shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING
50-pack

Burn/metal taste solution
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/12/2014 1:54:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
truanks
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
+1 details
Burn/metal taste solution
Hey guys, i tried to fix my evod coils exactly as shown in this video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hdl7glHoHkU
but it still has a strange burn/metal taste to it. I would like you guys to help me solve this problem. What should I do?
Thanks
#2 (permalink)      3/12/2014 2:25:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26871
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51312
+3 details
The problem is they are burning the rubber grommet on the EVOD as the legs get hot and melt the rubber probably making the metal taste to (to hot).

I use them but in my Vivi nova SKU 1353401 top coil and they work fine as is nothing done to them. But then again they work better on top coil atomizers. I have tried them both ways cleaning and uncleaned and taste fine in my top coils.

For EVOD and PROTANK bottom coils you should use SKU 1593911 NR-R-NR (different ohms in drop down menu). The Non resistive legs will not heat up and melt the grommet in base of coil which is giving you the burnt/metal taste.

Edited on 3/12/2014 at 2:28 PM. Reason:
http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#3 (permalink)      3/12/2014 6:04:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapingmel
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 4707
  • Reviews 899
  • Kudos5458
+2 details
Thank you for posting this ? :)

Thank you Viking that is really handy to know as I have both, so now know which way to use them best :)

Edited on 3/12/2014 at 6:05 PM. Reason:
No 'Avatar' as i'm using my mobile phone
#4 (permalink)      3/12/2014 11:43:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
truanks
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
I actually just received a new closed pack(5) resistance of button coil 1.8 and it still continues with the same taste.
It's not the battery nore the voltage. I believe it's the material used( nicrome or silica ).
I've seen other complaints here with the same problem. Which btw the new coil from viva are having the same problem.
What do you guys think?
#5 (permalink)      3/13/2014 12:08:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26871
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51312
+2 details
I Still think its the rubber burning as the legs are not non resistive. I think others are complaining as they didn't know it burns the rubber grommet.

Look at you rubber grommet and you should see it has burnt/melted them a bit giving you bad taste. This was pointed out to me by a member here a few months back so I switched coils to nr/r/nr and no more burnt taste.

That's why I use nr/r/nr like SKU 1593911 on evod/protank heads as the legs don't get hot.

I have no problem using the Goonks on my vivi nova at all just if I use in a protank or evod.

Not sure about the new Vivi heads as I recoil everything I own.

The only problem I have with the Goonk is that they don't last long (maybe 2 weeks) compared to other premade coils which I can get about a month or so. Goonks silica just falls apart after few cleanings makin them unusable even though coil is still good.

They do however get fairly good reviews from others at 4.6 stars

Goonk reviews

Before you rebuild try boiling the atomizer parts (all of them) or soak them in 99% isopropyl alcohol and then boil to get rid of any taste left on heads then try and rebuild them. This may also help.

Otherwise I don't know what to tell you as I have no problems with them.

Good luck hope you figure it out.;)
#6 (permalink)      3/13/2014 12:10:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26871
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51312
+1 details

I actually just received a new closed pack(5) resistance of button coil 1.8 and it still continues with the same taste.

Which ones did you receive sku number please if bought from here?

#7 (permalink)      3/13/2014 5:59:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapingmel
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 4707
  • Reviews 899
  • Kudos5458
+1 details
I've used the Goonks on my Evod's without getting the burnt taste, but I do clean them first

Lay them all out flat in a old baking tray pour boiling water over them, leave overnight drain, then repeat once or twice more (I usually smell them, if their is a slight odour I repeat untill completly gone) I then lay them out on paper towel in the sun to dry
You can use Vodka or 99% Isopropyl, they may only need soaking once

I've also found with Evod, when you screw the coil on don't over tighten, it's the same with screwing onto the battery not to tight, if burnt taste try loosening ever so slightly

Good luck the Evod's are very good :)

Edited on 3/13/2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      3/13/2014 6:04:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapingmel
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 4707
  • Reviews 899
  • Kudos5458
+2 details
Oh failing all that you could buy some wire and use cotton, you-tube can really help :)
#9 (permalink)      3/13/2014 9:43:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
truanks
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
+1 details
I must wash only wire and silica before mounting the button, or i can wash the entire button already assembled (without rubber) ?
I've been searching the internet and I believe the bad taste is from silica (new silica).
thanks for support guys.
i'm very appreciate.

sorry about the bad inglish (my girlfriend is not here) rsrs

viking, the coils is here evod coil
#10 (permalink)      3/13/2014 9:44:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
truanks
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
+1 details
I must wash only wire and silica before mounting the button, or i can wash the entire button already assembled (without rubber) ?
I've been searching the internet and I believe the bad taste is from silica (new silica).
thanks for support guys.
i'm very appreciate.

sorry about the bad inglish (my girlfriend is not here) rsrs

viking, the coils is here evod coil
#11 (permalink)      3/13/2014 10:28:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26871
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51312
+2 details
@truanks

You should be able to just wash the wire and silica before installing as vapingmel has mentioned by pouring boiling water over them in a pan or a bowl. Don't boil them on in a pot with flame/fire on.

I usually just rinse the whole whole button/atomizer head as you call it including the rubber in the sink with hot water.

But if you are still getting burnt taste soak the whole button/atomizer head including the rubber grommet in 99% isopropyl alcohol or Vodka is even better as vapingmel has pointed out then soak in boiling water as mentioned above for a little while and swish around to make sure all alcohol is off.

This may help get rid of the burnt taste if the rubber was burnt or and bad taste was still on button/atomizer head.

Hope this translates OK for you or your Girlfriend can translate for you later.;)

Just ask if you have anymore questions ;)

@vapingmel

Good info and thanks for adding to this thread I always forget about the Vodka and usually suggest Everclear which is pure grain alocohol or PGA (what I usually use) if you can get it but that is not easy to attain in some countries as it is in the US. So I just say 99% isopropyl alcohol as it is easy to attain and most have it available at home. Vodka or Everclear is best though as it is definately food grade.

To all people reading this:

Never use cheap low % isopropyl alcohol only use 99% isopropyl alcohol as it has less impurities. If you have access use High proof Vodka or Everclear use that instead as it is much more preferable as they are food grade and safer for vaping.

Vodka and Everclear can also be added to juices to add more throat hit to in small amounts. But read up on this before you try it. ;)

Edited on 3/13/2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: