shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Dripping Wicks last only 4 hours? Normal?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/24/2015 10:31:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23162
Dripping Wicks last only 4 hours? Normal?
New to Dripping.

Have a couple dual coil new drippers but this one is still my favourite of all for taste. Got it a couple of months ago but didn't really use it and have recently started much more so.
Love it so much, despite its very low well, I bought 5 more for this very low price.
Looking ahead for DIY + need to test about 16 brand new 30ml bottles that are top sellers but mainly not in my dessert flavours I love. Most I will try once in a dripper and close up and never touch again. Dont want to waste a whole tank to test.

BUT, finding that once wicked, I need to re-wick maybe 4 hours later.
Is that not a bit too soon?

First hour of vaping is absolute perfection.
Have to be careful and make sure I re-soak the wick after so many hits or the cotton gets dry, naturally.
I can tell just before that happens.

BUT, after a few hours, it seems as if the wicks never get dry but becomes harder to vape on.
Dont know if this makes sense but I would suggest they are almost too wet?

There is space under the coil, although unlike attys, naturally there isn't a air hole under it so I guess its not as important, if at all to keep that area clear of wick but habit has me doing so.
Its as if they reach a point quickly where the wick can no longer absorb the juice, 100%

Wondering if this is normal for dripping, changing wicks every 4 or so hours?
Or is it the sugar or whatever gunks up coils causing the wicks to do this but the same juice flavors don't do this on attys....

Or am I just doing something wrong?

Using 24g, 0.5 micro coil wrapped on a blue screwdriver...

TIA

Edited on 7/24/2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason:
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#2 (permalink)      7/24/2015 10:51:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42152
+1 details
Probably more gunk build up without that airhole underneath. I try to change the wick whenever I drip a new flavor. Nichrome seems to build up more crud on it quicker.

Change the wick as much as you like. :)

My dripper is same in principle. I have to position the hole for best vapor.
#3 (permalink)      7/24/2015 10:55:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5562
+3 details
What are you wicking with? If cotton, what kind of cotton?

Is the wick tight in the coil, or can it be pulled through with little resistance?

I typically let mine go until I look at them and say "Oh God! That looks AWFUL!" then I re-wick them. They work just fine until that point. I also change out wicks on attys that haven't been used in days. Otherwise on constant use attys the wicks stay in for days at a time, how many usually depending on the juice. Most certainly for more than four hours of vaping.
#4 (permalink)      7/24/2015 10:57:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42152
+1 details
Oh, Kanthal seems to work in my dripper better.

It might be the coil muting the flavor.
#5 (permalink)      7/24/2015 11:00:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Sossij
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5882
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5955
+2 details
4 hours sounds a bit short! What do the dead wicks looks like? Are they juice coloured, or black?

I change wicks 'frequently' - Days rather than weeks. I noticed the flavour drop off, then a sort of faint burnt taste, but not like burnt cottton, just something a bit wrong. By then the wicks are just a black slimy mess, probably from the burnt sugars and the like leeching back into the wick.

Oh, what sort of cotton? Balls (ahem) or Japanese/sheet?
"You quit cigarettes, you started vaping, and now you're Einstein"
#6 (permalink)      7/24/2015 11:33:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Inkitatus
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 6808
  • Reviews 179
  • Kudos6852
+1 details
You'll be fine once you get your TC mod,ShelaghStone ;-)

Your wick should last days not hours,but maybe your taste is more sensitive than most.
Good luck!
https://www.instagram.com/inkitatus/
#7 (permalink)      7/24/2015 1:06:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23162
Sorry I guess I didn't give enough information

Kanathal
Using same flavour over and over.....only change flavour when i change wicks

Color of wick is the same at the end but just, well, soggy sort of, as if it has reached a point where I likely could not get a dry hit because it wont dry out completely due to being "soggy"

U know what, I will drip a bit later on it and post a picture so you can see.

I partly wondered IF it was due to there not being an air hole but I did drill out a 2.50 hole to replace the pin hole it came with so the vape/clouds, etc is very satisfactory.
Cant complain about the taste, the vape, the clouds, or anything.
In fact, it is a perfect vape.

