Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+
100-pack

This wire is probably made of Kanthal-D (not Nikrothal) EDIT: Nichrome 80
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      7/21/2014 11:48:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
HybridMask
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 1353
  • Reviews 47
  • Kudos337
I will order one of them in the next weeks. I will coment here about them.
#22 (permalink)      7/22/2014 5:15:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
beeorchid
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 31
  • Reviews 17
  • Kudos62
+2 details
@HybridMask and Felix1220
IMO a burnt taste is usually caused by a too high power density over the coil.
This usually happens when trying to achieve some wattage target over the coil, which does not conform with its surface area and spacing density.
For example, the highly appreciated 2.0 ohm "black wire" SKU 1620601 (see the reviews) is "too hot" to be set as a microcoil, unless being low powered at under 3 volt (which is silly…).
However, when it is set as a very sparse coil, it works perfectly even at 4.2 volt (so I wouldn't be surprised if it is beloved by some mechanical MOD users…)
This could happen with any alloy (NiChrome, Kanthal, Stainless-steel, etc.), whether it is oxidized/anodized or not.
However, taste is very subjective and some people may be very sensitive to certain reactions.
For example, I am very sensitive to the taste of Silica fiber. I've tried numerous brands and was always discouraged by some unpleasant flavor.
On the other hand, it seems that most vapers (including you HybridMask, if I'm not mistaken) are very happy with Silica, which is fortunate for them, since Silica is most convenient in terms of build and maintenance.
Similarly, it is possible that Felix1220 is sensitive to some reactions of the "black wires", which discourages him from using them.
Therefore, my recommendation to you HybridMask, is to try it for yourself. Maybe you are "lucky" (like many others including me) and you are not sensitive to the "black wires".
I also recommend that you always first test your built coils using a variable voltage (or wattage) setup (like your Vamo), in order to discover where it gives the best flavor.
Don't be tempted to get your preferred amount of vapor right away. Instead, start on low power and increase it slowly in 0.1 volt steps, each time taking few inhales, while carefully paying attention only to the quality of flavor.
Then, if on a certain setup you get a good flavor, but you are not satisfied by the amount of vapor, you will obviously find out that pushing the power higher does not help, as it turns the good flavor into a burnt one.
In such a case, try to set your coil more sparsely. This may let you increase the power on it to get more vapor, without causing a burnt taste.
If that doesn't help, then most likely you'll need to use a different wire, which is thicker.
Finally, if your setup turns out to function well at around 3.7-3.5 volt, then you may also power it with a simple regulated Ego battery.

Edited on 7/22/2014 at 5:27 PM. Reason:
#23 (permalink)      7/22/2014 9:36:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
HybridMask
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 1353
  • Reviews 47
  • Kudos337
I am a new vaper. I am vaper for two weeks, so i don't have experience yet. Sometimes i taste something strange while vaping (in my evod). I don't know if it's the silica. In some time i will try cotton to have an idea.

Thanks for the tip. I will do it with my vamo v5!

Can you post a picture of a microcoild made of the 2.4 ohm "black" wire you indicated earlier?
Also, I guess making a microcoil with the 1.7 ohms would be too hot right?
#24 (permalink)      8/1/2014 4:10:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
beeorchid
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 31
  • Reviews 17
  • Kudos62
+1 details
@HybridMask
Yes, as suspected, the 1.7Ω SKU 1760909 is too hot to be wrapped as a microcoil.
Nevertheless, I still like it – when it is wrapped with "medium" spacing of about 0.3-0.4mm between wraps, it performs very well under 3.7-3.5 volt, making it suitable also for simple regulated batteries (e.g. 900mAh ego).
You can read my full report here:
https://www.fasttech.com/forums/1760909/t/1348073/just-received-this-is-nichrome-80-not-kanthal

Edited on 8/1/2014 at 4:13 PM. Reason:
#25 (permalink)      8/1/2014 4:56:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
HybridMask
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 1353
  • Reviews 47
  • Kudos337
Thanks for the answer, @beeorchild

Question:
If I get the 1.7 ohms, and make like you said, with 0.3~0.4mm btw wraps, will it work in small coil heads, like the ones for the evod? Since I have to use all the R are I don't know if I will have space for that in the evod heads.
#26 (permalink)      8/1/2014 6:59:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
beeorchid
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 31
  • Reviews 17
  • Kudos62
@HybridMask
Yes, I do it with Evod heads myself and it has enough room inside.
Wrap the coil 7.5 or 8.5 turns.
A coil having 8.5 turns occupies most of the chamber's diameter, but still works fine.

