shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

2/3 A size 1.2 V, 1600 mAh rechargeable NiMH batteries?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      12/18/2013 5:20:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ChewBakker
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
2/3 A size 1.2 V, 1600 mAh rechargeable NiMH batteries?
2/3 A size 1.2 V, 1600 mAh rechargeable NiMH batteries are 17mm in diameter and 28mm long. Three of them stacked would be 84mm long and produce 3.6 volts. Would I be right to assume I could use these batteries in this mod since the max supported battery length is 105.8mm. Would the tubes adjust to snuggly fit the batteries? Do you think this type of battery would work well for vaping? I would rather not use lithium ion batteries. I am relatively new to vaping.
#2 (permalink)      12/18/2013 6:35:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26518
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos50648
You can if you want the mod to explode in your face and it might with rechargeable NiMH batteries. I'm not sure the NiMH could handle the load/amps. I may be wrong though but I wouldn't try it.

Best to use safer chemical IMR or a protected battery.

Try looking here under batteries category:

Beginners & Beyond topics

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 6:49 PM. Reason:
http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#3 (permalink)      12/18/2013 6:41:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
th3drag0n1
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 103
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos54
+2 details
There's more to a battery than just volts. If you want quicker results stick a m80 in your mouth and light it, you may realize it wasn't a good idea. There's items you can be cheap on but buy the best quality battery money can buy. Look into something in the variable voltage/wattage mods, your not ready for a mechanical mod.
#4 (permalink)      12/18/2013 6:45:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
PinoyBoy
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 1966
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos2462
+1 details
I remember reading old archives of DIY box mods using multiple NiMH. The thing is, those guys are using some sort of protection.

Like what the above two stated: DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON BATTERIES! That is, unless you want to be on the 6'oclock news and become a statistic for BT and BP to use against us vapers.
https://www.fasttech.com/category/1/new-products
#5 (permalink)      12/18/2013 7:10:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26518
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos50648
Have to agree with th3drag0n1:
"Look into something in the variable voltage/wattage mods, your not ready for a mechanical mod."

Also with PinoyBoy:
"DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON BATTERIES!"

Here you might want to read this to as this is what happens when not using recommended batteries in mech mods:

Orginal link to article below (click here)

Via Stevevape.com

Before I go any further with this news item, this is NOT about the Florida e-cigarette explosion. This is about an incident that occurred shortly before that incident and it happened in Colorado.

According to the Courthouse News Service, a main filed a lawsuit in a Colorado court against Puresmoker. The suit claims the company’s Prodigy v. 3.1 e-cigarette device exploded spewing acid on the plaintiff. Now, here’s what is probably the most relevant part to the community.

Radio Shack Enercell batteries Hahn says he “purchased a Prodigy V3.1 electronic cigarette device from Pure Enterprises’ online store, at the website address of puresmoker.com.”

After buying the proper batteries from a (nonparty) RadioShack the next day, “Phillip Hahn was using the Prodigy energized by the Enercell batteries at his residence when the Enercell batteries inside the Prodigy suddenly and unexpectedly exploded,” the complaint states.

Clearly, this individual was using two 3.0v batteries in a stacked configuration in his Prodigy. The article, and presumably court documents indicate this was an Enercell branded battery carried by Radio Shack. I did a quick search over at RadioShack.com for Enercell 3.0v CR123A batteries. None of the batteries I found were protected or safe chemistry

Like most vendors Puresmoker has moved away from stacked batteries, so I don’t believe their current website has safety information specific to stacking. However, I’m pretty sure they did at the time, since any vendor in their right mind always stressed proper battery safety to avoid exactly this scenario.

This obviously differs from the Florida e-cigarette explosion case since we know more details this time. So, unless I am wrong about Radio Shack not carrying protected or IMR batteries under their house brand, I think this one really is a clear cut example of a consumer not following the guidelines from the vendor with tragic results.

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 7:19 PM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      12/18/2013 7:24:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ChewBakker
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
+1 details
"I'm not sure the NiMH could handle the load/amps."
http://www.batteryspace.com/NiMH-Rechargeable-Cell-2/3A-1600-mAh-NiMH-Battery-1PC---RoHS-Compliant.aspx
"As high as 10 C discharge Rate."
http://www.all-battery.com/tenergy23a1600mah_nimhbattery_10710.aspx
"High capacity (1600 mAh) and high discharge rate (9C-12C)"
Does a 10 C discharge rate mean the rate is 10 X 1.6A = 10.6A? If that's what it means, then that seems comparable to a 18650 lithium ion battery.

"If you want quicker results stick a m80 in your mouth and light it, you may realize it wasn't a good idea."
The reason I would rather use NiMH instead of lithium ion is that NiMH are safer.

" Look into something in the variable voltage/wattage mods, your not ready for a mechanical mod."
Look into something called civility and courtesy. You're not ready for supplying helpful information.

"DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON BATTERIES!"
The reason I would rather use NiMH is not because they are cheaper. It is because they are safer. Much safer than lithium ion.
#7 (permalink)      12/18/2013 7:34:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ChewBakker
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
I feel like I have just stepped into the Twilight Zone, or into the movie Idiocracy. I had assumed peeps in this forum would know the relative safety of NiMH vs. Li-Ion.
#8 (permalink)      12/18/2013 9:05:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ChewBakker
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
I wish somebody would have corrected my math.
10 X 1.6 = 16, not 10.6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 9:11 PM. Reason:
#9 (permalink)      12/18/2013 9:37:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26518
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos50648
As far as I know AMP LIMITS DO NOT STACK when stacking cells. So you have an amp limit of 1 single cell for the whole stack.

So still 1.6 amps

Even if the amps did stack you can only stack 3 @ 1.6 = 4.8 And you state 16 amps for 10(your not using all 10).

Math is still a little off ;)

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 9:52 PM. Reason:
#10 (permalink)      12/18/2013 9:51:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ChewBakker
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 12
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
I was calculating the amp limit (max discharge rate) of a single cell, which is listed as 10 C.
1 C = 1600 mA, or 1.6A
So, 10 C = 16A

viking65,
Do you own one of these mods?

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 9:54 PM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      12/18/2013 9:57:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
NsaneJain
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 1429
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos921
No those batteries are not safe. But, you are not going to listen so whatever. I would definitely suggest you stick to vv vw. I truely hope you are just trolling, and wouldn't ever consider using that chemistry of battery even in a vv vw.