shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Confirmed version 8 shipping
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/7/2015 4:23:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
Confirmed version 8 shipping
I received this about 5 weeks ago, opened it up, and it is V8. No problems with it whatsoever. Used it as a charger and as a power bank; works a treat.
{°^°} NEVER forget to use your rebate point gift certificates before they expire. FT gives NO SECOND CHANCES I, however, offer ETERNAL SALVATION @ LOW,LOW PRICES!
#2 (permalink)      6/7/2015 6:35:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Schnarph
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 2621
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos2405
+1 details
So I've read. 3 questions:

-So, no more overcharging like the V7.1?

-How about over discharging when used as a power bank?

-Does it still have a small blue LED always on when a cell is inserted?

I can deal with the 3rd problem, but those first two make the 7.1 dangerous if not supervised while in use. TIA
Your advertisement here
#3 (permalink)      6/7/2015 8:07:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
+1 details
Schnarph wrote:

So I've read. 3 questions:
-So, no more overcharging like the V7.1?

Nope

-How about over discharging when used as a power bank?

Hasn't been a problem for me, but I can't say I've tested it in any kind of meaningful way. Just used it as needed. But no problem AFA that goes.

-Does it still have a small blue LED always on when a cell is inserted

Yup!

{°^°} NEVER forget to use your rebate point gift certificates before they expire. FT gives NO SECOND CHANCES I, however, offer ETERNAL SALVATION @ LOW,LOW PRICES!
#4 (permalink)      6/7/2015 8:08:52 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
+1 details
BTW, love your signature!!
Been meaning to tell you since I saw it.
#5 (permalink)      6/7/2015 8:13:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18261
Why not buy the Xtar for a couple of bucks more?
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#6 (permalink)      6/7/2015 8:14:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18261
That's a genuine question by the way, as I'm in the market for a super tiny single cell emergency charger.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#7 (permalink)      6/7/2015 8:29:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Schnarph
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 2621
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos2405
Thanks for the answers revmp, and glad I could provide some entertainment.;)

I'm not going to toss out the v7.1, it's still good for emergencies when used with caution. They screwed up pretty bad with the v7.1, issues had not been published (here) when I purchased it. The reason I bought one of these in the first place was the 1.2A charging and powerbank function, both of which function but can't be left unattended.

For $6 I'm thinking of getting the new v8.0. If a v7.1 is shipped by accident (which happened for a while at first), I'll be able to return it since FT has changed the listing.
Your advertisement here
#8 (permalink)      6/7/2015 8:38:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
Schnarph wrote:

Thanks for the answers revmp, and glad I could provide some entertainment.;)

No problem!

If a v7.1 is shipped by accident (which happened for a while at first), I'll be able to return it since FT has changed the listing.

Short of a v7 that's been hiding on the back of the shelf, I think you're ok. Others have said they got v8, going back a few months. But yeah, one of those FT high points, easy no-hassle returns, makes it feel a lot safer in this kind of situation.

#9 (permalink)      9/1/2015 11:22:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
revmp
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2152
  • Reviews 223
  • Kudos681
Nymzavril wrote:

Why not buy the Xtar for a couple of bucks more?.....That's a genuine question by the way, as I'm in the market for a super tiny single cell emergency charger.

I have to assume that you are referring to the Xtar MC1 Mini Portable Single Slot Li-Ion Battery Charger, SKU 2396000, $7.41 (US) as that is the only Xtar model FT carries that is a single slot charger.
I never did a comparo before buying the Miller, so let's do that now.
First thing I see is that the Xtar is $2.25 more, but that's probably attributable to the better known brand name. Both units have a 65mm maximum battery length.
Ah, the Xtar's output:4.2V ±.05V/0.5A ± .05A.
The Millers output:5.1V/1.2 A.
That specification is new to version 9 I believe. I have the v8, and I'm fairly certain that it outputs 4.2V/1.2A. Not sure why the step up in voltage output.
They are both CC/CV chargers, both are reputable brands with a proven track record of quality and reliability.
The Miller ML-102 (this model) can be used as a portable power bank, the Xtar can not.
The Xtar can charge pretty much all sizes of Li battery up to and including 18650, while the Miller is a fixed size charger.
However, the Xtar accomplishes this with the use of a sliding negative contact mechanism. I personally have not had great experiences with that mechanism, but that was on a cheaper, no-name charger. But, a unit with no moving parts is going to be less susceptible to component failure than a unit with them.
So, I guess the decision hinges on just a few things: price, size flexibility vs. durability, and charge time/speed, as dictated by output.
I would still go for the Miller having done this comparison. I don't think I would bother with a multi-size charger unless it was a bigger, maybe 4-slot unit that could handle charging different size cells at the same time and it would have to be built quite robustly. I know such chargers are available, but I only use 18650's currently.(my 14500's, 14650's, and 18350's all expired over the last six months; most were real cheapies anyway.)
Well Nymz, this offer anything you didn't know already? Like, months ago? ~:-]

Edited on 9/1/2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typoz etc
#10 (permalink)      9/20/2015 2:39:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
huangd
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1
Hi. Just to confirm, can this be used to power xiaoyi ip camera?
http://www.mi.com/xiaoyi/