shopping cart empty
WARNING!!! eGo caught on fire!!!!
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/27/2013 2:37:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zona79
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos3
+3 details
WARNING!!! eGo caught on fire!!!!
I recently bought 3 packs of 2-pack eGo battery 1100mah. SKU 1368701.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1368701

Two of the black batteries fell appart. Control head just popped out.

THE THIRD BLACK WAS A REAL PROBLEM!!!!!

On first charge it exploded and caught fire.

#2 (permalink)      8/27/2013 6:07:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
rickalan21
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 186
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos101
+1 details
Thank you for bringing this to the forum's attention (i too have a few from FT) i do hope you get a response from the staff

~Rick
You cant fix stupid
#3 (permalink)      8/27/2013 7:06:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
AlexMci
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 137
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos74
Wow that is really nasty mate, glad you are okay. Hope you get some answers to this one. Would hate to think that there is a lot of lethal ego batteries out there. I was going to get these for my mum. Will need to re think that one now.
#4 (permalink)      8/27/2013 7:45:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
zona79
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos3
It is interesting that from 3 2-packs....silver batteries are OK, and all black were defective.....Probably the same production error, but this one shorted while charging and finished like this.....
#5 (permalink)      8/27/2013 7:58:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Amiga72
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 1231
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1782
+1 details
Ok I just want to put some perspective on this before the naysayers get here.

Zona79 I’m glad your ok and hope it was in a safe charging area so didn`t damage anything else around it. Even though this is a very unfortunate and scary thing to happen, it is not uncommon for a ego type battery to fail like this on first charge most will get caught at the factory before they are shipped out and its usually a manufacture defect in the layers that causes it. The protection in an ego battery (and I say this as I haven’t seen one to the contry) is in the circuit board in the head, the battery persay is no different to a unprotected li-ion.

Can i ask how you charged it (I’m taking it you used a 420mah charger like SKU 1270407 ) was it plugged in to a wall charger or computer usb port

Reason I ask is computer usb port charging and car charger charging make up the most of the ego failures and there is a theory that voltage variance and spikes can trigger a failure due to tolerances.

I hope FT get it sorted for you.

also i`m adding this precautionary advice for others:

Ego batteries are not protected or safe chemistry, please use caution when charging or if dropped, a short circuit can cause them to heat up, catch fire or explode

please use safe charging bag when charging li-ion / ego batteries SKU 1391601

Edited on 8/27/2013 at 8:20 AM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      8/28/2013 8:26:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
deanbob
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 1
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1
+1 details
Is there any info / feedback from a member of staff on this?
Literally ordered 10 of these batteries for friends and I'm now a little apprehensive to hand these out.
#7 (permalink)      9/16/2013 5:59:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
hbweder
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 1
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos0
same here, bout a total of 4 2 two packs 1100mah, all of them stopped working within a week of recieving them. I am going through another vender. FastTechs return policy is not comnvient for me,
#8 (permalink)      10/4/2013 8:42:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
brocko
  • JoinedJan 2013
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos0
I guess it it time to buy a protective battery charging bag. As stated above. Thanks all.
#9 (permalink)      11/30/2013 11:23:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
benraph
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 1
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos0
Hi, The OP stated he bought 2 x ego batteries, but they are not Ego, they are copies and there are loads of problems with them. If you buy true ego originals they should be fine. Never had a problem with an ego original! Press on the order number in the first post and you can see they work for ego products, but are not ego.
#10 (permalink)      1/16/2014 6:25:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Tarif
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 195
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos28
benraph : "ego" is a battery type not a brand. It is true that joyetech was the first to make joyetech batteries ; but you can have good egos from other brands.
Hope staff will give an answer regarding the problem of zona79... This makes me realy hesitate to buy any ego battery here