shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

First Mod?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      2/12/2014 9:31:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
silvrcraze
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 490
  • Reviews 170
  • Kudos317
+1 details
First Mod?
I'm sorry if this has been done before. I've been reading thread after thread but I know supplies change as well as versions of everything changes over time.

I'm looking to get my first MOD and I am having a hard time picking one. I see pros and cons in all of them then there's all the stuff I don't understand to even know if they'll be good for me! LOL

I think I've narrowed it down to this or a Vamo 3 or 5. I really love the VTR but I don't think I want the box style plus I wouldn't buy it on FT. As for the Vamo I'm sure I need the removable collar so that's why I'm going with 3 or 5. I don't plan to subohm or anything. I usually use a 2.4/2.8ohm on the lower settings of my ego. I do want to be able to have a decent size battery in it. I want to start rebuilding my coils so I need it to tell me the resistance. I really want the cheapest route possible but still have something that is good quality and least confusing for someone who is new to a MOD. I believe that both are appropriate for all 510/ego threads. Please correct me if I am wrong. Do I need any extras to make some tanks work properly or sit flush? Is the Vamo 5 that much better than the 3?

As for the batteries, I've read so many different things that I don't know what is what at this point. I know that they're shipping them but it's a risky ship. Somewhere I read that the batteries are ok if they're in the item they're meant for. Am I better off just not ordering any or ask FT to put the battery/batteries in the MOD I choose if they'll do that or is that just a waste? Should I just stick with purchasing them from a US supplier?

Lastly, what about a decent pyrex tank for the SVD or Vamo? I've been looking at some new juices but a lot of them have crack warnings for plastic tanks. I have a protank mini knock off and HATE it. It leaks at the bottom threads on the outside but I wrapped that and have to replace it every few tanks if I use it. It began tasting funny which might have been the resistance (I'm slowly learning) so I have ordered some 2.4ohms for it to see if that was the problem since I do have a lot of trouble with the bottom coil tanks. With the two styles what tanks would look good and work well? I really don't want to throw on some CE4s on a nicer MOD.

I'm open to all suggestions. I appreciate all input. Everyone has been quite helpful so far so I trust everyone's opinions as well as know that everyone has a different experience vaping. If you have a different MOD to suggest please do so even if it's not on FT. I just need something of quality and still in a decent price range like the SVD and Vamos.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to reading responses.

silvrcraze marked this question as answered on 2/13/2014 at 9:13 PM
Are you the product of the "No Child Left Behind" act?
Answer
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26879
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51348
Well the Vamo V3/V5 and SVD are very good mods.

Depends on what you like style wise. I myself have the Vamo V3 kit SKU 1395801 which comes with a charger and a battery (you may want more batteries though). I will probably get an SVD eventually as I already have the VTR and Vamo V3

The Vamo V5 has no kit SKU 1491700

The Vamo V5 and SVD do not come with batteries or a charger so I recommend SKU 1119500 Nitecore i2

For extra batteries for the Vamo V3/V5 and SVD I would suggest SKU 1141100 3400mAh 18650's for longest running time in Vamo's or SVD

If you want to use the Vamo or SVD in a shorter mode then SKU 1053201 18350's

For a pyrex tank I would probably suggest a protank 2 SKU 1429700

The protank 2 can be rebuilt with SKU 1593907 premade wick and coil.

Here is a video on how to rebuild them. Since you are using premade coils you can skip making coils part.

LET'S REBUILD A KANGER PROTANK

You can also make coils last longer by cleaning and dry burning them every few tanks. I do mine every 2 or 3 tankfuls depending on the juice. Higher VG or darker liquids need cleaning more often.

How to Clean & Dry Burn... Kanger ProTank II & Mini ProTank II, Protank 2 Tutorial

I would stick to the Stainless Steel if you choose the Vamo as the Gunmetal and chrome finishes will wear off over time.

Edited on 2/13/2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason:
http://i.imgur.com/fKSQtVA.jpg..........You self made victims crack me up. =D
#2 (permalink)      2/12/2014 11:15:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26879
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51348
+3 details
Well the Vamo V3/V5 and SVD are very good mods.

Depends on what you like style wise. I myself have the Vamo V3 kit SKU 1395801 which comes with a charger and a battery (you may want more batteries though). I will probably get an SVD eventually as I already have the VTR and Vamo V3

The Vamo V5 has no kit SKU 1491700

The Vamo V5 and SVD do not come with batteries or a charger so I recommend SKU 1119500 Nitecore i2

For extra batteries for the Vamo V3/V5 and SVD I would suggest SKU 1141100 3400mAh 18650's for longest running time in Vamo's or SVD

If you want to use the Vamo or SVD in a shorter mode then SKU 1053201 18350's

For a pyrex tank I would probably suggest a protank 2 SKU 1429700

The protank 2 can be rebuilt with SKU 1593907 premade wick and coil.

Here is a video on how to rebuild them. Since you are using premade coils you can skip making coils part.

LET'S REBUILD A KANGER PROTANK

You can also make coils last longer by cleaning and dry burning them every few tanks. I do mine every 2 or 3 tankfuls depending on the juice. Higher VG or darker liquids need cleaning more often.

How to Clean & Dry Burn... Kanger ProTank II & Mini ProTank II, Protank 2 Tutorial

I would stick to the Stainless Steel if you choose the Vamo as the Gunmetal and chrome finishes will wear off over time.

Edited on 2/13/2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      2/12/2014 11:31:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26879
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51348
+2 details
You can make tanks not wobble on Vamo V3/V5 by using a beauty ring SKU 1402106 you will still see a slight gap but will steady the tank

Or just unscrew the top ring a little to flush up to tank and maybe add an o-ring (also prevents tank wobble)no gap then.

