shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Fluttering sound
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/28/2015 2:40:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
KennyBrash
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 22
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos2
Fluttering sound
Mine came in today. Everything is fine except for this weird fluttering sound when I hold down the fire button. Should I be worried?
#2 (permalink)      1/28/2015 2:47:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TechnoVaper
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos192
When you say fluttering sound do you mean like a buzz? If so it could be that the switch is faulty or any number of things such as that the chip is not getting enough power. The first thing I would do is to check with different fresh set of batteries. Also try with a different build/atomiser. If this does not work perhaps try opening it up and isolating where the sound is coming from when you fire it.
#3 (permalink)      1/28/2015 3:20:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
KennyBrash
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 22
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos2
http://youtu.be/w0azPgjtYZY
#4 (permalink)      1/28/2015 3:27:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
nerfologist
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 5477
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos7115
Watched your vid, mine does not do that. Have you tried vaping on it yet, if so does it still make that sound.
Loud and proud member of the FT EW Club. #EWindahouse - NEW ACHIEVEMENT AWARDED - Entitled Noob. Yayyyy. :D
#5 (permalink)      1/28/2015 3:29:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
theSilvah
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 200
  • Reviews 102
  • Kudos83
+1 details
sounds like pulse width modulation perhaps
#6 (permalink)      1/28/2015 3:48:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TechnoVaper
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos192
Nope that sounds like one of two things, a buck/boost transformer struggling under load or being slightly lose. The first thing I would try is different (better) batteries. If the buzzing continues then you really have one option, open the device and check for a lose solder joint on the chip. Should be near one of the 'coil' looking things. if it is lose it will cause the buzzing when it vibrates (Or if one of the clips or components near it are lose it can cause them to vibrate also.). If it is the chip then I would send it back for replacement as it could possibly develop into a fault in the future. Just make sure to test it with different batteries and atomizer first. Perhaps try a build 1.5+ ohms to reduce the load on the device.
#7 (permalink)      1/28/2015 9:03:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gremmies
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos40
Mine just started making this sound and I'm constantly getting "CHECK ATOMIZER" with all my atties causing me to have to fiddle with them just to fire. If I shake the box around while it's firing it'll stop. Ohm readings are all jumpy now as well. Looks like this one might be going back... or a very expensive lesson at the least.

Edited on 1/28/2015 at 9:24 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      1/28/2015 9:39:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TechnoVaper
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos192
gremmies you might want to check your 510 connection, sounds like the fixed 510 center pin has compressed in to the base and is probably shorting. Happens all the time with fixed 510's as the insulation under it is only a small thin layer of plastic. You can try prizing up the center pin and slipping a small o-ring under it to stop it. Or just order a replacement adjustable 510 connection from here and swap it out if you don't mind soldering a couple of wires.
#9 (permalink)      1/28/2015 9:54:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gremmies
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos40
TechnoVaper wrote:

gremmies you might want to check your 510 connection, sounds like the fixed 510 center pin has compressed in to the base and is probably shorting. Happens all the time with fixed 510's as the insulation under it is only a small thin layer of plastic. You can try prizing up the center pin and slipping a small o-ring under it to stop it. Or just order a replacement adjustable 510 connection from here and swap it out if you don't mind soldering a couple of wires.

I just got the 510 pin up as high as I could and it's still giving me the exact same problems. All the soldering on the pin and the board wires look fine as well.

#10 (permalink)      1/28/2015 10:22:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TechnoVaper
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos192
Hrrm the buzzing indicates something vibrating due to electromagnetic forces that are released by the buck/boost transformer. On it's own the the buzzing does not really indicate a problem. The check atomiser problem is more of an issue and would seem to indicate a short somewhere. If it is resolved by shaking the device then something must be lose inside and cause a short. If it is not the 510 connection it could be the housing for the chip in the case. I seem to remember some metal pin/springs holding the chip in place attached to the mod body in the pictures you posted. Perhaps check that they are insulated properly and not touching the chip.
I should be getting mine in the next few days so I will be able to check my self for this issue and any possible fix.
#11 (permalink)      1/28/2015 11:09:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gremmies
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 96
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos40
The ground wire screwed down to the inside of the body looks like it was done pretty hastily and sloppy. Could that possibly be where the loose connection is? Edit: Almost certain this is the problem, I just unscrewed it completely and a bunch of pieces of the ground wire came out with the screw. Also, I just got a good peak at the front of the chip finally, it's labeled as a "YKF-80W_MAIN_BOARD_V2.0".

Edited on 1/28/2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: