shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

I did this to my Brass Nemmie today....
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      3/3/2014 7:23:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
LOL! Jeggedda! What an artful way to say, " Never mind, nah, not for me." :D

Thanks, Dirty Dog! Actually, I couldn't tell ya if the logo could ever still be revealed again , even IF you took it back to brass. But these patinas use ammonia and or salt and vinegar so, being caustic and acidic, I would venture to say that the logo would be "Bye-bye". And, I actually did treat them while screwed tightly together so, it is odd that in a certain place there is no definite line of demarcation but, the patina does look different right above the seam. That isn't necessarily characteristic of the patina-ed mods I've seen though. Thanks for the interest! Join FB "Patina Mods" any of you that want guidance or to show yours off or share your knowledge :D

Edited on 3/3/2014 at 7:24 PM. Reason:
"Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!”
#32 (permalink)      3/3/2014 7:38:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jeggedda
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 5219
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos5983
Vixen...NOT AT ALL! I never would have even thought about being able to do that! But now that you have one..I can't copy it..it would not be an original!
I think it looks cool as hell! I would like to do mine in red and green like that to give it a walking dead zombie kinda look!
" The next time you have a thought... let it go. " - Ron White
#33 (permalink)      3/3/2014 8:02:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
Oh Jeggeda, ok, got ya! I didn't take any offense, either way ;)
But, a bunch of us are doing it :D You wouldn't be infringing in any way, anyway. That's what our group is for, to share the results and process we used to get there ;) But, I'm sure that there is a way to get somewhere near what you are trying to do. This is only one sample of the amazing results that we are getting. There is one posted in the group on a copper nemmie that is AMAZING and its Green and reddish. You REALLY ought to join JUST to see that one! I feel that I would need to get individual permissions to post those pics here, ya know?

Edited on 3/3/2014 at 8:03 PM. Reason:
"Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!”
#34 (permalink)      3/3/2014 10:04:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26016
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos49910
For some reason at first I thought you had sponge painted it. Definitely a unique finish to those looking for something different.

Good Job =D
http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#35 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:05:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
whiteroller
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 609
  • Reviews 32
  • Kudos302
Anywhere else that I could check this out besides FB as im dammed if im setting an fb account. Like the work Vapevixen.
#36 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:06:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
+1 details
Thank you Viking! Some do use a sponge wrapping method.I didn't but, I get what you mean, with paint. It does have that similar mottled look , the way mine turned out. ;)
#37 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:13:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26016
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos49910
Kinda looks like some faux painting I have done. Didn't know you could do metals with simple chemicals though (to get that affect). I may use this idea/method on some other projects that are SS ,copper or brass (not necessarily my mods ).

Edit: Just reread this thread. Can it be done on SS to or other metals ?

I learn something new everyday. TY ;)

Edited on 3/3/2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason:
http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#38 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:31:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
+1 details
Yes, me too, hopefully! Lol! A friend of mine even used mustard and even steak sauce! They both have salt and vinegar... why not? She got good results! Lol!

Heres a couple of reference pages that I found while researching that may be of some use to you ;)

http://blog.yourstruli.com/2008/06/giving-brass-that-aged-look.html
#39 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:32:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
+1 details
http://steampunkjewelrybydreamsteam.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-age-brass.html

Actually, no, not to SS. "Metal Etching" is about the only thing that I know for SS.

Edited on 3/3/2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason:
#40 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:43:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
WhiteRoller , here's a general explanation of what I did. I copy/pasted it from my post in the group... " so you clean your brass, VERY well to remove all residues, clean it with dish liquid. I sanded mine then with fine sandpaper only lightly. I Cleaned with dish liquid again. I covered my threads and the inside of my tube with Mentholatum/Vaseline to keep the inside protected from the chemical process. Then you roll your mod on a vinegar soaked paper towel in a dish then immediately in salt to encrust it. Suspend the tube with kanthal in a jar or bowl, or Tupperware, COVERED. I have a pic above of mine suspended in a bowl. I left the salt and vinegar on for about 16 hours. THEN for another 8 hours, I left it hanging in that bowl with about an inch of Ammonia in the bottom of the bowl and recovered it. After 8 hrs, used a blow dryer to dry it . Then rinsed it all off. with lots of water. Then use an acrylic spray lacquer or car wax to seal it"
#41 (permalink)      3/3/2014 11:47:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
+1 details
You can also instead of suspending the tube over ammonia, wrap it after you have encrusted it with a ammonia soaked rag .Then remove it after about 4 hrs , air dry it. Then rinse with lots of water.