shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Loose negative posts.
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/9/2014 4:38:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Fishdude
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 17
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1
Loose negative posts.
I have loose neg posts on these, so loose that when I tighten the hex screw it twists the coil all to hell or just pops out. Has anyone developed a workaround for this? I'm thinking of putting a turn of NR wire around the post and just jamming it in there. Is there a better way? I really want to rip this thing in dual coil mode!

Thanks!
#2 (permalink)      4/14/2014 4:07:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Makitius
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 24
  • Reviews 43
  • Kudos4
I just received mine and have the same problem. Both negative posts are loose. They are a weak press fit and can be pulled out with your fingers. They should have been brazed in but I can't do it myself because the heat would melt the positive insulator (that post is very firmly fixed).
#3 (permalink)      4/14/2014 4:13:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Fishdude
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 17
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1
The NR wire trick didn't work for me, I couldn't get the post to push in with a wrap of wire around it. Wondering if plumbers tape would work? It should, as long as the bottom of the post touches the deck.
#4 (permalink)      4/14/2014 6:59:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Makitius
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 24
  • Reviews 43
  • Kudos4
Maybe try tinning the the posts with solder then jam them in?
#5 (permalink)      4/14/2014 7:33:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PinoyBoy
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 1966
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos2462
Some of my V5/nimbus clones with that problem aren't inserted into the base itself. I don't have pictures, but this is pretty much how it looks like:

Soldering them in place might be your best option.
https://www.fasttech.com/category/1/new-products
#6 (permalink)      4/15/2014 7:51:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Makitius
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 24
  • Reviews 43
  • Kudos4
My negative posts are pressed into shallow blind holes in the deck. They only stay put (if they do) because their lower ends have first been hammered out of round. Soldering them will be difficult since you can't get the deck hot enough for the solder to flow without melting the positive insulator. You would have to use a tool to press out the positive post and insulator first. If anyone does this, please use silver solder, since regular solder contains quite a large proportion of lead.
#7 (permalink)      4/15/2014 8:00:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Makitius
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 24
  • Reviews 43
  • Kudos4
Note to Fishdude - if you don't want to try tinning the base of the posts, try passing your wire lengthwise down one side of the post, under the lower tip then back up the other side and hold it like that while you tap it into the hole with a small hammer. That way the wire can't escape. Try thin wire like 32 gauge Kanthal if you have some.
#8 (permalink)      4/15/2014 10:29:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Fishdude
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 17
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1
Good idea Makitius, I will try the vertical wire application, and if that doesn't work ill be pounding them out of round. Square peg, round hole :)
#9 (permalink)      4/16/2014 11:55:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Fishdude
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 17
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1
I got the neg post back in place, held a piece of 32 g nickel wire vertically under the pin as I pressed it in. The wire broke right where the neg post goes into the base, but the small piece below the post was enough to snug it up. It was a bit fiddly getting the wire to stay under the pin, it took a few tries, but once I got it started I tapped it in with a hammer. Not sure how durable this fix will be, but for now it's rockin dual microcoils at 1.2 ohm. :)
#10 (permalink)      4/25/2014 6:52:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Makitius
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 24
  • Reviews 43
  • Kudos4
I ended up using Fishdude's idea of pounding the base of the post even more out of round and then tapping the post back in the hole. The post is now set somewhat firmly but I still get the occasional misfire. I may strip the whole deck and solder the 2 negative posts if I can muster the energy. I suppose we can't expect miracles for $5.
#11 (permalink)      4/25/2014 11:11:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Fishdude
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 17
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos1
It was your idea to pound the peg out of round, so I can't take credit :) I actually didn't have to change to shape of the post after I got the NR wire jammed in there.