shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

One short and you are done
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/9/2015 5:26:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27278
+2 details
Shortest path is Brass pin to the base of the switch and then to the tube itself. The magnets will still be electrified, but not in the direct path of the bulk of the current. ;-)

As Hartoled mentioned though, a short creates heat, and heat can kill a magnet pretty good too.

Edited on 2/9/2015 at 5:27 AM. Reason:
Woah, mama!
#12 (permalink)      2/9/2015 5:34:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andyk
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 10955
  • Reviews 680
  • Kudos9349
What I'm bothered about with this mod is that you can't replace the magnets in case anything goes wrong. You can but you will have to beat the hell out of it :D
My Location: Bharat (aka IN) .. Namaste /\ .. ***TC doesn't work for me as it's an imperfect solution to a problem that I never even had*** - Sossij
#13 (permalink)      2/9/2015 5:36:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
GhostalkerS
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 158
  • Reviews 54
  • Kudos108
+2 details
Andyk wrote:

I have been using Fortune mod since some time.

1). One short, just one short blew the magnets away. Had to buy new.
2). Have to replace magnets each month because of the dust ruining the chrome (or whatever it is) plating from the magnets.
3). This mod has a huge potential of auto-firing in your pocket.

I may be wrong on the third one, who knows for sure unless you own one. But, the first two are valid points. Been there, done that.

You 'lock' the button into place by removing it and placing it on the smaller holes... it will not auto fire in a pocket.

#14 (permalink)      2/9/2015 5:40:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hartoled
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 13576
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos10969
+1 details
You know, Andy...I'm sitting here, just loving my Typhoon Mod with the GT II on it. I know that if the board ever goes out in it I am screwed. Some things are just with us for a little while but too beautiful not to be enjoyed.
KF4 Leaking? For a more secure seal, replace the o-ring #16 with one that is 1.5mm cross section. SKU 1536606 or SKU 1536607
#15 (permalink)      2/9/2015 5:42:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
johnny_469
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 23118
  • Reviews 288
  • Kudos27278
+1 details
It really does look like an innovative mod. I think the only flaw is the contact surface in the switch available when firing, but that doesn't matter at all unless you're going to fire below .2oHm I'd imagine. If I was intending to, I'd probably just get another SMPL, oh wait, I did ;-)
Woah, mama!
#16 (permalink)      2/9/2015 9:56:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TazCat
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 337
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos276
+3 details
I don't think that demagnetization would be nearly as much of a problem with this as on the Fortune mod. Like others have said, on that mod the magnets are used as the actual contact and therefore have to conduct the full brunt of the current... that's bound to cause the magnets to lose some or all of their strength to one degree or another eventually. That isn't the case with the Calvert/Kare mods... only very minimal current will pass through them by virtue of being in contact with the brass... the brass contact and tube will carry the lionshare of the current.

Now an overheated switch is still a potential issue, but I see no reason that it would be any more so than with any other magnetic switch... and you'd be able to yank that switch and break the circuit faster than with any other mod I have seen.

Still, if you DID have to replace the magnets it looks doable... not easy that's for sure... but doable. Given that neodymium magnets are brittle as f*ck and will shatter to tiny pieces very easily, why couldn't you just don a bit of eye protection and take a drill or dremel to them if you really did need to replace them? On a slow speed, of course, I wouldn't recommend going at them on too high a speed! :)

Heck, TBH NTITOI you could probably skip the damn drill altogether and just use a center punch/ice pick/etc and a light tap of a hammer to break each magnet apart and then use a cheap dental pick/needle file/etc to pry the pieces loose. Once you cleared the old magnets out the holes it would be relatively simple to fit new magnets of the same size in them.

Just my crackpot two cents worth.

I'm not personally bothered about the slight potential for needing to replace the magnets. I've taken on worse odds with plenty of other mods and attys and come out the winner. I'm just trying to decide between brass and steel. Decisions decisions decisions...
When things get too serious and dramatic... take a step back and go find something to laugh at. You'll feel better, live longer, and die happier than the folk who don't.
#17 (permalink)      2/9/2015 10:08:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TazCat
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 337
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos276
johnny_469 wrote:

I think the only flaw is the contact surface in the switch available when firing, but that doesn't matter at all unless you're going to fire below .2oHm I'd imagine.

There would likely be more surface area of contact with a curved switch face meeting a curved contact, than with the flat switch meeting a curved contact that mods like the Congestus and Vapor Giant have. Not as much as with flat switch on flat contact, I'll grant you that, but I don't see any major cause for concern here.

Definitely an innovative and clever little mod. I try not to succumb to hype, but I'm a sucker for clever novelty. :)

When things get too serious and dramatic... take a step back and go find something to laugh at. You'll feel better, live longer, and die happier than the folk who don't.
#18 (permalink)      2/9/2015 10:37:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
The way the magnets are placed, the current will not affect them much.

The heat will need to be above 80°C to have any real effect on the magnets.

The auto firing in pocket depend on the switch position.
If the dull pins are in the small holes, it should not auto fire.
#19 (permalink)      3/5/2015 3:42:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Cigfree
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 871
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos194
Just ordered 2 in SS. Hope they resolve all the dreaded firing button issues I've had in the past and present with mech mods.
LokJaw
#20 (permalink)      3/5/2015 3:57:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hartoled
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 13576
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos10969
TazCat beat me to the solution that I would try. Shatter them and then glue in new ones. Trick would be getting them polarized, I guess.

I slathered Penetrox on all of my switch and contact surfaces and the conductivity is great. It hits hard even below 3.5 volts using HE2s, HE4s or VCT4s or 5s. I can hardly tell any fall off and it hits surely each press.
KF4 Leaking? For a more secure seal, replace the o-ring #16 with one that is 1.5mm cross section. SKU 1536606 or SKU 1536607
#21 (permalink)      3/5/2015 3:31:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Rixter
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 8
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
johnny_469 wrote:

Andyk wrote:I have been using Fortune mod since some time.1). One short, just one short blew the magnets away. Had to buy new.2). Have to replace magnets each month because of the dust ruining the chrome (or whatever it is) plating from the magnets.3). This mod has a huge potential of auto-firing in your pocket.I may be wrong on the third one, who knows for sure unless you own one. But, the first two are valid points. Been there, done that.Isn't the current carried by the magnets in the fortune mod? The magnets in this switch are not in the current path.

Anybody that would put this mod in their pocket without locking the switch first is an idiot and probably shouldn't be using a mech mod in the first place.