shopping cart empty
Cheap Bulk Cotton Like this?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      5/1/2021 1:17:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
philipvdb
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2518
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos4137
+1 details
pewpew wrote:

philipvdb wrote:
Muji on their website 2.9$ for 165 pads.
Is it good? That low price makes me suspicious a bit

No idea, just tried to help. Personaly, i have been using organic cottonballs from wallgreen since ages.

We can't agree on everything.
#12 (permalink)      5/1/2021 1:45:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2249
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1949
pewpew wrote:

Is it good? That low price makes me suspicious a bit.

That's what Muji costs, before the vape stores resell it to you. It's what it's supposed to cost. The three-dollar American price is less than the Canadian price because (1) differences in currency and (2) almost everything is more expensive in Canada because of smaller markets, transportation, taxes,...

Muji is a Japanese chain store, sort of a weird cross between a "dollar store" and the kitchen and bath sections of an IKEA. You want cheap, quality everyday consumables, linens, etc., it's the place to go. "Muji cotton" is their house brand of, as I noted above, the Japanese equivalent of cotton balls - the Japanese have used pads where Europe and the Americas have used cotton balls. Puffs is another bargain(ish) brand. Koh Gen Do, Shiseido, etc., are upmarket brands of the same thing - cotton pads meant for cleaning, removing makeup, etc.

By the way, the rope-style cotton (Cotton Bacon and so forth) is also just off-the-shelf stuff originally meant for other purposes, conveniently repackaged in much smaller quantities and sold at a much higher "vape tax" price.

Edited on 5/1/2021 at 1:46 PM. Reason:
#13 (permalink)      5/2/2021 2:44:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FrankieS
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 720
  • Reviews 211
  • Kudos347
pewpew wrote:

It depends... I've tried such suggestion before getting the large pack I'm currently running out of... and I found out that fibers in pharmacies' cotton pads or disks aren't aligned in one direction resulting in noticeably worse performance

Essellar and I buy our cotton pads from local pharmacies or the Muji store which we have locally in Canada. The pharmacies we speak of have cosmetics departments with many different types and grades of cotton. The Muji pads from the Muji store are what most vapers used before all these fancy brands came out. The Shiseido Pads are pretty much a similar165 pads package, except they are white. I have been using them successfully and happily in my rebuildables since 2015 or so. I prefer them to Muji since they have absolutely no cotton taste. I’m not advertising a brand. Just letting the members know what I have had a good experience with, rather than paying a lot of money for small packages of cotton. At the end, all of the suggestions here are given with the best of intentions.

#14 (permalink)      5/2/2021 10:46:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2579
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1053
Do they have fibers aligned?
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#15 (permalink)      5/2/2021 11:03:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2249
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1949
+1 details
Muji does. Shiseido appears to, from what I've seen on the shelves, but since I've got a closetful of Muji I've been satisfied with for years, I haven't tried it.
#16 (permalink)      5/2/2021 11:48:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2579
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1053
essellar wrote:

Muji does

Thanks, that's the recommendation I was looking for since for my application this is a must.

FrankieS wrote:
The Shiseido Pads are pretty much a similar165 pads package, except they are white.[/quote]
One more question please: Is it correct what Muji-originated pads are of "organic" yellowish tint, while Shiseido-originated are chemically bleached white?

The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#17 (permalink)      5/2/2021 12:37:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FrankieS
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 720
  • Reviews 211
  • Kudos347
+1 details
pewpew wrote:

Do they have fibers aligned?

The Shiseido is aligned as well. And the package guarantees the best moisturizer (e-liquid, in our case) delivery.
It does not say it is not unbleached, but at the bottom of the package indicates “Tested for harmful substances.
I was having issues posting pictures. But it looks like they are resolved. All pictures except the last are Shiseido. Sorry, I have used it all up. Last one is the Muji we can buy from the Muji stores in Canada.

#18 (permalink)      5/2/2021 1:03:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11185
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17337
Edit: See someone else posted a photo. Sorry, should have refreshed my page first.

Edited on 5/2/2021 at 1:03 PM. Reason:
#19 (permalink)      5/2/2021 1:05:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11185
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17337
+1 details
A post on Reddit

Just got off the phone with Sheseido. They have confirmed that their product is not bleached, however I was also told that it is not organically grown.

Reddit

Edited on 5/2/2021 at 1:06 PM. Reason: url
#20 (permalink)      5/2/2021 2:11:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2579
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1053
Okay, thanks everyone, gonna check local pharmacies for Shiseido and Muji (in that priority order) hopefully they will fulfill my wicking needs with a large bag as pictured above
#21 (permalink)      5/2/2021 10:20:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
xandwhyisY
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 569
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos498
Still.Me wrote:

A post on RedditJust got off the phone with Sheseido. They have confirmed that their product is not bleached, however I was also told that it is not organically grown.Reddit

I was wondering if Sheseido was organic cotton. I bought some years ago at the Bay and I'm sure it said organic on the package. I went to Shoppers last year and there was no mention of it being organic on the packaging.
I prefer Koh Gen Do, but it's probably because it's the first cotton I ever used. I think it's more of a psychological thing than a rational thing for me.