shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Schematic
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      8/27/2016 5:51:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
supervapez711
  • JoinedMay 2016
  • Posts 3
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos9
+2 details
wuwei.ap wrote:

I was thinking the other way around. By just using the ego plug hardware, without the board, and a normal li-ion charger (xtar mc2 (0.5A)) for eGo batteries.

I see what you are saying. I actually tried that awhile back with a xtar MC1. It did not work. When I attached the EGO battery to the xtar the battery flashed and lit up like it was charging. The xtar LED turned red briefly indicating charging, then immediately turned green indicating full charge/trickle mode. The battery stayed lit during this sequence.

#12 (permalink)      8/27/2016 6:04:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42151
Bummer, the eGo chargers I have are the 8pin ones and are just like you describe - temperamental. They even behave differently depending on the current from the USB plugs I use. There must be some logic in the eGo batteries incompatible with the li-ion charge cycle of the xtars.

Edited on 8/27/2016 at 6:12 PM. Reason:
#13 (permalink)      8/27/2016 9:56:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+3 details
@quarks
The ego batteries built in protection circuit is'nt a charge controller.
It does'nt regulate the voltage nor terminate the charge.

Ego battery protection circuit limit the battery's voltage under ~4.35V max, without any battery's voltages hysteresis at witch the battery is'nt in a charging state.
The battery is keept in an always charging state, the battery is self discharging slowly and more energy immediately go in as a result.
This state accelerate the dendrites formations that eventually lead to internal short circuits.
Edited because i did'nt explain where my "possibly charge to 5V" statement came from.

It is not likely to happen nowaday, but early e-cig did'nt even had any builtin protections.

For a short period of time between the throwaway and first protected rechargable.
(Like if the chineses were "converting" thiers already made throwaways into rechargables, slaping a "charger" to them.)
Before the first 5 clics turn on/off rechargable, they used to use only a mosfet, 2 resistors, and a switch.
That offered only an under voltage protection as a mosfet won't turn on if there is not enough voltage on its gate, the resistances take care of that as well as bleeding the gate charges to turn it off.
Mosfets having an unavoidable reverse voltage diode body by default, charging is possible, but offered no protection at all.

The difference between the 8 pins and 6 pins controllers is that the 8 pins one have a temperature sensing and "Chip Enable" features while the other do not.
A CE fwature is only useful in one case, power management.

supervapez711 wrote:

That is a third type for me, never saw one until now.
No programming resistance on IC's pin #2 = not a TP4056.

I would not trust charging lithium batteries on the first ones unless i am monitoring the voltage in real time.
With a kill switch in between...

The two other, it depends on if one of the USB voltage go strait to the battery through a resistor or through the IC(or a mosfet triggered by the IC).

Edited on 8/28/2016 at 2:28 AM. Reason:
#14 (permalink)      8/27/2016 10:37:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+3 details
The top one is a 4056 variant and is terminating the charge, the current do not go strait to the 510.
I think it is SKU 1270407, all i remember clearly is that i did'nt selected the cheapest at the time.

The bottom one is a TP4056 that i have modify to be able to have variable CC, replaced the resistor that was limiting it to 420mA by a 10K pot.
That one did'nt came from FT.
#15 (permalink)      8/28/2016 2:52:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
wuwei.ap wrote:

Bummer, the eGo chargers I have are the 8pin ones and are just like you describe - temperamental. They even behave differently depending on the current from the USB plugs I use. There must be some logic in the eGo batteries incompatible with the li-ion charge cycle of the xtars.

Most likely caused by a faulty cable or a bad connection.

An IC is rarely temperamental, they usually work, or they don't.
Even when they do fail intermitantly, it will be intermitant no matter what you do.

One of the possible reason to fail intermitantly aside internal wires bounding issues is : barely having enough voltage to make the IC do its job properly.
An other reason can be : a protection circuit is kicking in.

EX: Your 8 pins IC is programmed to limit the current at 420mA and you are trying to charge a protected battery whitch protection circuit kick in above 380mA.
The leds on your charger will go on and off and their on duration will depend on the heat up and cool down of the battery's protection circuit.

Edited on 8/28/2016 at 3:04 AM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      8/28/2016 3:04:28 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hiko9
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 5627
  • Reviews 269
  • Kudos5390
I've always had problems getting a charge into Ego Twists for some reason.. 4 different twists, loads of different ego chargers.. Thought about trying to bodge a 510 into an i4 or make a dummy cell with a 510 male on it for the Xtars...

Ta for sharing that it didn't work :) saved me a job
Green Screwdriver for LIFE
#17 (permalink)      8/28/2016 3:10:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
Hiko9 wrote:

I've always had problems getting a charge into Ego Twists for some reason.. 4 different twists, loads of different ego chargers.. Thought about trying to bodge a 510 into an i4 or make a dummy cell with a 510 male on it for the Xtars...

Ta for sharing that it didn't work :) saved me a job

Would work if you can limit the CC to something the battery's protection won't be triggered at.
An other option is to bypass the protection circuit, when plugged to your charger.

Before the batteries police get on my case...
Whatever you do, DO NOT EXCEED A CC of 0.8C OF YOUR BATTERY'S CAPACITY.

Edited on 8/28/2016 at 3:18 AM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      8/28/2016 3:11:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Hiko9
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 5627
  • Reviews 269
  • Kudos5390
Ah yes. The Xtar VP series features a 250mA rate. Excellent. I may well try it then.
Green Screwdriver for LIFE