shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

BAD Version 7.1 (HKJ test/review)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/27/2015 8:27:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
No need to stay near it and look at the battery for 1~2 hours.
Checking temperature at least a few minutes after begining, ~1/2, ~3/4 of charge and disconnect the charging power as soon as possible after the green led light up are enough.
#12 (permalink)      2/27/2015 9:49:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Felix1220
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 510
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos361
cant find a reason why 7.1 has this issue and 7.0 not

PICTURES
#13 (permalink)      2/27/2015 10:09:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
Back side, R5 is not the same value, might be wrong value.
Could possibly be caused by resistor tolerance too.
#14 (permalink)      2/27/2015 10:19:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Felix1220
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 510
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos361
204 - 2003 = both 200kOhm
its only 3 digit and 4 digit code
#15 (permalink)      2/27/2015 10:43:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
D1 is a zener diode ?
Else than U2 i don't see any other diff then.

Edited on 2/27/2015 at 10:47 AM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      2/27/2015 10:48:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Felix1220
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 510
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos361
I am sorry, i dont know
#17 (permalink)      2/28/2015 12:49:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Felix1220
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 510
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos361
I have asked FT via Ticket if they can ask the manufacturer if there is a workaround for the Problem, maybe change a resistor, or whatever.

FT answered

The supplier requires proof of defect for warranty. Would you mind provide us a video to show the problem as it seems a photo can't help in this case?

i should make a video where i overcharge one of my batteries??

I have closed the Ticket, what should i answer. maybe this is what they want with videos

#18 (permalink)      2/28/2015 1:04:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
A picture of a dmm showing more voltage than 4.35V reading at the battery should suffice.
Make sure the dmm leads and the battery are in the pic as well.
#19 (permalink)      3/1/2015 6:09:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ghost.of.Fast.Tech
  • JoinedDec 2012
  • Posts 158
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos104
Do not intentionally overcharge a battery just to take a picture for FT. Batteries are internally damaged from such abuse and will no longer be safe. Either right away or at any random time later it can vent with flame from the hidden damage it sustained. If it vents inside a sealed pipe (like a flashlight) it can violently explode. People have been badly injured.
JPBel, you should never advise people to intentionally overcharge a li-ion!

For anyone who already has one, only use it if you can keep an eye on it. You must not leave the battery in the charger too long after the light turns green. A 3400 mAh battery (highest common real capacity) should be fully charged from empty in 4 hours. Lower capacity or partially discharged batteries will be done sooner. Set an alarm to remember to remove the batttery or plug it into an outlet timer.
Do not ever leave it charging overnight or when you are not home.

I would encourage people to contact fasttech and link to HKJ's test. Fasttech specs are entirely wrong, most importantly it does not have overcharge protection as FT claims.

Edited on 3/1/2015 at 7:06 AM. Reason:
I am Not a FastTech staff member.
#20 (permalink)      3/1/2015 6:52:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Felix1220
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 510
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos361
Ghost.of.Fast.Tech wrote:

Do not intentionally overcharge a battery just to take a picture for FT. Batteries are internally damaged from such abuse and will no longer be safe.

I gave up the whole story, looks like there is no answer from FT else then taking a video while overcharge, so i have closed the ticket before it makes me angry.
not worth the 6$

Edited on 3/1/2015 at 6:53 AM. Reason:
#21 (permalink)      3/1/2015 2:22:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
Ghost.of.Fast.Tech wrote:

Do not intentionally overcharge a battery just to take a picture for FT. Batteries are internally damaged from such abuse and will no longer be safe. Either right away or at any random time later it can vent with flame from the hidden damage it sustained. If it vents inside a sealed pipe (like a flashlight) it can violently explode. People have been badly injured. JPBel, you should never advise people to intentionally overcharge a li-ion!

For anyone who already has one, only use it if you can keep an eye on it. You must not leave the battery in the charger too long after the light turns green. A 3400 mAh battery (highest common real capacity) should be fully charged from empty in 4 hours. Lower capacity or partially discharged batteries will be done sooner. Set an alarm to remember to remove the batttery or plug it into an outlet timer.Do not ever leave it charging overnight or when you are not home.I would encourage people to contact fasttech and link to HKJ's test. Fasttech specs are entirely wrong, most importantly it does not have overcharge protection as FT claims.

I agree with you, it should not be done in an uncontrolled way by someone who have no ideas about the risks it involve.

Since we are on batteries safety discussion.

What will happen to the battery are greater capacity loss than normal and greater potential for overheating during that specific charge.
It will not render the battery useless if it does'nt overheat and vent.
But subsequent charges might require that the CC be adjusted down for that battery, so that the CC stay within the C charge rating of that battery base on its actual capacity.

Even with normal wears and tears the capacity should be monitored, and the CC be keept within the battery C charge rating according to the battery actual capacity.
Batteries should be discarded as unsafe to be charged in that charger if it can't adjust the CC suitably.
Failure to do so pose more risks than trickle overcharge do as more current = more heat generated.

No matter the charger used, never leave the batteries in a charger for long period of time after the charge is completed, and monitor your batteries capacity.

What is the CV open voltage at the battery terminals of the charger, without a battery in it ?

There are lots of chances that it is the trickle circuit itself that is causing the problem, due to inrush current.
But If CV can be measured and the open voltage is > 4.35V you will have the proof you need.