shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Coil build for single coil question
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/5/2014 4:03:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
juicefreak
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 130
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos30
Coil build for single coil question
Got mine today and everything lines up correctly. I wonder if this is a genuine Youde, because FT knockoffs usually come in a plain jane box. My box was like the one posted in the other pics thread. Bottom of the atty is stamped "Designed in the USA (?) by UD IGO-M", not plain no markings like the FT pic.

Rolled a .8 ohm single coil, stuffed with cotton, and opened up the 3 air holes. Nice flavor and vapor, but there is a delay when i fire it up. I think it's my coil roll, or it possibly has to break in? I did pulse it and use tweezers to dry burn the coil.

I've never rolled 24g before and this is my first sub-ohm coil, so it could very well be my lack of experience. Next time i will try dual coils. My only experience with diy coils has been on my Phoenix's for a few years.

Pics (I apologize for the pic quality) :

On my Sig20w. I think i need to try it on my mech to see how it fires on that

Holes in posts and block are lined up correctly. lol images appear larger than actual life ;-) When i first opened it up I was like holy crap those holes are tinier than my old Phoenix post holes, but 24g kanthal fits just fine. I needed my reading glasses ;-) I'm not used to thicker wire, so i had to pull them through to reposition the coil with hemostats. When done I cut the tails with toe nail clippers. my mini swiss army scissors weren't up to the task of cutting 24g.

Really not quite sure what i am doing, because as I said I'm used to Phoenix drippers, where i feed the wire underhanded to those posts. Had trouble doing it overhanded to the center block.

Cotton bed on both sides of the block (afraid it would leak otherwise) for a single coil build. Not sure if this makes a difference or not on the slow fire. I would say not, because it did the same thing with no cotton.

I don't know that I would buy a spare of these. Not because of poor quality by any means, but rather I've never done dual coils and I think this is well suited for that. I'll see how it works out with diff builds to be sure it will work for me. I've been wanting an Origen dripper because of the large juice wells, so I may try one of those. I still have about 6 phoenix drippers which have served me very well for years.
#2 (permalink)      5/5/2014 5:43:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
The4thpower3
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 536
  • Reviews 125
  • Kudos1244
What kinda of batteries you got? Slap another coil on that to get it rockin. Man up. lol.
You're coils look good. Just put one on the other side.

Edit: I didn't pay attention to the Sigelei Legend. 20 watts ain't enough.
You need to switch to your mech.

Anything with "Style" in the name (on FT) of the product means it's NOT original.

Edited on 5/5/2014 at 5:55 PM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      5/6/2014 11:45:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
juicefreak
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 130
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos30
thank you. i figured all of FT's stuff was knockoff unless stated authentic. i know it's a crap shoot, but i was pleasantly surprised. i think Youde discontinued the M's because of lack of interest so maybe they are selling their stock here to move it.

yes, i figured out that it would take a mech after using this link from ECF http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

I have Sony 30 amp vtc somethings (green) and MNKE high amp batteries.
#4 (permalink)      5/8/2014 11:11:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
keith.t
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 1807
  • Reviews 109
  • Kudos4143
juicefreak Your coils look fine, as good as mine. Once you go to sub ohm you will love it. If you aim for about 0.7 -0.8 ohms for your first dual you will get good flavour & vapour production, put that on your mech mod & dont look back lol. Get yourself one of these if you don't have one already. Good luck & vape on :) SKU 1519800

Edited on 5/8/2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      5/10/2014 9:51:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
juicefreak
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 130
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos30
thank you keith. i'm going to try again with the 24g on my next coil build. One of my screws is stripped (was too tight from factory) so i'll try one of the spares. The screws loosen up and change the ohms on my build, so i need to get them super tight. I like .7-.8 like you said, because i can run them on my Sig20. still not keen on mechs, but i did find out that the battery performance only lasts about an hour for sub-ohm'g, so I'll have to start with a fresh one on my mech to be sure.
#6 (permalink)      5/10/2014 9:58:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
juicefreak
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 130
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos30
ps- i do have an ohm checker on my old young june and also my sig20W. i prefer checking them on the YJ because i don't have to hit the fire button to check them. my brain is too foggy to leave the ohms to guesswork lol
#7 (permalink)      5/10/2014 10:18:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
keith.t
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 1807
  • Reviews 109
  • Kudos4143
juicefreak yeah don't do guesswork. don't make the screws too tight. i had the head break off one, I learned from that. .7 to 1.0 ohm is usually nice flavour, your coils look fine so just make sure you check visually & with a meter for shorts. Good luck :)