shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

How I solved my sparking switch
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/4/2014 7:02:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
joaopra
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 4795
  • Reviews 72
  • Kudos4101
+2 details
How I solved my sparking switch
My switch was creating a lot of sparks around its inner part, almost every time it burned my finger.
After a proper wash of all the connections and polish of the dirty magnets it even got worse.
The problem was that it was the faster way for current to reach the tube from the switch, since the magnets did not touch when the pin touched the negative of the battery.

Here is the simple solution I found (I had no spare springs of the correct size), the mod came with 2 extra magnets around the negative pin.
I simply added one to the button (stacking 2 instead of one), that made the switch stiffer and with shorter throw but now they touch each other just as the pin reaches the battery making a good connection and the mod hits better.

Sorry I had no time for pics since I was just about to give up on the mod, hope it helps.
Using "regulation" as poorly disguised prohibition is criminal. Vaping is not smoking, reduces harm and saves lives.
#2 (permalink)      8/5/2014 7:05:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheCrimsonVaper
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 103
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos21
Would you mind measuring the magnets so I can see if I can obtain spares here? I think I threw mine at the wall in a rage...
#3 (permalink)      8/5/2014 7:15:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheCrimsonVaper
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 103
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos21
woot...all good, I found them. So how many mags have you got in the button all together?
#4 (permalink)      8/5/2014 9:49:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
joaopra
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 4795
  • Reviews 72
  • Kudos4101
Glad you found them !

I have 3 in total - 2 stacked together in the button + 1 in the switch housing
Using "regulation" as poorly disguised prohibition is criminal. Vaping is not smoking, reduces harm and saves lives.
#5 (permalink)      8/5/2014 10:48:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheCrimsonVaper
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 103
  • Reviews 20
  • Kudos21
Aaaawwwwwwww yyyyyeeeaaahhh. Now I can start liking this mod. Sharp tubes are still slicing my battery wraps though...gonna put my dremel on it and it might just be a half decent mod.
#6 (permalink)      8/5/2014 10:53:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
joaopra
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 4795
  • Reviews 72
  • Kudos4101
Cool !

Use fine grit sand paper on the edge of those tubes, should be more than enough.
Mine came normal, no cuts yet.
#7 (permalink)      8/13/2014 5:39:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bensooft
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 4713
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos3070
@joaopra: i haven't looked in on the discussions for this mod for a while, didn't know you and others were having probs with the switch on this. i'm so sorry to hear it.

Guess QC just isn't there for these things. i've not had switch probs with mine yet. Even stuck a .4ohm build dripper on it. Switch has stayed cool without sparking so far.

i looked around and this Gnome has a very similar switch, and people have problems with it also. The annoyance i do have with this switch is that the switch contact unscrews itself a lot.

Since i got the hybrid caps for my Nemmy i've found it hits harder than this mod. Have attributed that to the 510 pin on this thing, but i read here that the switch is also a factor?