shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Leaking from 510 connection
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/26/2014 12:03:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
briguy82
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Leaking from 510 connection
So this is my 5th tank refill or so on my Ithaka. Today I noticed my mouth peace was starting to cross thread. So I carefully removed it, and was able to tighten it down normally on the threads. However for some reason, when I re fill and close everything up I have a serious leak from the center pin.

I've tried leaving the very top cap portion open while I open juice control to release any built up pressure, and I've made sure the positive pin o-ring is nice and snug in the center pin hole. It fills up fine, but as soon as I put that last cap on it just dumps the tank! I haven't has this happen to me since I got this atty a couple weeks ago.

I should mention I've been using 1.5mm cotton fused silica up until just before this happened. When I rebuilt my coil tonight, I went with a 2mm cotton yarn. Any correlation when using the thicker wick? Please help, I love this atty! It has the best flavor and sends out smoke signals!
#2 (permalink)      1/26/2014 3:45:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MalkavNO
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 221
  • Reviews 148
  • Kudos116
Do you have the automated wicking channels aligned with your wicks? That can cause flooding if you close the top up too fast. Remember cotton wicks better than silica, so juice travels faster in pure cotton wicks in bottom coiled atomizers. Also have the juice control completely shut when closing the top cap after filling. If you do not it will force the juice into the wick channels and flood because of the pressure you create.

Edited on 1/26/2014 at 3:47 AM. Reason: spelling bork bork
#3 (permalink)      1/26/2014 9:27:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
briguy82
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
@ Malkavno,
Thanks man for the tips. For some reason I always figured keeping the juice control open while screwing on the top cap would prevent any pressure. Maybe because this is the jest time I've had this bad of a leak. Now when you say automated wicking channels, do you mean the juice return sleeve inside the cup? It is open now..

I just know that when I leave the juice control closed when tightening the top, I get bad gurgling. However when I started leaving juice control open, the flood went away until this past refill. I let the atty sit overnight and it's back to normal now. Lol soooo weird!
#4 (permalink)      1/26/2014 6:45:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jargon
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
You mentioned that your mouthpiece started cross threading right? Mine has a very loose threading to the rebuildable part and it is almost sure to crossthread while in use. Unfortunately, I had no chance to try it yet since my center pin was broken and waiting for replacement but I just noticed this VERY loose wobbly thread part and now I am almost sure there is going to be a problem.

Honestly, I wonder why it has not come up as an issue by others since it is an issue as I read eslewhere for this specific clone.

Honestly, I just hope it just works at least 1 time so I can confirm whether I like it and then I am getting a Hercules clone from Germany which is 100% sure it is working properly and perfectly. I have had enough with waiting months.
#5 (permalink)      1/26/2014 7:12:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
briguy82
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Jargon,
Yes I agree man.. They should do something to correct this issue. I just tried refilling with the juice control closed. I had the same result, and actually got a mouth full of juice. This atty was running soooo nice! I'm so bummed out, and hope it's user error.

I was able to get GREAT results leaving the juice control open when tightening the top cap. Now I get an empty tank no matter how I do it!
#6 (permalink)      1/27/2014 9:42:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jargon
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
Probably some of the threads "crapped out" so liquid finds its way where it shouldn't! Check them closely to see any marks or something.

I guess it might be our batch or something like that. The worst part is that wee need to return it and you know what this means time wise! GOD!

Edited on 1/27/2014 at 9:43 AM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      1/27/2014 12:21:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
briguy82
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Jargon,
Yes I know what that would mean. That's why I refuse to send it in... Where are you gettin your Herc from? I've seen a few sites that are selling them, but I'm seeing some clones of the clone from RH.
#8 (permalink)      1/27/2014 3:33:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jargon
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
Well it is from the German shop (vaporfreak) that are the makers of it but if your are in the US it might be a bit more expensive with shipping and possibly customs. They also have parts and a Kayfun conversion kit (really!) that it turns it into a Kayfun 3.1 + the liquid control. However, since it is a 1:1 clone it can also accept original parts and you could possibly buy the GG update that can be built with simple wires (no NR-R-NR needed).

All in all though, we are talking 3 times the price of this one and/or more so it is another thing altogether. I just wanted to try if it suits first before I pay more for it and then I might even go for the original.
#9 (permalink)      1/27/2014 4:18:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jargon
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
I just checked and it seems all the Hercules are made by Rainbow Heaven anyway so maybe not be bothered searching.
#10 (permalink)      1/27/2014 6:41:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
briguy82
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 11
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Cool thanks for looking into that! I love this clone, and can't imagine how well the real Ithaka vapes. This atty out performs any genesis style anyday.
#11 (permalink)      1/28/2014 11:54:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jargon
  • JoinedFeb 2013
  • Posts 85
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos13
Well it might be worth it to get a real Ithaka sometime in the future I guess since honestly its quality and support (parts wise) is unmatched. They sell even the smallest bit as replacement if needed, updated rebuildable part for use with normal wires and the finish is excellent.

I don't think I have the patience to go through a replacement process with this one so I will get a Hercules which is 1:1 clone and see if the chimney fits or find which part causes the problem. Then I am going to get a replacement part locally and be done with it. Another user having both the Hercules and this clone had the same issue with loose threads and mentioned that interchanging the chimney with the one from Hercules solves the problem so I might get the chimney that accepts 510 drip tips for the Hercules and be done with it. Even the real GG chimney is not that expensive for me since I live in Greece and can get it locally with minimal shipping.