shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Horrible taste
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      5/19/2015 9:14:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
I don't understand the claims against using plain soap and water that some make. For something like an atty, anyway. Obviously don't want to be submerging a VV/VW. I've had zero problems just washing in the sink with hot water and peppermint castille soap. Rinse well, towel dry, then leave in sun and breeze to fully dry, or use air compressor if I'm wanting it sooner. So, what's the beef with soap and water cleaning SS/brass/copper?
{°^°} NEVER forget to use your rebate point gift certificates before they expire. FT gives NO SECOND CHANCES I, however, offer ETERNAL SALVATION @ LOW,LOW PRICES!
#12 (permalink)      5/19/2015 9:19:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
Sometimes use 91% isopropyl, too. Not for a full bath type cleaning, more for spot cleaning. Evaporates in no time. A quick rinse or wipe takes care of any possibility of residue. The state I live in prohibits the sale of Everclear type spirits, so that option is off the table for me, if I were inclined to pursue it. I do rather covet an ultrasonic cleaner, though. Can a decent vape-gear-cleaning sized one be had for under $50?
{°^°} NEVER forget to use your rebate point gift certificates before they expire. FT gives NO SECOND CHANCES I, however, offer ETERNAL SALVATION @ LOW,LOW PRICES!
#13 (permalink)      5/19/2015 9:28:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
R4DLY
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 4675
  • Reviews 201
  • Kudos4113
+2 details
revmp wrote:

I don't understand the claims against using plain soap and water that some make. For something like an atty, anyway. Obviously don't want to be submerging a VV/VW. I've had zero problems just washing in the sink with hot water and peppermint castille soap. Rinse well, towel dry, then leave in sun and breeze to fully dry, or use air compressor if I'm wanting it sooner. So, what's the beef with soap and water cleaning SS/brass/copper?

Just because the smallest remenants of soap can ruin a whole setup, not for all atomizers but Subtank and Taifun are classic examples, its impossible to dry the base out fully on a TF unless you leave it somewhere warm for a few hours. Soap caught between the glass and tank housing on the Subtank ruined 4.5ml of expensive juice, after that I was done with soap.

Alcohol just evaporates in minutes and dissolves everything you don't want just as quickly. If I could stop spending on vape gear i'd buy an ultrasonic but I can't see that happening any time soon.

Fear is the mind killer
#14 (permalink)      5/19/2015 9:49:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2176
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1442
+1 details
revmp wrote:

Sometimes use 91% isopropyl, too. Not for a full bath type cleaning, more for spot cleaning. Evaporates in no time. A quick rinse or wipe takes care of any possibility of residue. The state I live in prohibits the sale of Everclear type spirits, so that option is off the table for me, if I were inclined to pursue it. I do rather covet an ultrasonic cleaner, though. Can a decent vape-gear-cleaning sized one be had for under $50?

look up harbor freight tools. I reload for my guns so I have 3 of their larger cleaners for cleaning brass and they work great. You can find coupons for 20 or 25% off in just about every magazine out there. Picking up one of the smaller units next time I'm there (the store is one hour away) just for vape gear.

Maybe the mods reading this will take a hint and get one on here.

Edited on 5/19/2015 at 9:50 PM. Reason:
My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#15 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:00:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
L_Rieder
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1604
  • Reviews 156
  • Kudos1019
+1 details
I use vodka for both cleaning and soaking. I remember the first time I ever got an atty that was loaded with machine oil - had no idea what was wrong. I washed and re-washed, kept getting that same familiar scent and flavor. Had to look it up.
#16 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:03:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
L_Rieder
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1604
  • Reviews 156
  • Kudos1019
+1 details
revmp wrote:

If I have an atty that doesn't appear or smell dirty, I use Dawn dishwashing liquid - no problems thus far.

#17 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:07:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
empiric
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 8376
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos2152
Isopropyl (or theoretically safer presuming you don't decide to binge drink it instead, vodka) better achieves the pinnacle of laziness your "rinse well" step is holding your methodology back from, by in worst-case, evaporating away.
~ Whence do you come, slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?
#18 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:14:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18261
+2 details
neo71665 wrote:

look up harbor freight tools. I reload for my guns so I have 3 of their larger cleaners for cleaning brass and they work great. You can find coupons for 20 or 25% off in just about every magazine out there. Picking up one of the smaller units next time I'm there (the store is one hour away) just for vape gear.Maybe the mods reading this will take a hint and get one on here.

If you reload and have a vibratory brass cleaner, it's an excellent way to get stuck components apart. I once had a Kayfun AFC screw back out and get stuck on the air cuts on the cap of a mod. I chucked the base/cap combo in my Lee Turbo, and left it there for half an hour. When I came back to check it, the two had shaken themselves apart, and we're nice and shiny as an added bonus. I quite often throw a brass or copper mod in with Lee crushed walnut shells and jewellers rouge media, and it brings them up a treat. Plus the noise is marginally less annoying than my ultrasonic.

Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#19 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:20:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5562
So far with the two attys I have received (Plume Veil and Omerta clones) there has been no oil or anything built up inside. Of course you could smell the oil, but they were pretty clean all things considered. I just took a tothbrush and scrubbed them with some Dawn. If they had any actual build up I probably would have used some Barkeeper's Friend. It's a purpose built SS cleaner/polisher. It works for other surfaces, but it gets SS nice and shiny.

I would just suggest NOT putting them in the dishwasher. If anything can prove that stainless steel is NOT rust proof, it's a dishwasher.
#20 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:38:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
L_Rieder
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1604
  • Reviews 156
  • Kudos1019
+1 details
DefMunky wrote:

So far with the two attys I have received (Plume Veil and Omerta clones) there has been no oil or anything built up inside. Of course you could smell the oil, but they were pretty clean all things considered. I just took a tothbrush and scrubbed them with some Dawn. If they had any actual build up I probably would have used some Barkeeper's Friend. It's a purpose built SS cleaner/polisher. It works for other surfaces, but it gets SS nice and shiny.

I would just suggest NOT putting them in the dishwasher. If anything can prove that stainless steel is NOT rust proof, it's a dishwasher.

Most of the time I don't see the oil, but can certainly smell it if it's there. My latest oil-laden atty is the Goblin. I went through the process of soaking and scrubbing with vodka, then letting it air overnight. Checked it today, I could still smell it. So round two. I'll take it back out of the vodka later tonight, blow the air holes out (several times), dry it off and leave it to dry again. Hopefully, I'll be able to use it tomorrow.

An ultra-sonic cleaner would be nice, particularly since I'm almost ready to try my hand at DIY.

#21 (permalink)      5/19/2015 10:44:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18261
+1 details
The cleanest atties I've ever received were the Hotcig Taifun, mad Hatter, and the the Lemo V2. All were spotless, and with no oil smell at all. I still cleaned them prior to use, but I really think that each could have been used out the box.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0