shopping cart empty
[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday between Oct. 1, 2014 and Oct. 3, 2014. Services will resume on Oct. 4, 2014 (details).
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Thread material?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/25/2013 9:56:53 PM   quote/reply + tips
shakeytails
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 27
  • Reviews 40
  • Kudos14
Thread material?
Does anybody know what the threads are made of? Are they stainless steel? I'm having a heck of a time with the cheaper batteries that are listed as "alloy" because the 510 threads are stripping/wearing out.

Is this one any tougher or can somebody point me in the direction of a battery with a better quality connector?
#2 (permalink)      9/19/2013 2:36:08 AM   quote/reply + tips
chris547
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 189
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos71
I think you will find all the threads are cut in stainless steel it's just very low grade. You need to consider a different strategy to mollycoddle the inner 510 threads.

1) Only use EVODs and tanks that use the outer threads.

2) Charging uses the inner threads so plug in the charger by its self and get the green LED lit. Then very gently screw in the switched off battery to the live charger using a gentle touch. Stop immediately the green LED turns red.

3) Always carry two batteries and drain each battery until it starts flashing and then change batteries. Don't over drain it!

4) Regard it as a consumable and buy 4 at a time then the price drops from $7.36 to $6.71

5) Look for brand names however that's not straight forward e.g. http://www.fasttech.com/forums/1422600/t/1017244/these-are-post-recall-right

6) Buy one of these for each battery; http://www.fasttech.com/forums/1284600/t/1002763/what-exactly-does-this-do

The design pitch of the inner 510 threads is too fine; we are all looking for a better connector. It is called a MOD however they also have issues and they are large.

Edited on 9/19/2013 at 2:42 AM. Reason:
#3 (permalink)      9/19/2013 10:43:40 AM   quote/reply + tips
shakeytails
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 27
  • Reviews 40
  • Kudos14
Yeah, Chris, that's pretty much what I've been doing.

I like the Evod tanks better than the CE4-type anyway. They seem to last forever with little maintenance, and the replacement coils are cheap enough as well as being changeable with a full tank of juice.

I now use 3 batteries throughout the day, each with it's own tank/flavor. And every time I place an order, I buy another battery. I might go to using an adapter/beauty ring on each battery, but it makes the battery longer and I think more likely to break from buckling. I think a bit of low strength thread-lock would hold the adapter in place so it doesn't come out easily, but will come out when it needs to be changed. I haven't tried it yet.

The thread issue is what's keeping me from buying a mod. I'd love a Vamo V2, but if the threads get messed up, I have a fairly expensive non-working metal tube as opposed to a $7 battery that's good for at least a few months.
#4 (permalink)      9/20/2013 6:40:08 AM   quote/reply + tips
chris547
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 189
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos71
Yes your last sentence is the crux...

All this stuff ...just consumables really...I'll reflect and get back to you ... there's not a single answer.

Perhaps a MOD at home, EVOD/EGO short 250/300 battery for the pocket and something mini when you want to pose. Just keep buying cheapostuff... ditching it when it fails.... and thread locking in adaptors to the MODs and changing out the adaptors as they get shagged.

Go easy don't use too much or the electrical conductivity might suffer. use a smidgin. Consider doing similar with Araldite but keep turning it as it hardens you rebuild resin threads to replace the steel ones.

The issue with MODs and batteries is another pain to get one's head round so it goes on... and on....great fun!

Edited on 9/20/2013 at 7:28 AM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      9/20/2013 7:36:34 AM   quote/reply + tips
chris547
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 189
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos71
By the way a thread cut in a good aluminium alloy will be better than a thread cut in crap stainless steel.

Alloy is a meaningless term as virtually all metals are alloys it just means a mixture of different metals and possibly other things. Heat/cooling treatment also matters and working the metal aligns the structure and changes the properties. A lot of this is about crystalline structures.

Specifying stainless steel or aluminium alloy is pointless, you need detail.