shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

How to reinsert the inner ring (AKA the Sharpie trick)?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/31/2015 12:08:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1009
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos787
How to reinsert the inner ring (AKA the Sharpie trick)?
I cannot insert it. All prepared:

Insert sharpie cap:

And when i poke with a small screwdriver, all I manage to do is to push part of it below its place.

Halp?

Edited on 8/31/2015 at 1:24 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      8/31/2015 1:40:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7413
  • Reviews 310
  • Kudos4356
Firstly, it would help to untwist the oring. It's all twisted up.
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#3 (permalink)      8/31/2015 1:59:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1009
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos787
No, it isn't on picture 1, before the start of the operation. I know because it's hard to get it even in that position untwisted past the threads, which are narrower. If I take it out then (on picture 1) it doesn't twist or untwist on itself. After picture 1 I don't know, that's what I'm asking - how to proceed.
#4 (permalink)      8/31/2015 2:14:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Michelarm
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 3312
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos731
-

Edited on 8/31/2015 at 2:15 AM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      8/31/2015 4:07:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pondez
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 223
  • Reviews 115
  • Kudos203
If i seeing this right you are trying to put a o ring in the base were the 510 scew comes through.

My base comes with a disk insulator of plastic (peek) i would assume its made from.

Did yours come with that oring in there ?

Edited on 8/31/2015 at 4:08 AM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      8/31/2015 4:25:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1009
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos787
pondez wrote:

If i seeing this right you are trying to put a o ring in the base were the 510 scew comes through.My base comes with a disk insulator of plastic (peek) i would assume its made from.Did yours come with that oring in there ?

I took out the plastic (peek) insulator for its protection, it can be reinstalled even with this o-ring in place. That place is the groove right above the airholes. I took out the original (black one) because the tank was leaking (more like gurgling, but very annoying).

I replaced all other o-rings, so this must be the culprit. The black and the red one seem identical in size to me, but I hope they have miniscule differences or because of the different material, this one will stop the leaking.

Even if I acquire other o-rings later on, I must master the art of replacing this o-ring. The black one already gave me trouble and I might have damaged it, so maybe that's why it was leaking.

#7 (permalink)      8/31/2015 4:47:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Tezza42
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 176
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos218
+1 details
I struggled with this so I can sympathise.

I fitted the O ring into the groove and leaving a "loop". Make sure the O ring is not twisted.
Then I "worked" as deep as possible into the groove with a smooth part of a pick. A small screwdriver would do.
Eventually the "loop" gets smaller until it can be "sprung" into the groove.
Very frustrating but it can be done.

Your initial idea looks better but the tool (sharpie cap) would need to be a fairly close fit in the bore. Try an alternative perhaps?

Sorry for all the quotes and the vague description but it's hard to describe and I'm not taking out again to video it!

EDIT:

To clarify, I had the "loop" projecting into the bore.

Edited on 8/31/2015 at 4:48 AM. Reason: edit
"Take up your china doll, it's only fractured - and just a little nervous from the fall"
#8 (permalink)      8/31/2015 5:25:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1009
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos787
Tezza42 wrote:

I struggled with this so I can sympathise. I fitted the O ring into the groove and leaving a "loop". Make sure the O ring is not twisted.Then I "worked" as deep as possible into the groove with a smooth part of a pick. A small screwdriver would do.Eventually the "loop" gets smaller until it can be "sprung" into the groove.Very frustrating but it can be done.Your initial idea looks better but the tool (sharpie cap) would need to be a fairly close fit in the bore. Try an alternative perhaps?Sorry for all the quotes and the vague description but it's hard to describe and I'm not taking out again to video it!EDIT:To clarify, I had the "loop" projecting into the bore.

It's not my idea, it's from here. It is not clear to me whether the cap should go all the way to the bottom or only to the groove. And I can't see anything anyways, so I'd be working blind. If the cap is thinner, it won't hold enough of the o-ring.

I found that, if the loop goes below the groove, it's game over - I can't lift it any more without disturbing the whole o-ring. If it's above the groove, like on picture 1, I might still have a chance.

#9 (permalink)      8/31/2015 6:34:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1009
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos787
Well, congratulations to me. I snapped the red o-ring. I had this bright idea to screw the "pill" in, hoping to push the rest of the o-ring in place. It was all below the groove. I didn't feel any resistance.

On the plus side, the black o-ring jumped right into the groove, it took me less than a minute. But that probably means it is smaller and/or less elastic, so it will leak.

I tried my best to measure it with calipers, but I'm not experienced in that. The thickness is definitely 1,2 mm of both, but I can't decide whether the OD is 17 or 18 mm or something in between. Anyone know the correct dimensions? In the manual, and in most of the places, this o-ring is not mentioned.

And of course, I'd still appreciate a lesson in how to fit this o-ring, when I get the proper one.
#10 (permalink)      8/31/2015 6:46:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18276
Next time, use tweezers. With the o-ring partially installed, pinch the sections in the groove gradually until the loop shrinks enough to push home. It's a minor ballache, but only takes a couple of minutes.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#11 (permalink)      8/31/2015 8:18:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1009
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos787
I tried with SKU 1435305, the most precise/pointy I have. The o-ring kept escaping.