Click here for larger picture of below

You could also add a tank Tank Airflow Controller for 510 to protect threads and help with the wobble. They are about $3. Just Google the bold print to find them.

Just ask if you need anymore help.

Hope this helps ;)

Edited on 2/13/2014 at 12:25 AM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      2/13/2014 1:10:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
silvrcraze
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 490
  • Reviews 170
  • Kudos317
+2 details
Thank you so much! You just did more for me than I have been able to figure out in the last 3 days of searching. Without actually having handled a lot of the products needed such as batteries it becomes a huge mess not understanding the differences and trying to read reviews to make sure they're not going to explode on me!

I'm leaning toward the SS V3 since it does come in a kit and I do think it might be less bulky than the SVD. As for the bottom coils it hasn't been the cleanliness of them or build up. I had one tank that would taste strange after just a few hours of vaping on a new coil. Because of the juice I can't really explain the taste it had. I went through 4 coils in 2 weeks until I started replacing the strand of wick over the coils but that didn't last long. It just was cheaper than the $3 coils from the store were. I tried all the DIY Youtube vids though I'm not too keen on the dry burn but I have tried it because I was trying to figure it out. As I've learned the ohms thing I'm really thinking the resistance was too low. That's the only thing they have had in common in all of them. It's really a learning experience. This is stuff they don't tell you when they're trying to sell their overpriced starter kits at a lot of these Vape shops, at least the 1st one I went to. It was all about sales. Literally, you took a number when you walked in. Then I found a hole in the wall place who at least cared about her customers and charges enough to live but unfortunately I have to live as well so I can't support her as much but I always send business to her.

Again, thank you so much! Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to make up my mind!
#5 (permalink)      2/13/2014 9:39:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
silvrcraze
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 490
  • Reviews 170
  • Kudos317
+1 details
Do the Vamos need a protected battery or not protected? I know the SVD does but not sure about the Vamos
#6 (permalink)      2/13/2014 9:48:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mimppimp
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 1583
  • Reviews 113
  • Kudos759
+2 details
regulated mods do not require protected batteries.
i just dont give a shit anymore....
#7 (permalink)      2/13/2014 10:37:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
silvrcraze
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 490
  • Reviews 170
  • Kudos317
+1 details
Ok, I just wanted to make sure. I thought I read that somewhere but then I keep reading about people using them in their mods.

Thank you. I'm getting my order together and it's slowly getting higher and HIGHER!
#8 (permalink)      2/13/2014 10:49:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26879
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51348
+2 details
Yup mimppimp is right regulated mods do not require protected batteries. They have their own built in protection unlike mechanical mods which have none.

Well this is the biggest expense now but gets cheaper in the long run. Best to buy quality items so you won't have to keep replacing things. I use SKU 1141100 myself in the Vamo V3 and my VTR and they last me almost 2 days each. I usually charge them after a day and a half though. But I am sure they would go much longer as they are only down to about 3.7 to 3.8 by next day. Also if you drain them to low it takes forever to charge them lol.

Well longer then my other batteries I have.

Ask if you have anymore questions. ;)
#9 (permalink)      2/13/2014 11:54:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
silvrcraze
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 490
  • Reviews 170
  • Kudos317
+1 details
Yeah I have everything you recommended in my order viking! I went ahead and got the V5 since in the end it came out to a few dollars cheaper. I even got a set of smaller batteries because I'm not sure what length I will want to use.

Now, how would you recommend I split my order? I have the V5, the charger, a set of 18650s, a set of 18350s, a protank, some wire, and some wick. Should I even split it? Then it's the agonizing part of waiting on it!
#10 (permalink)      2/14/2014 12:06:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
viking65
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 26879
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos51348
+1 details
You might as well let it all go Malaysia post as none of it will be useful until the batteries arrive.

Mine came to East Coast USA in 18 days from shipping. Or 14 business days not counting weekends.

If I use Hong Kong post and not batteries or liquid it is about 10 to 14 days sometimes 3 weeks.

But like I said nothing will work until you get your batteries so just leave it all together in Malaysia post.

When it ships be patient as it will take 5 or 6 days to even track it sometimes.

Click here to see my tracking results on Malaysia post

Where are you at in the world?

Oh and did you get liquid to or are you getting that locally or elsewhere as you never mentioned anything about it (maybe have some already)?

Edited on 2/14/2014 at 12:08 AM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      2/14/2014 12:24:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
silvrcraze
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 490
  • Reviews 170
  • Kudos317
Yeah I will be pretty dang antsy waiting on half my order to get here but if I had one set of batteries with the mod I could be content for a bit longer. I don't think you're that far off from me here in the states if I read your tracking on the other post correctly. I'm in northern AL. I was quite surprised to see my last order just updated to despatched overseas today! I did get some liquid to try. It was cheap and I if it stinks I'll give it away! I wasn't expecting the update so soon since I think my last order took forever to update but yeah I know not to expect it anytime soon but want to take all precautions to at least safely assume it should be arriving.

I'm not new new to vaping. I've been using an ego style for about 5 months & mostly ce4s because they've wicked the best but leak horribly. I just am now getting into the MODs in such. There's really no education around here about the finer details of vaping and honestly, I don't think most of these places know anything beyond screwing a coil in a tank, filling it with juice, and sticking it on a battery. I guess if that works for you great but I need something better as I've said I've had a lot of issues since I've started vaping. I almost quit after 2 weeks because of the dang bottom coil I had! Thankfully I stuck with it and read up and was able to find something that worked for me. I've been getting my liquids locally but a lot of sites are starting to pop up with some really good prices so I'm going to start checking them out because the shop I go to just doesn't have enough liquids that I like. They're cheap but I'm starting to find them even cheaper. My next adventure is going to be learning to make my own juices.