in the tank, the chimney is supposed to catch and screw into the juice flow control thingy but it's a delicate operation, way too easy for the whole barrel and JFL to move and twist wick and coil.

I'm also wondering how the JFL cap works. If the chimney is supposed to screw in there and the cap has no fixed position, won't that make a poor seal?

I'm possibly missing something obvious as a lot of people swear by this tank so please help me out here!

Edited on 9/16/2016 at 9:01 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      9/16/2016 8:41:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kkraaj
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 478
  • Reviews 70
  • Kudos422
In my hotcig one, the chamber barrel does not rotate when I"m screwing the tank on the base. In another cheaper clone I have, it can rotate sometimes.

However, if you pull the barrel up and down a bit, there is a position where it locks and does not twist so easily.

The chamber cap has an o-ring. If the o-ring is in place and the cap is screwed in enough that the o-ring is in contact with the barrel, it will make a seal.

Personally I've found no difference between the JFC positions even with 100% VG, but I vape at about 1.2 Ohms around 12-15 Watts.
The only thing I miss about smoking are the lighters. Go figure!
#3 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:00:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kutusov
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 250
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos64
Judging from the comments, mine is from a more recent batch of Hotcig ones, has no logos or serials or anything laser etched anywhere. It came on a Hotcig box, has the spare red orings and the posts can be fully disassembled so I'm assuming it is a Hotcig one.

Thanks for the tips but maybe I have a bad one, I can't find any position where the barrel locks or gets tight enough not to move. The top of the barrel gnaws the oring on the cap badly, it's a pain even to get it to the beginning of the threads. The oring I was missing was this exact one, it broked the second I took the cap off when it arrived. Probably something wrong with my barrel, that's why I'm having all this issues... Oh well, one last try and off to the shelf with it if it doesn't work. No luck for me with clones :(

Thanks again @kkraaj!!
#4 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:07:55 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+1 details
There is no JFC. That's an early misunderstanding that has stuck around since the V1.

Keep the wick inside the chamber, make sure the oring that holds the chamber to the deck does so firmly and tighten the chamber cap down before installing the tank.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#5 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:12:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 6652
  • Reviews 121
  • Kudos26109
+1 details
You could try another chamber/ cap, these SKU 2245200 are good although I've used them on the GT2 bases available here not on the Hotcig.
Anyone who has never harassed the music threads is welcome at Let's-report-The Melvins...
#6 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:28:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+1 details
I can confirm SKU 2245200 that cmj55 posted fits the hotcig. If you want more juice flow dremel larger holes in the chamber.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#7 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:40:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kutusov
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 250
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos64
gph61 wrote:

There is no JFC. That's an early misunderstanding that has stuck around since the V1.

Keep the wick inside the chamber, make sure the oring that holds the chamber to the deck does so firmly and tighten the chamber cap down before installing the tank.

You mean like this? (photo from a Hurricane, I think)

[img][/img]

Well, this is what happens when I start to screw the top cap :D

Aaargh, so wished the Kayfun V3 was 22mm and held more juice...

#8 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:45:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kutusov
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 250
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos64
gph61 wrote:

I can confirm SKU 2245200 that cmj55 posted fits the hotcig. If you want more juice flow dremel larger holes in the chamber.

Thanks guys! No, I use somewhere from 50 to 60PG (DIY) so these ports should be fine.

#9 (permalink)      9/16/2016 9:51:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
kkraaj
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 478
  • Reviews 70
  • Kudos422
+2 details
kutusov wrote:
[quote]gph61 wrote:

You mean like this? (photo from a Hurricane, I think)

[img][/img]

Well, this is what happens when I start to screw the top cap :D

Aaargh, so wished the Kayfun V3 was 22mm and held more juice...[/quote]

It seems to be a case of a wrongly placed or wrong sized o-ring(it does seem too thick in the pic). Never had this happen on any of mine even the $12 clone.

OP, why don't you try putting this o-ring at the base and see if you have a similar but thinner o-ring at the base or in your spares?

Also, for me I get the best flavour when the wick heads straight out from the coil to about 2-3mm outside the wicking window in the chamber. I kept the wick inside the base, resting against the window in an S shape sometimes, but the flavour got muted everytime.

OP, this document might help.
https://vk.com/doc-106852151_437023213?dl=d8ed8e0206e10991e2

Edited on 9/16/2016 at 9:56 AM. Reason:
The only thing I miss about smoking are the lighters. Go figure!
#10 (permalink)      9/16/2016 10:03:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26822
+1 details
Also make sure there's a bit of juice on orings before screwing things together.
#11 (permalink)      9/16/2016 10:06:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 6652
  • Reviews 121
  • Kudos26109
+1 details
That's a good idea to swap the o-rings the one in the photo is too big.

I have my chamber holes ground out to 4mm. (for max. VG) and use fluffy s-wicks. The s-wicks work well for me and have the advantage that if the chamber should turn a small amount it doesn't matter.

I mount my coil downwards unlike the photo, getting it close to the air hole. I use a 3mm. id coil made with 28awg SS316l which just fits between the posts.

Although we will all build these slightly differently, most would agree that the Taifun is well worth persevering with.
Anyone who has never harassed the music threads is welcome at Let's-report-The Melvins...