shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

[Your] best setup on this? Or best setup for big/thick clouds? Anyone modding the airflow?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/24/2014 11:08:38 PM   + tips
vaporoni1
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 308
  • Reviews 29
  • Kudos74
[Your] best setup on this? Or best setup for big/thick clouds? Anyone modding the airflow?
Hey everyone,
I am wondering what setup everyone is using on their aqua's. I am interested in getting big/thick clouds on this so I have been trying dual coils @ about .6 ohms w/ cotton. I am getting decent clouds, but I feel like it doesn't quite compete with say a dripper.

I think this may be because of the airholes being a bit smaller than those I bored out on my dripper. I took a look at the derlin base section and tried carving a big into the grooves, but was worried to do too much and thus I did not get much of a difference so far.

Any ideas? What is your preferred setup? Or your preferred setup for thick clouds? Anyone try modding the airflow or have an idea about doing so?
#2 (permalink)      1/24/2014 11:36:46 PM   + tips
Aesop
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 986
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos942
2 kudos received details
There's enough slack space between the Delrin in base and the deck that it's not your choke point. You can bore out the intake air holes (on tank threads) and output air holes (on deck) a little and get some improvement. We did it on my buddies this weekend, and I'm waiting to get a 2nd from here before I do it on mine. can't do too much or the chimney becomes your choke point.

My original build was 0.4 ohm (2 x 0.8 ohm micro-coils with cotton), but I noticed it was getting too hot both in vape and the tank itself was getting hot. I've since tried 0.5 and 0.6 ohm builds with better flavor and a more comfortable vape. On my buddies, the 0.4 build wasn't as hot, got a little better flavor, but still not quite as good as my 0.6 ohm build on mine.

This weekend I may try some crazy builds. I'm thinking dragon coil one side to get the vapor and a flavor wick where I splice in a wick above the coil (normally below, but doen't want to interfere with airflow). Will post some picks if it turns out well.
#3 (permalink)      1/25/2014 8:48:04 AM   + tips
NsaneJain
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 1373
  • Reviews 51
  • Kudos840
Good deal Aesop. I was thinking of trying that build and a couple others I saw ripptrippers do tutorials on YouTube for a dripper. Interested to know if it would work on the aqua. Haven't even had time to clean mine yet and I still need cotton too as what I have has a taste to me so I was gonna try cvs brand and give another go at cotton.
#4 (permalink)      1/25/2014 9:40:06 AM   + tips
dwstruth
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 529
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos192
I opened up my air holes just a tad, but it made a noticeable difference. I've only done 2 builds on mine thus far, but I haven't come close to matching the flavor of my 3.1. The vapor production is good, but I need to change something for better flavor. I now have dual 28 guage micro's @ about .7 ohms. I'm thinking of trying 30 guage, and likely be around 1 ohm....

Anyone else been surprised, in a bad way, with the flavor?
#5 (permalink)      1/25/2014 10:44:37 AM   + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos135
I get more flavor with the air holes hardly exposed, why drill out the holes, I mean unless you're cloud chaser.

I've heard 30 gauge is the way to go but I'm getting great flavor(very much on par with the Tobeco Kayfun Lite +), very good vapor production and a mellow throat hit with 28 gauge. If you want more throat hit drop your coils right down onto the deck as close as you can get them without touching.

I use boiled 100% cotton balls and size my micro coil wrapping rod to the size of the wick channels and bring the wicks all the way out as far as possible to the threading for the tank. The cotton isn't really loose fitting in the coils, maybe compressed a quarter of it's diameter when pulled through the coils and into the channels.

8 wraps of the 28 gauge Nichrome for each coil and I don't wrap two coils I just wrap a coil move over a space on the rod and wrap the next continuously. The coils I'm running are about 3mm off the deck and centered over the air holes as much as possible.

Unlike others I have watch videos made by I'm able to use my juice flow control at about 1.5 to 2 turns opened and it doesn't last long with this small a tank.
#6 (permalink)      1/25/2014 11:42:43 AM   + tips
dwstruth
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 529
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos192
OK, thanks. Why not drill the holes? With the adjustable tank system, it just provides more options. I can always close it off. It's like none of the sweetness comes through in my RY4 like with my 3.1. I'll get it figured out, or just use it for fruity flavors, or....something.
#7 (permalink)      1/25/2014 11:48:33 AM   + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos135
I don't have a 3.1 I have the lite version but I would think they would be very similar. Are you using micro coils in your 3.1 or maybe silica? I tried silica in my KFLite and the flavor wasn't nearly as good as with cotton wick.
#8 (permalink)      1/25/2014 12:09:22 PM   + tips
Aesop
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 986
  • Reviews 28
  • Kudos942
I agree with Wylie on the cotton! For flavor, its great and you can control flow too a large degree by how dense you make the wicks. Sterile rolled cotton from pharmacy works well for me, and there is no need to boil as it is not bleached or dyed.

For me, the main reason for boring out the holes is ventilation. Even at 0.6 ohms, with the small chamber it gets a bit hot after a few chain hits. To keep the flavor and prevent airiness, I change the wicking to deliver more fluid to the coils and cover more surface area on the coils. It's a delicate dance, but I'm getting closer to my target vape on the Aqua :)
#9 (permalink)      1/25/2014 12:47:37 PM   + tips
Ghost210
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 179
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos38
Okay, here is what i did.

On the Delrin in base, I filed a channel to connect the two airholes on opposite sides of eachother, (dont know why it was like that in the first place when both airholes were on one side) its really easy to do with fingernail file, (but home depot or lowes has a needle file kit for 3-4 dollars, good investment IMO) I then used the needle file to slightly bore out the holes on both bases. It did improve the airflow, and i have had no problems with flavor, its actually really great!
#10 (permalink)      1/25/2014 12:48:14 PM   + tips
dwstruth
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 529
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos192
Yeah, I use cotton in everything. You know......I built duals in my 3.1 once, and didn't like the flavor of my RY4 as much as with a single. Maybe certain juices are better with certain set ups. I did get a better flavor just now from my Aqua by closing off the air supply significantly.
#11 (permalink)      1/25/2014 12:54:47 PM   + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 322
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos135
1 kudos received details
Glad to here it's coming along for you. That was the first improvement I made was with the air flow control and than the juice control afterward help it along some too.

It may be that your juice likes a little higher ohms resistance, just a touch less heat maybe, it's just a guess.