Edited on 8/1/2014 at 7:00 PM. Reason:
#27 (permalink)      8/1/2014 7:14:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
HybridMask
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 1353
  • Reviews 47
  • Kudos337
Oh, it was my mistake. I though that the space btw every wrap should be 0.3-0.4mm, not the size of the entire coil...
#28 (permalink)      8/2/2014 5:26:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
beeorchid
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 31
  • Reviews 17
  • Kudos62
@HybridMask
No, you where right from the start – the gap SHOULD be 0.3-0.4mm between each turn!
So, for example, a 8.5 wraps coil, made of 0.195mm wire, having 0.35mm gaps, would have a total length of 9*0.195+8*0.35=4.555mm, which could still fit into an Evod head chamber.
You may experiment with the size of the gap until you find your sweet spot. This is why I recommended you to use your Vamo at first.
In fact, I have some 100% VG juice that I really like, which gives the best taste at a stronger heat than most other juice I have, so with the 1.7Ω SKU 1760909 under 3.7-3.5 volt I found the sweet spot for it to be at smaller 0.2mm gaps.

Edited on 8/2/2014 at 5:28 AM. Reason:
#29 (permalink)      8/2/2014 10:24:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
HybridMask
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 1353
  • Reviews 47
  • Kudos337
Hmmm, since I use pg based (70pg30vg), it will be better to have more space btw the wraps.

I will get both 1.7 and 2.4 (for microcoils test).

Thanks for the help, mate. And if you find something interesting about wires from fasttech, post here, if you rememeber!
#30 (permalink)      8/20/2014 5:41:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
enano
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 7
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
beeorchid wrote:

@HybridMask and Felix1220IMO a burnt taste is usually caused by a too high power density over the coil.This usually happens when trying to achieve some wattage target over the coil, which does not conform with its surface area and spacing density.For example, the highly appreciated 2.0 ohm "black wire" SKU 1620601 (see the reviews) is "too hot" to be set as a microcoil, unless being low powered at under 3 volt (which is silly…).However, when it is set as a very sparse coil, it works perfectly even at 4.2 volt (so I wouldn't be surprised if it is beloved by some mechanical MOD users…)This could happen with any alloy (NiChrome, Kanthal, Stainless-steel, etc.), whether it is oxidized/anodized or not.However, taste is very subjective and some people may be very sensitive to certain reactions.For example, I am very sensitive to the taste of Silica fiber. I've tried numerous brands and was always discouraged by some unpleasant flavor.On the other hand, it seems that most vapers (including you HybridMask, if I'm not mistaken) are very happy with Silica, which is fortunate for them, since Silica is most convenient in terms of build and maintenance.Similarly, it is possible that Felix1220 is sensitive to some reactions of the "black wires", which discourages him from using them.Therefore, my recommendation to you HybridMask, is to try it for yourself. Maybe you are "lucky" (like many others including me) and you are not sensitive to the "black wires".I also recommend that you always first test your built coils using a variable voltage (or wattage) setup (like your Vamo), in order to discover where it gives the best flavor.Don't be tempted to get your preferred amount of vapor right away. Instead, start on low power and increase it slowly in 0.1 volt steps, each time taking few inhales, while carefully paying attention only to the quality of flavor.Then, if on a certain setup you get a good flavor, but you are not satisfied by the amount of vapor, you will obviously find out that pushing the power higher does not help, as it turns the good flavor into a burnt one.In such a case, try to set your coil more sparsely. This may let you increase the power on it to get more vapor, without causing a burnt taste.If that doesn't help, then most likely you'll need to use a different wire, which is thicker.Finally, if your setup turns out to function well at around 3.7-3.5 volt, then you may also power it with a simple regulated Ego battery.

Can anyone tell me why these "black wire" SKU 1620601 have a black colour?
Is it really made of Nichrome or Kanthal or whatever?
Thank you.