shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

setup to display ohms ?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      9/24/2013 7:01:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fiddly
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos22
+1 details
setup to display ohms ?
Could this be configured to display ohms? If so --How?
#2 (permalink)      9/24/2013 9:09:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
iinweed
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 960
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos638
+1 details
Short answer - Nope.

Longer answer - it is a 2 wire device, which means it will only display the voltage of the thing powering it.

It's doubtful it can even be easily modified to give a voltage reading of anything other than it's power source, almost certainly not without serious surgery, and without the circuit diagram it's a tad tricky.
I tried to get hold of some diagrams for these things a while back - no luck.

They are also not that accurate, and will not read low voltages as they stand because they just switch off.

If you want an ohm meter go look on fleabay, they have some there that will read 0 to 200 ohms for just over £5 - much simpler.
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. All opinions expressed are my own.
#3 (permalink)      9/25/2013 2:47:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fiddly
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos22
Thanks iinweed, I have a cheap multimeter that I use. I was was just wondering whether this device could be modified to read ohms. I would like to build one to test-verify the resistance of the coils i make for my atomizers by screwing them down to a 510-ego connector.Any ideas would help Thanks for the heads up on the low voltage accuracy of this thing and your input. Cheers and peace----DG
#4 (permalink)      9/30/2013 4:36:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
iinweed
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 960
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos638
+1 details
If you have a multimeter you are happy to use then a simple box with a couple of banana sockets on it connected to an EGO connector should do everything you want it to. Just wire the banana sockets to the EGO connect inside the box, connect up your meter and there you go.

For a slightly more advanced unit you can set up with pulsing capabilities too.
I will be building this unit in a few days for my own use, once all the bits arrive.
Picture is a bit big - sorry about that, but was hard to get it clear.

Any questions, just ask. Click to enlarge

Mod (FastTech_Mod) edited on 9/30/2013 at 6:36 PM. Reason:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. All opinions expressed are my own.
#5 (permalink)      10/1/2013 11:16:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fiddly
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos22
Thanks much iinweed, Here's a vid from youtube via breaktru forum.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nJSs3y8AwI#t=23. ---peace---D
#6 (permalink)      10/3/2013 11:07:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
iinweed
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 960
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos638
+1 details
Thanks Mod - how you do that btw? :-)

@Fiddly
The constant current method is one way of using a volt meter to measure ohms, it's not simple though, compared to just getting a low ohm meter from fleabay - the ohm meter I use reads a maximum of 200ohms, and seems accurate enough on the coils (compared it with a fluke multimeter), and was a lot less hassle for me.

I was considering adding a voltage meter (and possibly a current meter while I was at it), but then decided that it didn't really matter seeing as I was not going to be using it to vape, just needed to regulate the 7.2V down enough so I didn't burn out coils when pulsing them.

Have fun!
#7 (permalink)      10/3/2013 6:39:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FastTech_Mod
  • JoinedDec 2012
  • Posts 563
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos493
Hi iinweed,

I'm not sure what you're referring to. How did I make the pic smaller or how did I make the link or something else?

FT_M

Edited on 10/3/2013 at 6:39 PM. Reason:
For support, please contact us at https://support.fasttech.com
#8 (permalink)      10/3/2013 11:41:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fiddly
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 81
  • Reviews 14
  • Kudos22

Edited on 10/4/2013 at 1:32 AM. Reason: meh
#9 (permalink)      10/13/2013 10:30:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
iinweed
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 960
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos638
@FT_M
Make the pic smaller.