Beats any dual coil dripper for taste IF one isn't into clouds, which i am not.
This is truly a dripper for taste

But just cant figure out why it gets this way after only 4 hours or so.......that is if i am Vaping heavily on it.
If not, it can go at the most, 24 but I vape on it enough I would say 4 is where its at its best.....and from there on I feel I am having to throw more juice on it more often, to get the same taste as 4 hours earlier, but it just never dries fully, the wick that is.

I shall post a photo later. Perhaps that will explain better...I can live with it if i must but just don't believe it should need it this often.
Ok so it might be a question that no one can answer unless it was in their own hands but at least by asking and hearing your answers, I now know for sure that 4 hours is really too often....

Thx
#8 (permalink)      7/24/2015 1:11:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23162
+1 details
Inkitatus wrote:

You'll be fine once you get your TC mod,ShelaghStone ;-)

Your wick should last days not hours,but maybe your taste is more sensitive than most.
Good luck!

Wow....good idea!
Hmmm.......this might be the perfect one to wrap a ni200 coil upon as i do have 28g wire for that and put it on my Heatvape Invader Min in TC mode and see how I like it for the TC pre-made coils I have for the subtank mini might be great for those that love that subtank but i have repeatedly said over and over I abhor the subtank mini as i find the taste too muted....

So you just gave me an idea.
I will try this one out later since the taste on it is so perfect to begin with.
That will ensure that at least the coil and atty part is perfectly set up ONCE i figure out how to use ni200 wire
IF after that I don't like it, than its either the Mod, or me

Thz. I know that wasn't your intention but it gave me a great idea nonetheless :)

#9 (permalink)      7/24/2015 1:45:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Inkitatus
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 6808
  • Reviews 179
  • Kudos6852
Ah,a fellow invader mini owner- clearly you're a Lady with impeccable taste!

That should sort your problem! Tempered Ni200 is much easier to use,if you haven't tried it already..
Failing that,you could try a vertical genesis style ss mesh wick with kanthal- only a dry burn required every now & then to clean it up- I've used a veritas wicked like this for over 8 months with the same wick & 0.7ohm coil.
;-)
https://www.instagram.com/inkitatus/
#10 (permalink)      8/28/2015 5:13:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23162
I finally found out what had been causing the problem I had on this one particular RDA and it was some cheap kanthal I had been given in place of what I thought i was buying.
It was affecting the taste of anything i wrapped it with.
But up until that point, it had wicked perfectly.

Once I bought new wire and wasn't using the no name Kanathal from China, the taste improved 500% and burned better.

Beyond that, I have bought and tried several RDAs that are much more attractive than this one, being a bit dated, and is a bit small on top of the mods BUT, this is the one i keep reaching for.

That's why I bought 5 extras.
No other RDA i have tried consistently lets you taste your juice as this one does.

This is strictly a flavour type RDA whereas all the ones i buy nowadays, even if its said they are good for flavour, as far as i am concerned, none of them come close to the taste of your juice on this one.
I bought 5 as I figured i would finally, soon, get to making my own juice and this is the one i would want to test mine on..

Failing that,you could try a vertical genesis style ss mesh wick with kanthal- only a dry burn required every now & then to clean it up- I've used a veritas wicked like this for over 8 months with the same wick & 0.7ohm coil.

I have seen other comments much the same. I am not really sure what it is you are referring to but guessing u mean something like the NextGen.
Thats one atty that uses mesh that i have been meaning to get to but without the proper time right now, I have put it off until i have enough time as i am stubborn and won't give up if i can't get it right.....I cant afford the time right now to become obsessive trying to make it work ;)

Next week hopefully. Then perhaps I will understand.

Anyhow, glad i bought 5 more of these.....just the best tasting RDA and no other that I have purchased even comes close to this one.
Such an easy single coil RDA.
Just drilled a 2.5mm hole on the side, just at the same spot they have a tinier hole..I just made it a bit bigger and its perfect.

Thx (little late getting back but i always do eventually make my way back)

#11 (permalink)      8/28/2015 5:22:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pickles
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2200
  • Reviews 58
  • Kudos2230
ShelaghStone wrote:

Sorry I guess I didn't give enough information

I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself. Not trying to start trouble but I found this quote hilarious considering everything.