Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Severely Overcharging!
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/10/2014 7:35:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Granted
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 18
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos11
Severely Overcharging!
Severely overcharged and killed two vtc4's....not cheap batteries. Thought this was user error but these batteries were coming of the charger at 4.6v

I'm not sure if this is a problem with these chargers or what.

Should I put the switch on 3.0 instead of leaving it on the 3.6
Don't want this to ruin yet another battery.
#2 (permalink)      5/10/2014 7:42:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
heffo
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 2429
  • Reviews 147
  • Kudos3423
It should be set at 3.6v. Sounds like your charger is fucked, it should stop charging when the battery reaches 4.2v.
#3 (permalink)      5/10/2014 7:48:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pickles
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 2200
  • Reviews 58
  • Kudos2230
I guess you could say that the only thing you can Trust this thing for is to start a Fire and burn your house down.

#4 (permalink)      8/11/2014 2:11:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vesper
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 114
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos42
ya or maybe a piece of metal wire or random insect got in there, although since people flail about randomly putting blind faith in anything with a logo, and then of course blame their god for failing them...

My old TR-005 that I keep clean and such still pounding away into a 35A 650 happily and without noise, heat or interference. Note here that I wont celebrate TrustFire as the second coming though.

Maybe watching those ridiculous police propaganda shows complete with soul destroying imagery of dead chopped up bodies like the one behind the image clouds peoples minds into this black and white, on and off attitude?

Thank-you and good day!
#5 (permalink)      9/8/2014 9:03:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
HighPlainsVaper
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 231
  • Reviews 60
  • Kudos92
I HIGHLY recommend the Nitecore brand chargers sold here on FastTech. It shuts off when the battery is fully charged and is fool proof, and SAFE. You get what you pay for.
#6 (permalink)      5/31/2015 5:53:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DragonUS
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 682
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos279
I bought mine from a local trusted vendor more than two years ago. Zero issues til now.
At rest without load, measures about 4.21V. Faulty chargers, e.g. the 'Fake' Ultrafire WF-139 can show more than 4.35V without load. You might wanna check if your is the case.

Charges at about 500mA when bat is below 3.6V, trickle charge only 21mA when my 18650 reaches above 4.15V or thereabouts.

You can measure the charge current very easily at different stages during charge, by connecting in line - place the negative end of battery on the slider tip, then just connect in line with the the positive end of the charger.

Actually, if you managed to get a good Trustfire TR-001, like many do, its a very good and reliable value-for-money charger, that can rival the best out there, despite many claims otherwise to go for nitecore/XTAR etc. LOL.

Mine has no over-charge issues whatsover, even when I leave it in charger more than 6 hours, it only shows about 4.21V. I also did not experience any flickering, none-charging, strange humming noise etc. like those faulty ones shown in youtube.

A good TR-001 can consistently charge a 2500mAH 18650 in 4-5 hrs, which is good enough for me.

However, my TR-001 has a patent no. below the 'Multi-function' wordings like the one below, different from the FT one here, so could be more 'authentic', LOL.

Edited on 5/31/2015 at 6:01 PM. Reason: