shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Great look, but poor smoking performance (need help)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      10/1/2013 4:47:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
tman_pl
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 25
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
Great look, but poor smoking performance (need help)
hello,

I just received the ithaka clone. The item looks superb, but my smoking performance is VERY poor.

As advised I disassembled the unit to the single screw and cleaned it carefully.

I did two new coils using new wick (3 single 1 mm wicks for each coil) and kanthal wire (0,12 mm I believe), mounted them and assembled everything together..

I am using Vamo. It shows 2.0 ohm. There is no leaking, but there is VERY little smoke.

I am using eternity (single coil and a lot of smoke) and innokin itaste-30 (dual coil, a lot of smoke). Ithaka disappointed me very much, but I REALLY hope I did something wrong.

Any advice?
#2 (permalink)      10/1/2013 5:04:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
YvesM
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 681
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos595
+3 details
The Ithaka need coils made from no resistance and resistance wire. Are you using only the resistance wire?
This video is this clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCEfVItuNg

This video show more about the rewicking and wires to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keWBdDVH8xc

Edited on 10/1/2013 at 5:27 AM. Reason: Adding information
#3 (permalink)      10/1/2013 12:27:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zombie55
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 760
  • Reviews 689
  • Kudos600
+3 details
YvesM is right you need no resistance wire joined to your kanthal it's got to be connected to both ends the kanthal wire in the middle

on this mod you want your kanthal wire to coil around the wick but as soon as the wire come's away from the silica coil it needs to be no resistance silver/n6 nickel wire the silver wire is more expensive I would recommend n6 nickel to start with

the only thing that's difficult about setting up this rba is joining the no resistance wire to the kanthal there are loads of video's on this but it's a pain you can get a tsaf welder which welds the connections or there are loads of info out there on how to build a tsaf welder BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO YOU AT THIS POINT

WHAT I WOULD RECOMMEND AND IT WILL MAKE THIS A BREEZE TO SETUP IS

search for No Resistence to Resistence Coil Wire Ready Made on google you can buy a premade wire at 2.2,2,1.8,1.5 ohms these cost around £3.25 for a pack of fifty they are excellent for the ithaka

also you really would be better off using 1 wick of 2.5mm-3mm silica instead of 3 1mm strands you can either wire it with 1 coil witch looks like a x at the coil where the 2 pieces of silica meet or dual coils just remember that dual reduces your ohms by half

the only other thing to do is make sure to check the positive end of your coil comes down the ceramic cup slot to the lower connection point & the negative coil tail goes down the steel slot to the higher connection point

also you will notice on the coil cup holder ring there are 2 slots these are called basic liquid control make sure your ceramic cup wick slots are in line with the 2 slots in the ring

to fill it up just remove the small cap at the top make sure the juice control i.e drip tip is fully screwed down so you cannot see the wicks put your eliquid in then screw on the small cap

remember to control how much eliquid the wicks see with the drip tip by screwing it down or up

it's a little bit to learn but trust me it's worth it as the ithaka is a seriously good vape I own 5 different ithaka clones and there all great they are as good as any of my high cost rba's for vapour production or throat hit

have fun & vape

Edited on 10/1/2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      10/2/2013 9:39:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Modmandan
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 50
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos12
What folks are forgetting to mention is the layout of your coils. when you receive your clone and look at the coils, you'll notice their layed out side by side. That's ok, but runnnig an X by criss-crossing them works SO MUCH better. It's all about placement over the air hole.

I had the same problem you did and was not happy. Then I watched a video and they ran and X type of coil and it greatly improved the vapor production.
#5 (permalink)      10/2/2013 11:03:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vestinious
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 105
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos29
Just watch this video and it will make a world of difference in building coils !
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTUtTCdA-m8][/url]
#6 (permalink)      10/2/2013 12:39:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zombie55
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 760
  • Reviews 689
  • Kudos600
+1 details
modmandan did not want to over complicate it with different wick coil types but I did tell him his wick should look like a x

I have 5 ithaka's and they all got different wick setups in them the x wick is great in single or dual coil (in dual core I add an extra wick between them)

in a dual core setup running at 0.7 ohms it is greedy on the eliquid but has amazing vapour

I have another one setup with a micro coil & cotton it took a while to get it setup right but It rocks now

I love the ithaka it's so much better than the oddy in my opinion I think that a ithaka clone + eh pro dtx or rh mkb-ts in hybred mode is hard to beat yes I would love a original GGTS but I promised myself no more highend for a while & there impossible to find

have fun & vape

Edited on 10/2/2013 at 4:07 PM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      10/2/2013 3:49:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bienf
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 194
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos41
ZOMbIe55 could you show that on pics please, thanks !!
#8 (permalink)      10/2/2013 4:04:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zombie55
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 760
  • Reviews 689
  • Kudos600
+1 details
what the microcoil setup ? it helps if your got a tsaf welder i built my own but you can do it by the old fashion twist wires together joint
you cannot use the premade wires as there no where near enough resistance wire on them

it will have to wait until Saturday when I got the day off work as i'm bissy until then

but Saturday i am totally free "hooray" so yes i will be happy to take some pics and talk(type) you though the problems i had before it all worked out

ok bienf ?

Edited on 10/2/2013 at 4:20 PM. Reason:
#9 (permalink)      10/2/2013 5:05:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bienf
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 194
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos41
Thank you Zombie !!
#10 (permalink)      10/3/2013 2:01:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
tman_pl
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 25
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
Thank you all for support..

OK - I bought some silver (non-res) 0,25 mm wire (guy at local ecig shop advised me to use this wire), as well as some kanthal 0,20 mm wire (res) and some 2 mm wick (dont know wjat material it is made of).

I did PLANTY of coils (at tge begining I hav 2 m of wick, now I have 20 cm left) using manual joining technique (twisting the wires). I tried different setups: with 2 coils crossing (X), pararell (||) and single coil made of 2 wicks (X) and even a single one.

It all didnt make me happy:( I must have been doing something wrong. As I said before I have a Vamo with option to check the resistance of attached coil. When I did setuop of 2 coils crossing (X) I checked each of the coils separetly: they were made of 4-4,5 cm of resistance wire made to form 7-8 "rings" over the wick making a resistance of something like 2,5 ohm (each). When I attached them to the ithaka Vamo showed resistance 1 ohm (first time) than 0,2 ohm (second) than 3,5 ohm (third), o,1, 1,1 - etc (different readings each time.

It is not a vamo problem (I believe) - when I attach different atomiser (eternity in that case) It shows costant, stable resistance of 2,4 ohm (I made the coil).

I did each coil using 2 pieces of silver ona one piece ot kanthal wire, twisting the end of kanthal one with silver one. I dont have a welder and dont have access to any pre-made wires/coils.

I havent watched the video yet, but I will surely do.. Just my observings.

I am determined to use my ithaka, I just need some help to set it up. In an hour or two I would visid the shop where they use (different clone) ithaka (named Magoo) - Maybe they would teach me how to to make it work (I hope my ithaka does not have any defects:()

best regards!
#11 (permalink)      10/3/2013 7:43:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zombie55
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 760
  • Reviews 689
  • Kudos600
the reason the ohms are jumping is your having shorts

sounds like you connected the negative wire down the ceramic cup side and the positive wire down the metal side

make sure the positive wire (lower connection point is not touching any metal part only the connection point

to start with just do 1 single coil wrapped around 2 3m wicks so it makes x

the single coil can be excellent

Edited on 10/3/2013 at 7:46 AM. Reason: