shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

POM = Delrin
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      9/6/2013 3:42:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MotoBlue
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 4805
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos4721
+10 details
POM = Delrin
Wikipedia says:
Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon and Hostaform.
Over a thousand squonk products available at Fasttech
#2 (permalink)      4/1/2014 11:39:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
azndrifter
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 176
  • Reviews 107
  • Kudos75
+6 details
I approve this message. I love the intellectual post when you can actually get to learn something useful. Kudos!!
#3 (permalink)      5/11/2014 12:34:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mcgrunt
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 20
  • Reviews 49
  • Kudos8
Thanks for the info. I've already ordered both this and the white version. For others - delrin/acetal/POM is insanely tough stuff and makes great drip tips since it's hard enough to not be marked by a bit of casual biting.
#4 (permalink)      4/5/2015 10:45:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pauly2
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 25
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos7
MotoBlue wrote:
[quote]Wikipedia says:Polyoxymethylene (POM), also known as acetal,[1] polyacetal and polyformaldehyde, is an engineering thermoplastic used in precision parts requiring high stiffness, low friction and excellent dimensional stability. As with many other synthetic polymers, it is produced by different chemical firms with slightly different formulas and sold variously by such names as Delrin, Celcon and Hostaform.[/quote]

I didn't like the sounds of "polyformaldehyde" so I looked it up... I wish, for once, that I could look something up that is commonly used for vaping gear that isn't bad news...

Paraformaldehyde can be depolymerized to formaldehyde gas by dry heating[1] and to form a formaldehyde solution by water in the presence of a base or heat.
Toxicity
As a formaldehyde releasing agent, paraformaldehyde is a suspected carcinogen.[citation needed] Its acute oral median lethal dose in rats is 592 mg/kg.[citation needed]
#5 (permalink)      6/21/2015 12:12:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
dvdrwsor
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos24
+1 details
Delrin is POLYformaldehyde, and you are talking about PARAformaldehyde. And why don't they say the approximate temperature where formaldehyde gas is forming, which I guess is beyond 200 degrees Celsius, far from the temperature that our drip tip is "feeling".