shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Beware!!!! Not a Kanger product
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      11/24/2013 8:47:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
p_opus
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos1
Beware!!!! Not a Kanger product
This is not an authentic Kanger product. Since I ordered from them they have removed the Kanger logos from the pictures and removed Kanger as the manufacturer. However even though the packaging they send has Kangertech branding all over them.

I had two crack within a month. Buy at your own risk.
#2 (permalink)      11/24/2013 9:04:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bibi2013
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 3375
  • Reviews 100
  • Kudos2591
i find it irritating that it now says "authentic protank" in the article description... whats this supposed to mean ?
Edited on 13/32/2013 at 13:61 PM. Reason: yes
#3 (permalink)      11/24/2013 10:16:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 31526
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos62296
@p_opus

And how many times did you drop your glass protank???

All glass tanks will crack overtime/instantly if mishandled or dropped constantly. Even top of the line will break if dropped.

From your review:

"The problem I realized is that I was screwing the tank onto the base too hard which would expand the silicon cap on the vaporizer post to the point that it would prevent liquid from getting to the wick. "

Sounds like by your review you overtightened tank on top of it.

Also said was on nightstand and just cracked??? Are you sure it wasn't standing up and fell over and cracked? Or was it overtightened again maybe?
https://i.imgur.com/OSS6yni.jpg
#4 (permalink)      11/24/2013 11:08:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
p_opus
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos1
The first one cracked while sitting on its side on my night stand.

The second one I treated like it was made of eggshells and it developed a crack while in use. The second one was never "over tightened" as I mentioned in the review you quoted.

Don't get me wrong, Fasttech support has been great. I even purchased a third Mini Protank after Fasttech replaced the first one. I just rail against the use of the term "authentic" in the description and the Kangertech branding that appears on the box, the internal documentation and the unit itself.

My theory is that these units do not use actual Pyrex glass. A BCC such as this heats unevenly by its design. The bottom warms up while the top stays at room temperature. Pyrex glass is a low expansion glass that does not expand when heated, making them ideal for applications where they may be exposed to temperature extremes. This is why real Pyrex glass is so important on these devices.

I would clean my second tank using hot tap water to rinse out the tank and clean the heads. My theory is that the glass developed stress fractures as it was heated and cooled. Since these units have their glass "glued" to the metal, the glass has nowhere to expand and thus develops stress fractures.

Perhaps the Fasttech version of the Mini Protank 2 would last longer since it's glass is sealed by o-rings, thus allowing for better expansion and contraction. Also you can completely remove the glass so that when you clean it, you won't stress the glass.

It's fairly evident that the Fasttech version is not using authentic pyrex glass and due to the importance of this material in a glued tank, I won't be ordering this particular SKU from Fasttech anymore.
#5 (permalink)      11/24/2013 11:23:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bibi2013
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 3375
  • Reviews 100
  • Kudos2591
i think pyrex glas doesnt mean it wont break and the version in a ecig-tank is certainly less thick than we know it from the oven pots...

pyrex glas does expand only very little, compared to regular glass...

i think, when it breaks it doesnt mean it wasnt pyrex glas...
though, there are certainly quality differences possible within pyrex production..?
perhaps one can say if it breaks after 6 weeks use, then a normal glas had broken after 2 alredy...?

but havent found anything, how to test that...

Edited on 11/24/2013 at 11:25 PM. Reason:
Edited on 13/32/2013 at 13:61 PM. Reason: yes
#6 (permalink)      11/24/2013 11:25:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Panga
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 822
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos903
Did it have the shiny silver sticker on the box?
Get the Sentient Vape podcast at www.soundcloud.com/sentientvape
#7 (permalink)      11/24/2013 11:35:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
p_opus
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos1
+1 details
And just so people don't think I'm making up this stuff, I compared the Fasttech version of the tank to a Mini Protank I received from an authorized reseller. I had complained to an authorized reseller about Kanger quality after the first one from Fasttech broke and he gave me the remaining two he had in stock as a "comp" for ordering a Mini Protank 2 from him to try. He had discontinued selling the original Mini Protank so they were just sitting around his store.

I compared the units I received to the one remaining unbroken Fasttech version I had.

The "Fasttech" box does not have an Invention Patent label on the back. Also the "Fasttech" box tells the user to fill it to 1.0 to 3.5ml instead of the proper 1.0 to 1.5ml listed on the box from the authorized reseller.

On the instruction cards, both cards clearly display the Kangertech label, but the "Fasttech" version does not number the photos like the one I received from the authorized reseller.

Comparing the tanks themselves, the "Fasttech" version of the tank is slightly shorter and has less glass exposed. The glass portion is taller in the one I received from the authorized reseller. Also the Kangertech branding on the "Fasttech" version is not as pronounced as the one on the tank I received from the authorized reseller.
#8 (permalink)      11/24/2013 11:49:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
p_opus
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos1
@bibi2013

It's probably impossible short of doing a chemical analysis of each to determine if the fasttech versions use authentic pyrex glass. And on the Mini Protank 2, I imagine this is a much less of an issue. A Mini Protank 2 is sealed with o-rings so there is more "play" to allow for thermal expansion of the glass. Also, you can completely disassemble the Mini Protank 2, you can remove the glass completely. This would allow you to clean the tank with hot water and not worry about thermal expansion of the glass.

I was cleaning my "fasttech" version in hot tap water. Since it is glued to the metal of the tank itself, It is an extremely tight fit. Thus if the glass did expand, I can imagine it undergoing additional stress.

This is merely a theory. However, if I were to purchase any additional Protank Mini's from Fasttech, it would definitely be the Mini Protank 2, the one with the removable glass.
#9 (permalink)      1/13/2014 10:54:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blueburner
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 3
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos0
I'm not sure if this is relevant to this discussion, but you were discussing heat as it relates to this tank. I notice that the metal tip is always cold. Whenever I draw from it--either repeatedly or after an hour of un-use, the tip is cold like it's been left outside in the winter.
#10 (permalink)      1/13/2014 11:09:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
NsaneJain
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 1429
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos922
Possible that ft was sold those as authentic kanger by a source and believed they were. Then someone probably complained, and ft changed the description. Sometimes happens buying in China, and some sellers wouldn't even have taken the product description down a notch. Sorry to hear of your troubles though. I hope you found something that worked out for you eventually.
#11 (permalink)      4/27/2014 2:58:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
thill1951
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 5941
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos2677
FT has an agreement with Kangar to remove any labels and link to Kangar, as required by Kangar , since FT sells them cheaper than most other retailers..Geek has explained this many times regarding "Authentic " made products..

Edited on 4/27/2014 at 3:05 PM. Reason:
US Military 30 years, Retired Lt Colonel.. Live to Ride, Ride to Live..Love my Harleys and Indians..