Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Wicking Method (with photos)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      2/20/2015 8:11:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos336
+41 details
Wicking Method (with photos)
I've read that a few owners of this particular Aqua v2 are having trouble with muted/flavorless pulls or dry hits. I was going to post this instructional in the "flavor this or kayfun v4" thread, where there was some discussion about the wicking of the Aqua v2. However, I thought that it might be better to start a separate thread, in case any new owners are having trouble and are seeking some help.

I'm no master coil-builder nor wicker-er! I've just found a wicking method that works flawlessly for me and would like to share it. I've had no leaks whatsoever, no dry hits at all, and insanely deep, rich, thick flavor from this build and wicking method.

I'm running a dual-micro coil with a total of 0.5 ohms and run it at 27W. I use 26ga Kanthal A1 and each coil is wrapped 8x around a 2.5mm cylinder. Nothing special at all about this.

Wick material is Japanese cotton. I split a square of the cotton so that it becomes 50% "thinner". I then cut the square into strips as shown, along the grain of the cotton. The width of each strip is around 10mm give or take 1-2mm.

Let's get on with it! Captions describe the image below them.

Japanese cotton strip.

Cut in two.

Each one is folded in half, length-wise, with one end twisted to a point.

Pointy-end fed through coil, then fluffed-out. It's important to note that the cotton should feel SNUG while feeding it through. Not too tight, but not too loose, either.

Cut the wick at an angle. Try to get your scissors as close to the coil as possible... maybe leave 2-3 mm between the coil and the cut-point. Angle your scissors to so that the blades are about touching the edge of the deck. This is to get consistent cut angles.

Another shot of the first cut. A bit blurry, sorry.

Do the same for the other side of the wick.

Here are both coils wicked. Shot from the top.

Prime the wicks with juice. I'm using 80VG juice. Notice that the "sharp" end of the wick fits nicely in the channel. You can't really see from this angle, but the sharp wick-end is not at all even "bursting out" of the channel. It's so thin that it comfortably just rests inside the opening, with room to spare.

All the channels wicked-up. If you can see from the far-left wick, it is not protuding out of the channel. Do not jam wick into the channel! A slight sliver of wick is all you need. (Don't worry, I wiped the excess cotton strands before capping it!)

Another top-down shot of the build.

After filling your tank with juice, wait at least 5-10 minutes before vaping. If you are not patient, and start vaping immediately after twisting the tank on, you will have extremely muted flavor! Do yourself a favor and do something productive that takes 5-10 minutes before vaping this after wicking. From then on, you will have a very rich, wet vape.

If you are having troubles with this tank, I urge you to give it another go, if maybe there is something different about my method and yours.

Good luck!!
#2 (permalink)      2/20/2015 8:30:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21541
+2 details
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#3 (permalink)      2/20/2015 8:39:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Morris65
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 1220
  • Reviews 83
  • Kudos776
+2 details
Excellent tutorial(and photos) flux_ ! Mine's in the mail and have bookmarked this post.

#4 (permalink)      2/20/2015 8:51:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos336
+2 details
You're very welcome, Morris65. I am enjoying this tank so much that I thought it was a shame that others are not having as good a time with it as I. I just want to try to help people get the most out of this tank because I've been so happy with it since I first used it. Vape on bro!
#5 (permalink)      2/20/2015 12:33:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
skank
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 249
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos225
+1 details
Very well made tutorial. Pretty much identical to my build and wicking method. All except one thing. I wrap one coil clockwise and the other counterclockwise, as it has been designed for. Any reason why you don't? I find the 2.5mm id coils sit in the perfect position with very short legs when made like that and you don't end up with one coil slightly higher resistance.

Build your Aqua v2 like this and you will indeed get a fantastic flavorful vape that kills any Kayfun I have used.
#6 (permalink)      2/20/2015 12:40:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
flux_
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 679
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos336
Makes sense spank. I will do as you suggest on my next build. Yeah I was always getting one coil heating up faster than the other and it was always the same side coil! Nice one, thanks for the tip
#7 (permalink)      2/20/2015 1:31:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
filorp
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 246
  • Reviews 187
  • Kudos65
yeah flux excellent tutorial I enjoyed the picture, you have embraced everything including spiky/pointy wick ends I am impressed, but i still think that it taste horribly, maybe I exaggerate but to be honest i haven't spent so much time with any atomizer.... its just frustrating..... the only thing that remained is to try Japanese cotton (i dont think that i find anything better than my polish raw cellulose cotton) and next time I rebuild ill try wait even 20 minutes.
#8 (permalink)      2/20/2015 1:43:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lionel38
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 168
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos86
Good tutorial ,Ive been enjoying my Aqua V2 alot, the taste and flavour ive been getting from my juices has been awsome so your tutorial should help those who arent getting the bennefits we are .My Aqua V2 is getting more use than any of my other atties/drippers .The Kayfun V4 is good but not as good as my Aqua v2 .
#9 (permalink)      2/20/2015 2:32:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
banjo
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 850
  • Reviews 140
  • Kudos854
+1 details
Kudos to you FLUX.
BTW I do almost excactly the same method on both my fogger and orchid V4s.
Only difference is I still use organic Cotton. Works also well.
It just doesnt get any better than this !
#10 (permalink)      2/20/2015 2:38:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jaaxx
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 288
  • Reviews 36
  • Kudos164
+1 details
Kudos, kudos. kudos! That's exactly the way to do it.
#11 (permalink)      2/20/2015 3:57:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gonebamboo
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 204
  • Reviews 7
  • Kudos142
+1 details
Thank you for this FLUX !! I have all but given up on my aqua. Right now it sits waiting for replacement posts (DOA). Someday after CNY I hope I see them and be able to get the wires tight and give your tips a try.

I have been wicking, cutting cotton at a sharp angle, just as you say with one exception. Not splitting the cotton in half. First time I have seen this tip.
Might be I have to much cotton????

Thank you again !!
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" ~The Duke